ATGATT or Squidding: What do YOU ride with?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: ATGATT or Squidding: What do YOU ride with?

Post by homie »

SECoda how are we to wear that into a public establishment without a swat team sniper shooting us in the head. And you can't leave the 500.00 bomb vest on to bike :)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

SECoda wrote:I see they have a motorcycle neck airbag now. Anyone sporting one yet? o_O

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/26 ... AjeR8P8HAQ
I can see that being a good way to get a fat chick off the pillion :D .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
SECoda wrote:I see they have a motorcycle neck airbag now. Anyone sporting one yet? o_O

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/26 ... AjeR8P8HAQ
I can see that being a good way to get a fat chick off the pillion :D .

Your one your own with that one...... :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

new word :)

Pillion; a mostly British term for a secondary pad, cushion, or seat behind the main seat or saddle on a horse, motorcycle, bicycle or moped.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Won't catch me riding Pillion!
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Oh late to this thread...I thought squids were more about HOW you rode as opposed to the gear you wore or is it a bit of both?

Anyway, I never ride without a pair of gloves thats for sure, however, when it was exceptionally hot once (it does happen now and again in Scotland!) I have to confess to wearing shorts, trainers and a t-shirt and I was still too warm.
perforated mesh suits must be great if you can afford them tho
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Full Face Helmet

RST Jacket ( Textile with shoulder/arm pads inside)
RST Jeans (Kevlar lined Knee Pads removed as REEALLY annoying)
Solid Boots
RST Gloves ( really need some warmer ones)

All the time even in summer.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Scottish wrote:Oh late to this thread...I thought squids were more about HOW you rode as opposed to the gear you wore or is it a bit of both?

Anyway, I never ride without a pair of gloves thats for sure, however, when it was exceptionally hot once (it does happen now and again in Scotland!) I have to confess to wearing shorts, trainers and a t-shirt and I was still too warm.
perforated mesh suits must be great if you can afford them tho

Don't worry it's just a thread for the self righteous..
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

With all due respect, the only self righteous person I see here is you insulting the ATGATTers.

I occasionally squid when I go on short city rides and I will continue to do so. People may be concerned and I appreciate that. That's it. I really don't see what the problem is.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dkazzed wrote:With all due respect, the only self righteous person I see here is you insulting the ATGATTers.

I occasionally squid when I go on short city rides and I will continue to do so. People may be concerned and I appreciate that. That's it. I really don't see what the problem is.
sic
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

I can't stand the insecurity of squidding. I prefer to dress for the slide not the ride. Each to their own though.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I will cruise around the neighborhood with a t-shirt and the 3/4 helmet at 15-20 mph when it is 90 degrees but other traffic is virtually non-existent.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

There are times I go balls out though. o_O Cant make the poor little scoot go any faster.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Yea - that's when I armor up. Anything else is crazy.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Duggle wrote:You can ignore it, he's just trolling... like his 3255 other posts. ;)
+1k
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

Yes, squidding is also how you ride and just what you ride with. Although the pcx is no crotch rocket, falling off sucks at any speed. Skill level and experience aside there are situations that are borderline unavoidable. Like being cut off, lane changed into, SMIDSY situation as its called in the UK.
I've been track racing lately and good gear goes a very long way, my suit has at least 6 solid lowsides on it and still does a great job of letting me focus on everything but being worried about "what if I crash???"
Let me clarify that crashing is kind of part of racing, and for general riding you should never be pushing yourself to the limits, especially on public roads.

Ultimately it's your skin and bones. Skin grafts are excruciating and extremely expensive. Broken bones will suspend if not end your riding career. Ask any experienced rider who has fallen before; the biggest hurdle is getting over the fear and learning to ride better. $300 is a lot to spend on a jacket or other gear, but is a drop in the bucket compared to the medical bills you could be paying if you survive. It's cheap insurance in the long run, and piece of mind is priceless.
I just smile and nod when I'm told otherwise, you cannot teach experience and some only learn the hard way. I was a the hard headed learner too, admittedly.

"There is no greater wealth than wisdom. There is no greater poverty than ignorance."
-Ali
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Is riding a scooter at 25 mph inherently more dangerous than riding a bicycle at 25, 30, 35 mph?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I think you can get some great bargains in quality armored (that meet the std) motorcycle jackets if you go with the less popular brands kind of like helmets that still provide the same level of protection. Something like Fulmer helmets and jackets for example. You can get a very good helmet for well under $100 and the same in a jacket for $100-150. There is absolutely no need to spend $500+ on a helmet or $300+ on a jacket. In fact I used Fulmer as an example because of one review I read where the guy actually prefers his Fulmer helmet over his Shuberth after many miles of use on both.

SECoda/tbln930
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

dkazzed wrote:Is riding a scooter at 25 mph inherently more dangerous than riding a bicycle at 25, 30, 35 mph?
You know, I tried to pull that line of thought off to my family and friends a few years back...it didn't fly. They knew, and I knew, that I couldn't peddle my bike(s) that fast continuously unless I was going downhill, and then I didn't need to. I just smiled and sailed. So my point is,...it's a poor comparison. Think about this: How much does your (lightweight?) bicycle weigh? If you were to land down with it on top of you, would it be the same as having a motorcycle on top of you? NO.
My advice is to have an open mind and listen to folks here (and on other forums) that have experience in the "fall."
Remember Father Knows Best? ...so Do They.
I have been pinned beneath a 400+ motorcycle. Wrong boots on. The pain? Ouch! Broken stuff too.
My opinion is and always shall be...ATGATT.

By no means do I want to rob you of finding out your own way...but ask yourself this: Why?

I say all this out of concern. I know it's a touchy subject and normally my lips are sealed. But I Care.
Peace. Do Your Best to Ride Safe, please.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You