Fly brand jackets?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Fly brand jackets?

Post by speedandstyle »

Anybody use any of the gear from Fly? I am shopping around for a new summer mesh jacket and Fly has two that look good. I am on a tight budget so pricey brands are out and I insist on hi-viz yellow for safety. My old jacket is a Speed and Strength but they no longer make jackets in hi-viz for some strange reason.

http://www.flyracing.com/product/street ... ellowblack

http://www.flyracing.com/product/street ... 918/hi-viz
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Fly brand jackets?

Post by Valiant »

I find Amazon to be helpful at these times:
http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Racing-Coolpr ... Descending
http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Racing-Street ... acing+flux

For an alternative you could try Joe Rocket, it's a popular budget brand:
http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Phoeni ... Y0Y90BT2F1
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

I would recommend Joe Rocket gear to anyone on a budget... other than their gloves. I've had great success with all of their products. I purchased three pairs of gloves; 1 for my wife, and 2 for me (warm/cold). Both of mine had the stitching come loose within 2 months of ownership. My wife's are still okay, but she'd worn them all of 3-4 hours.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Thanks for the replies.

I will keep the Joe Rocket Phoenix in mind but I wish it was more yellow and less black. Black is hot in summer and the more yellow the more likely I will be seen.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

In that case:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firs ... tex-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe- ... -30-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-an ... esh-jacket

Btw, Revzilla also have product reviews, and they have an outstanding selection, free shipping, and bonus bucks.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Going on the impression that you are in the U.S., (please, please add your location S&S)
Take a look at all the hi-viz jackets Revzilla has to offer http://www.revzilla.com/hi-viz-motorcycle-jackets

The Tourmaster Air 3 has a lot of fans from what I've read on cycle forums. I have a Cortech mesh that is just about identical, it flows great air, is comfortable and provides good armor protection.
Glad you're seeking Hi-Viz! Cheers :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

I added my location, yes I am in the USA.

That Icon Anthem looks nice, I added it to my list of possibles. So does anybody have good or bad things to say about Icon??

My budget limit is $200 but I would prefer closer to $100. So that eliminates a few of the options you guys suggested.

I want hi-viz yellow{with black or gray accents} but not a black jacket with hi-viz yellow accents. To be honest that makes little sense to me from a safety standpoint. I also don't want black for summer use, too hot.

My winter jacket is First Gear brand and I HATE it. I will never buy that brand again.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Is there something in particular you want out of it aside from being a mesh and high-vis?

Other than the reviews already posted, maybe check out the video review?:

If anything, the jacket will be a relaxed fit, so it's recommended you order a size down in order to keep the armor in place.

You won't get much responses as far as specific gear brands, given that most people wouldn't wear riding gear on a scooter anyhow. If you have any particular questions, try posting in the Q&A section on Revzilla for the particular product.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for adding location S&S :)

- HI VIZ - Glow n Show!
Got another website for Ya: http://www.compacc.com/apparel-hiviz#
I watched the videos for these two jackets that happen to be right in your comfort $$ zone.
Found on page One, the:
Shadow Scorcher Mesh $89.99 and
Shadow Pikes Peak Big Air $79.99

>>> Watch the videos all the way through <<< They both look like a lot of (mesh) jacket for the dollar(s)!
(Please note that I have never owned either of these jackets. Their reviews make them tempting).
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I have and my Honda dealer carries Fulmer as the low budget alternative. They are excellent IMO and also come in hi-viz colors. I got mine (the Traction) discounted for exactly $100. Two of the Honda salesman have them. I wore the jacket all winter long and stayed toasty warm using some Columbia bibs to complement. The jacket has full CE armor and a zip out liner for warm weather. The sizes got to 4X. I defy someone to match the quality for the price. :P

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/gear/jacke ... /traction/
speedandstyle wrote:I added my location, yes I am in the USA.

That Icon Anthem looks nice, I added it to my list of possibles. So does anybody have good or bad things to say about Icon??

My budget limit is $200 but I would prefer closer to $100. So that eliminates a few of the options you guys suggested.

I want hi-viz yellow{with black or gray accents} but not a black jacket with hi-viz yellow accents. To be honest that makes little sense to me from a safety standpoint. I also don't want black for summer use, too hot.

My winter jacket is First Gear brand and I HATE it. I will never buy that brand again.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

WhiteNoise wrote:
Got another website for Ya: http://www.compacc.com/apparel-hiviz#
I watched the videos for these two jackets that happen to be right in your comfort $$ zone.
Found on page One, the:
Shadow Scorcher Mesh $89.99 and
Shadow Pikes Peak Big Air $79.99

>>> Watch the videos all the way through <<< They both look like a lot of (mesh) jacket for the dollar(s)!
(Please note that I have never owned either of these jackets. Their reviews make them tempting).
I am tempted to try the Scorcher and the video is very convincing. However some of the customer reviews make me wonder about the quality{glad to see they posted the bad reviews however}. I also wish the shoulders were yellow instead of black. My shoulders get hot sitting in traffic and that is with yellow so black would be even hotter.

