Helmet Cheek pads for Glasses

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Helmet Cheek pads for Glasses

Post by Tristik »

~~
Hey all! I'm trying to find aftermarket cheek pad inserts designed for users who wear glasses. The helmet I recently ordered (linked below) came with full cheek pads that do not account for the room needed near the temples to wear glasses. If I remove the pads, the helmet still fits well and I can wear my glasses, but I'd think using the helmet without support in that area would somewhat negate it's protection. In addition: Are pad inserts fairly universal? Do they vary by brand, or brand as well as production line?

Any help,tips, or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/productDetail ... &leaf=2032
~~
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Helmet Cheek pads for Glasses

Post by gn2 »

The helmet is not supposed to be used when the pads are removed.
Personally I would never wear glasses when riding, instead I would use soft contacts.
Fortunately I don't have to.
When choosing a helmet it's best to try it on with your glasses.
If the glasses don't fit or it's not comfy, move on to the next one.
Sounds to me like you've bought the wrong one.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I think you should have bought a helmet that is 'glasses capable'. My Shark Vision - r has small strips that can be removed for glasses wearers and additional padding that can be removed for inserting (bluetooth) headphones. I haven't done either, but read it in the Shark manual that came with the helmet.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Or maybe you need different glasses. I have two pair. One pair has a wire frame and wire "arms?" that I have no issues with my HJC helmet. The other pair has plastic arms and I have NO chance of wearing them comfortably with my helmet.

Either the glasses or the Helmet have to change... sorry
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

Thanks for the input folks.
I have a pair of plastic glasses that have safety/transition glass in them I plan to use for riding.
I will have to chat with the store owner about finding a helmet that will fit my needs. I am just really hoping to find a full face one I can use. Half helms seem like they could let debris thru. Plus the shop has little in store inventory but has a large catalog to order from.
Oh and I have tried contacts twice in the past and they dont work. The doc said I have unusually small eye openings heh.
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
Just to update:

After trying on a few different helmets and brands at the store, I found one that fits tight, but has soft enough cheek pads to squeeze my glasses through (wasn't remotely possible with the Z1R Phantom helmet as the padding was extremely dense/hard).

Got this one in the white/red/black. Yeah, it's not my first choice for looks, but wanted something more visible than black and didn't want to break the bank. This helmet should get noticed, heh. Besides, it's Snell certified.

http://www.midwestactioncycle.com/Cyber ... mets&pos=3
~~
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

excellent! Those looks aren't for me, but at least you'll be comfortable!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

SNELL certified is good, they test chin impacts too (which DOT doesn't).

I have one pair of glasses, but I removed the temple padding so they fit in my helmet without removing padding. Like GN2 suggested, without the helmet being designed for those pads to be removed, you shouldn't remove them, or the helmet will be less effective.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
Even if I had worn it with removed padding, I'd have to assume it would still be safer than a half helm, which was looking to be my only other option until I found that other helmet (and w/o spending hundreds of dollars). My glasses still fit a little odd in them. They don't really squeeze by the padding so much as sit on top of the cheek padding, but the pads are crafted in such a way that the arms of my glasses just happen to kinda go at an upwards angle and sit slightly higher on my face. The glasses I have for riding have much larger lenses than my regular glasses, so it's a non-issue.
~~