PCX150 Helmet

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

butch3r
Year: 2013

PCX150 Helmet

Post by butch3r »

I bought a really bad helmet for my first one. I live in L.A. and prefer a full face helmet for protection and to reduce inhaling smog.

I some helmets recently with a bar/cloth part that goes under the chin to prevent air/particles from coming inside the helmet. What is that cloth part called?

Another issue with the helmet I had is that dust would come into my eye even though the visor was down when I drove.

I'm simply upset with my helmet and want to get a good working one at a reasonable price right away. Suggestions? :)

The chin area has this cloth thing.... what is it called? See image below

butch3r

Re: PCX150 Helmet

Post by butch3r »

I think I found the name. It's called a breath guard or chin curtain.

Now, I'm just trying to find the best helmet for my commute (6 miles) on the freeway to work and then back home through the LA city streets.
butch3r wrote:I bought a really bad helmet for my first one. I live in L.A. and prefer a full face helmet for protection and to reduce inhaling smog.

I some helmets recently with a bar/cloth part that goes under the chin to prevent air/particles from coming inside the helmet. What is that cloth part called?

Another issue with the helmet I had is that dust would come into my eye even though the visor was down when I drove.

I'm simply upset with my helmet and want to get a good working one at a reasonable price right away. Suggestions? :)

The chin area has this cloth thing.... what is it called? See image below
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

What is that 'pull red cord and remove cheek pad' in emergencies about?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:What is that 'pull red cord and remove cheek pad' in emergencies about?
in case you have to hurl?
Attachments
mac.jpg
mac.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

iceman wrote:What is that 'pull red cord and remove cheek pad' in emergencies about?
Its a feature that some of the newer helmets have that allow the cheekpads to be pulled out vertically, or from the bottom. If a rider is on the ground its generally a bad idea to remove his/her helmet. It can and has caused serious neck/head damage. The red emergency tabs pull the cheekpads down and out seperately and thus the helmet is no longer snug to the riders head. Then first responders can safely and carefully remove the helmet to assess possible damage.
My RF-1200 has them
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Sh3p wrote:
Its a feature that some of the newer helmets have that allow the cheekpads to be pulled out vertically, or from the bottom. If a rider is on the ground its generally a bad idea to remove his/her helmet. It can and has caused serious neck/head damage. The red emergency tabs pull the cheekpads down and out seperately and thus the helmet is no longer snug to the riders head. Then first responders can safely and carefully remove the helmet to assess possible damage.
My RF-1200 has them
I like it! My next helmet will have this feature for sure. Makes sense not to wrestle the victims helmet off and mine fits way too tight o_O
butch3r

Post by butch3r »

I didn't get an answer. What is the cloth piece called?

What helmet do you recommend that has this (hopefully under $100)?

butch3r wrote:I think I found the name. It's called a breath guard or chin curtain.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

butch3r wrote:I didn't get an answer. What is the cloth piece called?

What helmet do you recommend that has this (hopefully under $100)?

butch3r wrote:I think I found the name. It's called a breath guard or chin curtain.
I went to a large motorcycle dealer that stocked many, many helmets. Tried the ones on that were in my price range, until I found one that fit snug but comfortably (watch youtubes of correct helmet fitting). Then I wore that one for 20 mins around the store to make certain I liked everything about it (ease on-off, chin fit, cheeks, vision view, etc., etc.)

That chin curtain should help keep out the dust, as should the face shield - but if SoCal has such bad & dirty air that it's getting past that - maybe a tall screen would help.

A 3/4 helmet with goggles?

A cheap helmet on your head is much safer than a very good one siiting on a shelf at home while you ride.
Buy the best you can afford & will wear after a real good trial fit session at the dealers.
If you don't like the dealer price on your helmet, make them an offer - all they can do is say, "no'....then check prices on line for the same helmet.
Good luck.
Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Some say the 'chin curtain' helps stop bugs and such getting inside the helmet (or wasps!) and cuts wind noise. I'm still using either of my £40 helmets (4 star sharp rating) - very comfortable, not too noisy, one is a flip lid and has full removable liners. DOT/ECU approved and came with a carry bag and helmet/visor cleaners. Honestly can't see how spending £400-500 on Shoe or other helmets will benefit me on a 125 scooter - fine if you do lots of fast motorway riding so need ultimate low noise and bells and whistles, but for commuting, a 4 star rated comfortable and cheap helmet seems to make sense. If they pass the tests, and get better ratings than some £400 helmets (many get 1-2 stars!) then I'd rather put the money to use on better clothing.