Advice on Jacket/Trousers

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Advice on Jacket/Trousers

Post by gn2 »

OP lives in the UK.
Most (almost all) of the motorcycle/scooter clothing available in the US is not available in the UK.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I have a First Gear hi viz armored mesh jacket. as seen in my profile photo. This jacket you can wear in 80 plus degrees flows a lot of air. Comes with wind proof liner. Also have a locally made textile armored jacket with quilted liner. Never were this alone since it's not hi viz. I wear a Rev-it cyclone H2O hi viz rain jacket over it in cold weather and Scorpion ventilated riding pants with wind proof liner. Rode today in 50 degree temps and wore lined jogging pants under the riding pants. Instead of buying winter riding gear I extended my riding season with the H2O rain jacket. No wind can get though it! Also wear a balaclava under my full face helmet. I use winter riding gloves. Thinking about upgrading to heated gloves.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

gn2 wrote:OP lives in the UK.
Most (almost all) of the motorcycle/scooter clothing available in the US is not available in the UK.
They have a postal service of some sort in the UK yes? If not, that would be really sad.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Postal charges to get clothing from the USA to the UK would be more than the cost of clothing sourced locally.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Steph wrote:heated gloves.
Heated liners are the way to go so that you can use them under whatever gear you already have. I have a full set of Venture Heat liners. I will ride my 50 minute commute today even though it is 32F. It was dry last night so there will be no ice. The scooter is nice since I don't have to shift. I can wear warm boots and ski mittens which are much warmer than gloves. The glove liners almost start to burn my fingers if I use them with the mittens above 45F. These are nicer than heated grips because the heat is applied all the way to the finger tips.
http://www.ventureheat.com/11-power-sports
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:It's not leather, but I wear this:

Manufacturer is here:
http://www.motoport.com/

My total cost with the waterproof liners(which I don't use because they're too damn hot), armor upgrades, extra reflective stripes, and shipping came just under $2,000.

I don't know what your budget is like, but this one attracted my attention because some guy took a spill at 70 mph and walked away without a scratch. That might be relevant given that the PCX can get pretty close to those speeds.

If you don't plan on getting on a highway anytime soon, I'd just get a regular textile set with CE approved armor. You can always just layer more clothing underneath for winter riding(assuming ice isn't an issue where you live) instead of relying on your armor for that. Merino wool clothing will keep you nice and warm.

Any more gear and you might as well have a car
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Any more gear and you might as well have a car
A car like the ones you have?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Revzilla will ship internationally. You can check the cost by checking out from your shopping cart but just don't click the last button to finalize the order. Call their sales staff. They are all riders and have extensive first hand experience with everything they sell. They feature more of the mid to high end gear but if you plan to ride a lot it can be worth it.
https://www.revzilla.com/international-orders
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote: Any more gear and you might as well have a car
I could double-up on the gear and it would still be easier to park than a car.

/parallelparkingfail
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:

Not necessarily. Other cars are available

I'd avoid Michelin tyres if I gressed like that..
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

The heated glove liners are cool! I might go with that. ;)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Steph wrote:The heated glove liners are cool! I might go with that. ;)
The cords are tricky to run if you don't have the jacket liner which has plugs built in to the sleeves but it can be done with on the inside of your jacket with some safety pins.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:

Not necessarily. Other cars are available

I'd avoid Michelin tyres if I gressed like that..
Yeah, esp if you have a set of Four like mine ;)
Attire of any kind always up to the wearer. You either Love it or hate it. For me, No in-between like "it's okay." I gotta love it to wear it!
Whoa....Way Too much Home and Garden TV lately :roll: that sounded like,
"Are you going to Love it or List it?" :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yeah, esp if you have a set of Four like mine ;)
Attire of any kind always up to the wearer. You either Love it or hate it. For me, No in-between like "it's okay." I gotta love it to wear it!
Whoa....Way Too much Home and Garden TV lately :roll: that sounded like,
"Are you going to Love it or List it?" :lol:[/quote]

Where did gressed come from. Dressed. Sorry

You don't have to dress silly to stay alive on a motorised bicycle. Perhaps enjoy things instead?

