what trousers do you wear?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

what trousers do you wear?

Post by louthepoo »

I'm going to ride to work all through the year bar snow and ice so will need some protective clothing. I work in a shirt and trousers so they will have to go over the trousers, want waterproof, armoured and shortarsed legged! Any recommendations? Cheaper the better ;)
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: what trousers do you wear?

Post by Taz »

I bought Cordura texpeed armoured lined overtrousers from http://www.bikeweardirect.co.uk/shop.ht ... ory_id=534 and they are brilliant. I think you can find them on eBay too.
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

cheers Taz, just a couple of questions.

It says they have a full length zip! does that mean it has a zip ALL up the leg?

how waterproof are they?

how warm are they in cold weather?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Hein Gericke used to do Boost pants for around £70 which are excellent.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

For the winter, what about snowmobile gear?
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Yes there is a zip that goes up 90 percent of each side and its velcroed and doesnt leak and Ive ridden in some big downpours. I dont actually use the zips as they fit over my work trousers fine without unzipping as I put my shoes or boots on after they are on. They are fully waterproof and if you get the lined version, they are warm. Ive rode them in 1 or 2 degrees centegrade and they are fine. Thats as cold as it gets here, but would be ok if colder and you could always wear thermal long johns as well! Also they look smart and I have no problem walking around town if I park away from the bike.

Being lined and with the armour knee pads they are a bit bulky but I keep them in my office rather than under the seat so I can dress and be ready before I step outside. I now can ride in all weather as also have my 30 year old Belstaff jacket. I do also have bib and braces belstaff overtrousers, but they are a pain to get on and not a good look if walking around town and are even more bulky, so I now use the Texpeed instead.

I use cheap 20 quid sailing boots in a downpour and put my work shoes under the seat. The Texpeed fits nicely over the boots and my feet stay dry.

In summer I mostly have at the ready cheap leaky camping quality showerproof overtrousers and keep them under the seat all the time. But if there is a downpour on way to work will use the Texpeed. ie I dont care about getting a bit wet on way home from work in summer. I do keep a spare pair of dry socks at work in case I get caught out without putting my sailing boots on and they occasionally come in handy ;). Also I bought high quality Thinsulate lined waterproof gloves but still get water running down my arms into them if its pissing down! Need ideas on how to stop that!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

mad trapper wrote:For the winter, what about snowmobile gear?
Not generally available in the UK.
We get a few inches from time to time but nothing that would warrant purchase of a snowmobile or sustain a snowmobile &/or accessory business.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

Taz wrote:Yes there is a zip that goes up 90 percent of each side and its velcroed and doesnt leak and Ive ridden in some big downpours. I dont actually use the zips as they fit over my work trousers fine without unzipping as I put my shoes or boots on after they are on. They are fully waterproof and if you get the lined version, they are warm. Ive rode them in 1 or 2 degrees centegrade and they are fine. Thats as cold as it gets here, but would be ok if colder and you could always wear thermal long johns as well! Also they look smart and I have no problem walking around town if I park away from the bike.

Being lined and with the armour knee pads they are a bit bulky but I keep them in my office rather than under the seat so I can dress and be ready before I step outside. I now can ride in all weather as also have my 30 year old Belstaff jacket. I do also have bib and braces belstaff overtrousers, but they are a pain to get on and not a good look if walking around town and are even more bulky, so I now use the Texpeed instead.

I use cheap 20 quid sailing boots in a downpour and put my work shoes under the seat. The Texpeed fits nicely over the boots and my feet stay dry.

In summer I mostly have at the ready cheap leaky camping quality showerproof overtrousers and keep them under the seat all the time. But if there is a downpour on way to work will use the Texpeed. ie I dont care about getting a bit wet on way home from work in summer. I do keep a spare pair of dry socks at work in case I get caught out without putting my sailing boots on and they occasionally come in handy ;). Also I bought high quality Thinsulate lined waterproof gloves but still get water running down my arms into them if its pissing down! Need ideas on how to stop that!
I think i'd use the zip as i have more of a fear of falling off than just getting wet, I dont think the velcro would stay sealed!

Its a toss up between the trousers you suggested and these http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/shop/pr ... black.html

i like the idea that they are half price but i also like the zipped sides for easier getting into of the others!
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

gn2 wrote:Hein Gericke used to do Boost pants for around £70 which are excellent.
I'm going to take a ride down tomorrow and see if they are still open in Dudley, hopefully there will still be some shortarsed sized trousers at a good discount!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote: but still get water running down my arms into them if its pissing down! Need ideas on how to stop that!

If you can, tuck your gloves inside your jacket sleeve
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

gn2 wrote:
We get a few inches from time to time but nothing that would warrant purchase of a snowmobile or sustain a snowmobile &/or accessory business.
Thats too bad. I love snowmobiling in Northern Wisconsin. We either get blizzards one year or rain the next here in Illinois. But all kinds of snowmobile riding gear available, leather included. My snowmobile helmet also has built in mask, more insulation and an anti fog double shield.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mad trapper wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Thats too bad. I love snowmobiling in Northern Wisconsin. We either get blizzards one year or rain the next here in Illinois. But all kinds of snowmobile riding gear available, leather included. My snowmobile helmet also has built in mask, more insulation and an anti fog double shield.
We get a couple of inches of snow in Harrogate over the winter. Any more than that simply isn't in good taste. :D
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Eddie uses a Thermoscud, he says it works really well for him: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=133

I just wear my ski pants. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

I got a Thermoscud but don't like it vcery much, I took it off again prefering to wear either bike trousers or ski trousers. I guess that's because I'm used to bigger bikes and don't like the feeling of my legs being 'enclosed', Might sell the Thermoscud need to decide on that soon though.
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

Taz wrote:I bought Cordura texpeed armoured lined overtrousers from http://www.bikeweardirect.co.uk/shop.ht ... ory_id=534 and they are brilliant. I think you can find them on eBay too.
well after the other pair were sold out i decided to get these, they are cheaper on ebay as the postage is a bit cheaper, should get them friday or saturday
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

louthepoo wrote:
Taz wrote:I bought Cordura texpeed armoured lined overtrousers from http://www.bikeweardirect.co.uk/shop.ht ... ory_id=534 and they are brilliant. I think you can find them on eBay too.
well after the other pair were sold out i decided to get these, they are cheaper on ebay as the postage is a bit cheaper, should get them friday or saturday

Did they have xxsa in stock :D
barljo

Post by barljo »

I've just grabbed some GrinFactor kevlar jeans, including some knee & hip inserts. Not a bad deal, and it'll be easier for my short rides than proper trousers.

I'll keep an eye out next summer in advance of Isle of Man TT next year and let you guys know if there's any good gear deals.
Tristik wrote: I've never been concerned about my driving. Ever. It's everyone else that I'm worried about.
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

qed wrote:
louthepoo wrote:

Did they have xxsa in stock :D
I got some didn't I ;)
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

barljo wrote:I've just grabbed some GrinFactor kevlar jeans, including some knee & hip inserts. Not a bad deal, and it'll be easier for my short rides than proper trousers.

I'll keep an eye out next summer in advance of Isle of Man TT next year and let you guys know if there's any good gear deals.
I'm looking at getting some kevlar jeans, I haven't heard of GrinFactor are they any good? I was looking at Hood or Draggin! I saw a few pairs of non descript cheap kevlar jeans on ebay but they look like jeans my dad would wear!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I use hood jeans even on my "real" bikes. I've got a sand coloured pair without armour that I use for the scooter if I'm going any distance. Like work today :|

Top quality and service at a good price. I even got my last set for free as the type I had were under development and needed a couple of things amending