The Pikes Peak looks nice for fall/spring but the summer is far too hot here for anything other than full mesh{trust me I tried}. Besides the Pikes Peak is being discontinued and they don't have the yellow in my size anymore.

tbln930 wrote:I have and my Honda dealer carries Fulmer as the low budget alternative. They are excellent IMO and also come in hi-viz colors. I got mine (the Traction) discounted for exactly $100. Two of the Honda salesman have them. I wore the jacket all winter long and stayed toasty warm using some Columbia bibs to complement. The jacket has full CE armor and a zip out liner for warm weather. The sizes got to 4X. I defy someone to match the quality for the price. :P

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/gear/jacke ... /traction/
Thanks for the suggestion, but it is too much black, not enough yellow and I want full mesh.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a Tourmaster Air 3 that we got a good deal on. We were looking for other bike items while one of our pcx scooters was getting a tire change at our dealer. I guess they had an overstock of them because while i was trying it on the saleman came over and told me that it was on sale AND because we had been such good customers he could give us another 10% off for customer loyalty. That brought it just under our $200 limit. The deals are out there but you really have to look for them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

S&S, you'll find something ;) but at the price you want to spend, it won't meet all your criteria. One can afford to be fussier when our pockets are full(er). So....."Something's Gotta Give"...as Poppa use to say.

I've said this before (as an analogy), when served a large Menu, the choosing gets harder. All big Menus do that to me! I refrain from going into diners for that very reason. Too much! Tis Overwhelming.

I think the Scorcher Jacket is worth a shot for that price. But certainly not my decision.
About the Black color on parts of the jacket, how long will you be standing still on your scoot that you will bake under the fireball above? Just at traffic stops, signs, lights and such....right? Will you really get Hot, Hot then? I lived in FL for 15 years and rode in 100 degree heat. My 75% mesh jacket back then had black on it too. I was okay. Could I have been cooler at stops? Hell yeah,...but I wasn't having coffee sitting there. Point is...pick something. Do not ride unprotected, Please.
I'll stop there. I'm not yer poppa or mama. Peace, oh and one more thing.....buy yella! :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:S&S, you'll find something ;) but at the price you want to spend, it won't meet all your criteria. One can afford to be fussier when our pockets are full(er). So....."Something's Gotta Give"...as Poppa use to say.

I've said this before (as an analogy), when served a large Menu, the choosing gets harder. All big Menus do that to me! I refrain from going into diners for that very reason. Too much! Tis Overwhelming.

I think the Scorcher Jacket is worth a shot for that price. But certainly not my decision.
About the Black color on parts of the jacket, how long will you be standing still on your scoot that you will bake under the fireball above? Just at traffic stops, signs, lights and such....right? Will you really get Hot, Hot then? I lived in FL for 15 years and rode in 100 degree heat. My 75% mesh jacket back then had black on it too. I was okay. Could I have been cooler at stops? Hell yeah,...but I wasn't having coffee sitting there. Point is...pick something. Do not ride unprotected, Please.
I'll stop there. I'm not yer poppa or mama. Peace, oh and one more thing.....buy yella! :D
I like the menu bit. So true.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Deals might be out there but I need to order soon as it is already getting too hot for my cold weather jacket{no liner and vents opened}. No deal to be found at my dealer! They have a monopoly here and they know it, prices are retail and then some. Plus, they don't carry much unless you are in the cruiser crowd{a$$-less chaps anyone?}. I am forced to order online and I am sticking to stores with no restock fees just in case it doesn't fit or has some other problem{that was why I did not return my 1st Gear cold weather jacket - the shipping and restock fee!}.

Florida heat and southwest desert heat are not the same. If I have to sit at a stop for more than minute my shoulders start getting hot. I can live with it but I would prefer the material not be black to keep it as cool as possible. This wasn't a deal breaker for me but the several bad customer reviews convinced me to look for something other than the Scorcher.

A couple reviews with minor complaints of the Fly Air Flux made me remove that one from my list but all those issues are resolved with the Coolpro 2{second generation BTW which probably solved a few issues the first had}. The Icon Anthem looks nice and has good reviews but I prefer a more fitted style jacket. It is also being discontinued and not every store has it in my size and/or in yellow. One of the interesting things I found is the more expensive jackets that come in hi-viz yellow have far less yellow on them, at least for full mesh jackets. I don't understand black for summer!?

Anyway come Friday after I get paid I will be ordering the Fly CoolPro 2 unless I hear horror stories about it. I have asked about jackets on some other riding forums too.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Mr Elbows
Year: 2013

Post by Mr Elbows »

So did you get the jacket? How is it? Currently contemplating getting the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 or Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0.
Red 2013 Honda PCX 150 - very first scooter as of [2/12/15]
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

I ordered it but it has yet to arrive. The tracking says Tuesday. USPS takes forever! I will post my impressions when it gets here, after a ride to test it out of coarse.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

I just finallly read this. My jacket is all black and then i have a armored hi-viz mesh vest over it with removable armor in the vest itself. It gives me much more flexibilty for temperature variation. When its hot i can only wear the vest over a tshirt. Otherwise i pull out the armor most of the time and wear it over the full jacket which has a removable liner and its own armor.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

tbln930 wrote: ...When its hot i can only wear the vest over a tshirt. ...
I always wear a jacket - I have seen and heard too many horror stories to not be fully covered. The son of a friend of mine once slid his bike under a barbed wire fence. When he hit the fence it snagged his arm and pealed the skin from his elbow to wrist. Several surgeries later his arm looks like Frankenstein's monster and he has major nerve damage. Even the simplest jacket would have prevented this. I always wear a jacket even in 110 degree F weather.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

When I got home tonight I found my jacket had come. I have not taken it riding yet so I will just give my initial observations. It is nicely built with good materials. It fits me well after I adjusted the side straps and changed the back armor. In fact my only complaint is the original back armor foam panel. The foam is very stiff and this caused it to be uncomfortable and made the bottom want to stick out. I switched it out for the foam panel from my old Style and Strength jacket. That one is very bendable and cool since it has perforations in it. By the way the Fly jacket has extra back foam armor panels sewn into it so it should offer great protection. I probably won't use the liner but it fits well in the jacket and is of the same quality. Once I test it a few days I will report whether I still like it or not.