Winter gloves

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Winter gloves

Post by EddieC »

Cool dave! Sounds good. I still havent ordered mine. So far the coldest its been on my ride home was 43 F and the hands got cold, but not unbearable. I have a 30 min ride, and if it were much longer, the grips would be a necessity.

The first place I had heated grips was in prescott AZ, and it would get into the single digits at night and sometimes even negative... so far southern california has been treating me pretty well. I also think they can wait until after christmas... My girlfriends parents always give me an amazon gift card because they know I'm addicted to on line shopping. =]

No how to necessary for me, but I cant speak for everyone.... be sure to hook them up with a relay!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Any particular reason why I'd need to hook them up with a relay? I was just going to piggyback them on the 10a cord I have for the cigarette outlet.

GN2 - Apparently I've become somewhat of a pansy. I didn't need them last year, but for some reason my hands have been getting cold this year.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

the strain the heating elements put on a small electrical system could be too much for it to handle.. so wiring with a relay will ensure they have all the power they need. I know this because when I first installed mine i tried piggybacking on the running lights, and the grips BARELY got warm.... after the re-wire with a relay (something a member of svrider.com suggested) they heated wonderfully...

You may get different results... and you probably know more about electrical than I do, but all I know is that it was necessary for proper installation on my SV650
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

A how to would be awesome maddie!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Cool, I'll do a how-to. I'm piggybacking these directly onto the battery, so they should be in paralell with the rest of the bike -- meaning they can have as many amps as the cranking power of the battery if they decide to draw that much (which I really hope they never do, because that much heat would melt the grips and drain the battery in minutes :lol: )
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

That sounds easier too! =]
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:Cool, I'll do a how-to. I'm piggybacking these directly onto the battery, so they should be in paralell with the rest of the bike
You may want to put a warning on the how-to that if doing it this way non-US owners should switch off their stop-start...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

also, the reason why I tapped into the running lights was so I could never forget to turn them off and drain my battery... with no kick starter this would be a pain. Wiring directly to the battery gives you the opportunity to walk away with them still on.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

^ I think that's why GN2 suggested a warning to disable idle stop. I can see why that would be a good idea, but I'm still going to wire it directly to keep it simple.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Sounds good! You should do what YOU want with YOUR bike! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

my best purchase clothing wise this year was a pair of under armour gloves, thin yet warm, only £15.00 and they fit under my cheap waterproof winter gloves.
and as for Gn2 and your lobster claws, i assume these are the gloves that make your hands look like teenage mutant turtle hands? if so they are great and will be getting a pair when i get paid
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

they were the exact ones i tried on. got a Hein Gericke showroom nearby and popped in to search for some new trousers. they were toasty and surprisingly comfy, thought i wouldn;t like my fingers being stuck together
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You get used to it very quickly, matter of minutes.
If you think about it there is no need for you to use individual fingers while riding.
I used to wear overmitts over leather gloves in the winter and the lobsterclaws are like silk gloves by comparison.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

I've just been for my first ride with some Bar Muffs (BAR MUFFS R360 NEOPRENE - NO BAR END WEIGHT - http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/tuca ... eight.html) They certainly work well at cutting out wind, haven't tried them in the wet yet.

I've got heated grips so i can put them on and use my summer gloves and keep nice and warm. Once the grips have heated your hands up enough you can with them off and your hands stay warm.

Downsides:
1. You lose some more of the throttle grip on top of what has been taken by the heated grip (Oxford Hot Grips). It's not a major issue and you get used to it quickly.
2. The muffs don't cover the thumb controls. They have thumbs through which you have to try to find the controls. Not much fun trying to indicate/cancel. I hope it's just a question of getting used to it :(
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

im off to the MCN bike show next weekend and hope to get some new gloves there after i damaged mine when i game off my PCX, im after ones though at an affordable price that have a build in strip to wipe a visor with when it rains, i have those rubber wiper things on my current damaged glove but it doesnt to the job well
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Was gonna go to the Mcn show till I saw the entrance prices. They taking the piss
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

lol, i havent seen the prices yet.. hoping my friend who has a racing bike team can get me a ticket (martin jones)
newpl

Post by newpl »

Don't usually like to endorse cheap china made stuff but.....I bought these gloves on ebay for $8.

http://www.everbuying.com/Professional- ... 21426.html

Since I wired in a 12v socket, I just got a usb adapter and surprisingly they work pretty well. I use my summer gloves over them and they hold the heat in. Plus since they are fingerless, don't lose any tactile feel for controls. Fingers still get cold but it's easy to pull your fingers back while waiting at a light.

My only question is how long they are going to last. I figured for $8, doesn't really hurt if they didn't work.