Bibendum says look through the other end of the telescope....
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by PCXade »

I am stuck on a few I have seen now... all withing the £200 - £300 range.

The ones that I seem to go for are 600 Denier + textile with elbow, shoulder and back CE padding with decent zips, reflective areas and a removable liner so it lends itself to all weather riding.
Trouser wise, I am looking at hip and knee CE padding, but would also like shins. A nice feature is a long zip for easy removal/fitting.

I did look at leather jackets but one issue is the cost AND I would need someting else for bad winter riding on top it looks like. There is one leather setup that I like - just not sure of it.
Its the one mentioned in this thread I believe:
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/190498

Not sure on which trousers to get with it - IF i do..
Picked up my lovely new PCX 125 in Red on Monday 13th October 2014!
The love affair starts now....
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

PCXade wrote: removable liner
My weather proof shell is on the outside of the Tourmaster. I wonder how long it takes for the mesh on the outside type of jackets take to dry when it gets soaked.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I know I've mentioned under-armor wear on several threads within the forum(s), so excuse me for tossing the idea out again. If I were shopping ( :? if? haha that's funny, tis a hobbie jist about),
I'd like to know as many options as possible. Take a look at these whilst you're browsing round the www. See whatcha think.
Me, I have a few choices in my closet of gear. Bohn armor adventure wear, (top and bottom), Diamond Gusset Defender Kevlar jeans, Rev'it waterproof armor pants, 2 Rev'it Jackets both cordura, Cortech mesh jacket, Firstgear hi viz mesh jacket, Rev'it summer and winter wicking hi socks, Daytona Gortex boots, Shoei Qwest White FF helmet, and a Nolan n104 hi viz modular helmet, gloves are Rev'it leather wrist and gauntlet types, Tourmaster and others. Other stuff albeit too.
Take your time. This stuff gets costly I know, but it may save our butts and much more one day. (I'm saying that quietly ;)

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/pro ... shirt/2407
http://www.amazon.com/Bohn-Bodyguard-Ad ... B001T4WJ5A

There must be other under armor wear available as well. http://www.webbikeworld.com reviews a plethora of cycle gear. Take a peek there too. Enjoy :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Ah right, as it happens I did spot some under-armor on Ebay when I was browsing.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/98897 has that ForceField Pro.

Is this sort of stuff just not safe enough:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Body-Armour-M ... 68ec34c303

I assume the main benefit of decent under armour is that you can wear it uinderneath any jacket at all, plus it would move less in an accident.

I have no idea what to get.. I cant really afford more than £300 at present and that needs to be trousers and jacket - both with armour. or one of these underarmor thingys. I have bookmarked so many it is doing my head in.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Every one of these threads for jackets, helmets, whatever, that I have ever seen has twenty different recommendations with no consensus.
If you buy a convertible jacket, make sure it has the shell on the outside. Which very few of them do because it is much trickier to build that way. Otherwise you are basically just getting a mesh jacket with an included waterproof hiking jacket underneath. I recommend the Tourmaster or their sister company, Cortech.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour ... x-3-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-flex-pants
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

It is definitely a case of you get what you pay for but there does seem to be a jump from 'minimal acceptable safety precation' and the next step up in quality.

I went into Infinity Cycles in Camberley and the salesman recommended this combo:

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/prod ... acket/3781
http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/prod ... users/3782

Said that it was absolutely suitable as starting clothing on a scooter and that as i progress up through to more powerful bikes in a couple of years I can start saving up for top of the range textiles or leathers,
Then again, he did admint they bought a 1000 units of the stuff - hence the price.
However, it fit realy well and had CE Armour on the elbows, shoulder, forearms and back, though I would likely upgrade the back anyway.

£170 for the pair and this would leave me money to get boots (circa £70) and decent gloves (circa £40) all within my overall 'real' budget of £300.

Mind you, I am tempted by some #nearly new# top the range textile jackets on Ebay, etc.
So long as they are less than a year old and never crached/scuffed I assume they are fine?