Advice on Jacket/Trousers

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCXade
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Advice on Jacket/Trousers

Post by PCXade »

Hi

The last thing on my shopping list is a jacket and trousers.
I am currently using my waterproof golf trousers and a ski jacket :?

I never see scooter riders in full leather sports bike gear so I assume it is de rigeur to ride lesser clothing, so obviously less safe but more fashionable. However, I am conscious of overall safety so I assume it is best to get jackets and trousers with some protection.

My main condition is that the jacket should have a liner so it is comfy enough to wear in the summer as well as winter - pretty light and preferably with reflective additions.

Any advice on some good value stuff worth looking at?
I dont mind paying more for quality but would rather get away with paying as little as possible, of course.
Also, ideally, I would use this kit as extra skiing clothing ;)

Cheers
Picked up my lovely new PCX 125 in Red on Monday 13th October 2014!
The love affair starts now....
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Advice on Jacket/Trousers

Post by RideLondon »

I have a Bering Gizmo jacket. Very comfy, warm, has removable thermal lining with pockets for heat packs, shoulder and elbow protection. The thing I love about it is that it's a great looking jacket and you don't look out of place wearing it if you're not on the bike. It doesn't look like a "motorcycle jacket".

Also the RST blade jackets are very good, and they have a back protector.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Meshes are cool like wearing a screen door soooo nice in heat :) but if you have seasonal insects, mosquitoes, nats, Florida love bugs, them outlandish Highland Midges from Scotland you will be trying to flick them off before you go into your favorite pub. Sometimes I think I just want leather but Firstgear product is were I'm at right now.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Meshes are cool like wearing a screen door soooo nice in heat :) but if you have seasonal insects, mosquitoes, nats, Florida love bugs, them outlandish Highland Midges from Scotland you will be trying to flick them off before you go into your favorite pub. Sometimes I think I just want leather but Firstgear product is were I'm at right now.

Surrey is in a different country to Scotland.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

LOL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:Meshes are cool like wearing a screen door soooo nice in heat :) but if you have seasonal insects, mosquitoes, nats, Florida love bugs, them outlandish Highland Midges from Scotland you will be trying to flick them off before you go into your favorite pub. Sometimes I think I just want leather but Firstgear product is were I'm at right now.

Surrey is in a different country to Scotland.
Allah be praised.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Cheers, will investigate them, maybe pick up a cheapish one on Ebay.
So, protection for the elbow and shoulders is paramount, with some form of back proptection a sensible addition.

What about trousers? My golf/ski trousers do not offer any protection in the case of a slide so do I need to look for ones with knee and hips protection?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Check out Aerostitch. The khakis that I am wearing right now will take me to work and not look out of place during the day. They are well made, and seem a pretty good value. And once you have the knee pads, you can switch them between pants should you decide to get a second pair or go for their dungaree version for a more casual look.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-protekt-khakis.html

I also second the mesh jacket with removable liner. I fell into a bit of a deal on a Rev'it Tornado jacket that is very comfortable spring, summer, and fall.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

I ride ATGATT - all the gear, all the time.

My primary jacket is from GoGo Gear. I wear their hi-vis Cafe jacket and love the style as well the fact that you can see me for miles. Last year they came out with a Kevlar armored hoodie that looks just like a hooded sweatshirt. If I didn't want to look like I was wearing armor, that would probably be my first pick.

For pants, I usually wear armored Scorpion textile/mesh overpants with armor. Covers my slacks for work to keep me clean and warm, rainproof liner to keep me dry if it rains, as well as offering abrasion and impact protection. In summer, I can wear over shorts and show up to social events dressed for the season while still being protected. I also own kevlar jeans, which I sometimes wear over Bohn under armor, if I want to look more like the average scooterist.

My summer jacket is FirstGear Mesh Tex, great ventilation, can put rain liner in if it gets cool at night.

For warmth, you can always layer. I use a thin fleece jacket under my armored jacket when it's cooler. There are some great 3-layer jackets out there - might be more economical in the long run than my separate stuff for different weather. They usually have a warm liner and rain liner - can zip layers in and out depending on the weather.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

That's a great help, thanks.

What I have mainly learnt is that if I buy the right product then I can use it in the summer and winter, which will save me money.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Ah, hold on, what is this MESH stuff?
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Materials for abrasion resistance:

Leather - best

Textile - usually a ballistic abrasion-resistant nylon fabric. Can melt to your skin if you catch fire, but otherwise a good alternative to leather

Mesh - textile fabric with a loose weave permitting air flow and ventilation while still offering abrasion resistance. Breathes better in hot weather

Kevlar - the stuff they make bulletproof vests out of. Also provides abrasion resistance. The classic Draggin' Jeans video shows a man wearing the Kevlar-lined jeans while being pulled behind various vehicles while sitting on his arse as a testimony of their abrasion resistance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKzAORD35I
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

PCXade wrote:Ah, hold on, what is this MESH stuff?
Something you will not be needing given where you live.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I like the Tourmaster Flex. It is one of the few convertible jackets that has the shell on the outside so it is much warmer and drier in the cold rain. It is very handy being convertible. Many mornings I ride to work with the outer shell on and home in the afternoon with just the mesh which still has the full armor.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour ... x-3-jacket
They also make convertible pants but I just wear mountaineering over pants when it is cold or rainy.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

It's not leather, but I wear this:

Manufacturer is here:
http://www.motoport.com/

My total cost with the waterproof liners(which I don't use because they're too damn hot), armor upgrades, extra reflective stripes, and shipping came just under $2,000.

I don't know what your budget is like, but this one attracted my attention because some guy took a spill at 70 mph and walked away without a scratch. That might be relevant given that the PCX can get pretty close to those speeds.

If you don't plan on getting on a highway anytime soon, I'd just get a regular textile set with CE approved armor. You can always just layer more clothing underneath for winter riding(assuming ice isn't an issue where you live) instead of relying on your armor for that. Merino wool clothing will keep you nice and warm.
blackcat54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by blackcat54 »

Looks like they updated the styling for an improved look.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=15
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

$540? The most expensive Rev'it or Olympia jackets are less.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a Tour Master Sonata 3 season jacket. It has a mesh outer armored part. Then it has what I would consider a rain coat. Under that it has a quilted long sleeve collarless jacket. Each of these can be snapped into place inside the outer mesh armored jacket . Mine is hi-viz yellow. I haven't gotten any special riding pants yet though. I have knee supports for both knees that I use while riding, and I wear boots. Granted, I just wear jeans, but I have survived several accidents in jeans and boots (along with knee supports/guards) and haven't been any worst for wear...though the jeans were no longer wearable.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:$540? The most expensive Rev'it or Olympia jackets are less.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revi ... gtx-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olym ... est-jacket

Oh I doubt it.

They're pricey for sure, but you won't have melted poly on your skin.

But again, it depends on specific needs. I personally found their mesh kevlar to be a great compromise of being cool in 90 degree temperatures without the risk of polyester being melted into my skin if I take a tumble on the freeway.