Skully AR-1 smart helmet

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Skully AR-1 smart helmet

Post by Sh3p »

Hey guys, Skully AR-1 is available for preorder, its a $1500 helmet with HUD, 180deg rear camera, GPS, bluetooth, E-tint visor, speakers, etc.
Preorder was $1399 and has dropped to $499 down and the rest upon shipping. 15days remaining on their indiegogo, then i think its unavailable for purchase until Fall 2015.

In case anyone is interested in preordering, you can get $100 paid back by getting referred. Its $499 down, if anyone is interested let me know and i'll connect you.
http://igg.me/at/skully/x/8408348
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Skully AR-1 smart helmet

Post by gn2 »

Why can't people understand that the word "preorder" is entirely meaningless?
Smart helmet my arse, its fucking lethal.
Cognitive distraction
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Why can't people understand that the word "preorder" is entirely meaningless?
Smart helmet my arse, its fucking lethal.
Cognitive distraction

They're Americans. It'll be smart. Leave them alone.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

What's wrong with good old fashioned mirrors?:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/reev ... et-graphic
coetzee.kruger
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by coetzee.kruger »

There has been a lot of controversy around this helmet. The second comment here has a good point. It is a cognitive distraction, but then again, would that not depend on the individual using it?

It would be pretty cool to have all the tools it offers at hand, and this helmet will surely sell BIGTIME!! Heck, if it was a tad bit more affordable I would get one, as I have driven with an almost-similar set of systems before...

Built in GPS...sweet!!
Full 180deg view of the rear...AWESOME!!
Built in bluetooth...WELL DONE!!

Hmmmm... the other thing. Will ALL these systems in the helmet function simultaniously as a standard, or will the individual systems be available "on demand"?

I'm a pilot. I know a bit of what cognitive distraction is like.... Like I said it is down to the individual person using it, being capable of processing all the info efficiently. If you cannot "use" all the information at the same time, then simply dont get the helmet...

Ag what am i on about....one would'nt really know until one has used the helmet... Hopefully distributers will have a "demo" available for testing...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

$1400! If it proves useful and an aid rather than a distraction, then give it a year or so and the price will probably be a few hundred $ more than normal mid-price helmets. Like all things, tech comes down in price and gets better.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

um... more distracting than a cellphone, less distracting than an attack helicopter pilots helmet. Guess it depends on your level of multi-tasking. They should ban them in Colorado for sure but other than that... if its legal and its an electronic gadget we like it!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

The average "high-end" helmet is already WAY expensive for what it is(a $600 piece of gear that you have to toss if you ever use it). I frankly don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving a $1400 helmet under the seat, and it would completely suck if the helmet bumped the ground at low speeds, which wouldn't be enough to crack the plastic, but still enough to mean that riding with it would compromise your safety.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Could be fun at a frat party! Put it on and see how well you can run backwards without hitting anything! :lol: