D-I-Y Snap Fasteners

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

D-I-Y Snap Fasteners

Post by gn2 »

The velcro on the cuff fastenings and storm flap of my jacket was getting a little tired and were not staying closed properly.

The new version of my jacket has snap fasteners on the storm flap, so that got me to wondering if I could add them to mine.
A quick Google revealed yes, various kits to insert snap fasteners were readily available on a number of popular websites.
As the cost was only around a fiver I thought there's nothing to lose giving it a go.

This is the black version of the kit I got, its made by Hemline, tools are included, there are full instructions on the pack and its a doddle to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15mm-Heavy-Du ... 1225180073

It was a complete success and the old jacket remains serviceable for a while yet.
Different colours are available, black, chrome, antique brass etc.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: D-I-Y Snap Fasteners

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The velcro on the cuff fastenings and storm flap of my jacket was getting a little tired and were not staying closed properly.

The new version of my jacket has snap fasteners on the storm flap, so that got me to wondering if I could add them to mine.
A quick Google revealed yes, various kits to insert snap fasteners were readily available on a number of popular websites.
As the cost was only around a fiver I thought there's nothing to lose giving it a go.

This is the black version of the kit I got, its made by Hemline, tools are included, there are full instructions on the pack and its a doddle to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15mm-Heavy-Du ... 1225180073

It was a complete success and the old jacket remains serviceable for a while yet.
Different colours are available, black, chrome, antique brass etc.
Just done something similar on an old jacket. The zip fastener fell off. Not just the tag, but the complete pull-up down thing. You can get clip on replacements
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I just use 60lb breaking strain fishing line to replace zip pulls, not as neat and tidy, but it works.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Nice!

Velcro is great stuff.... for a while. You can comb out the fuzz a few times, but eventually the "little hooks" part of the program give up.

glad you could revive your jacket for short money - always a good feeling to make a good fix.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I just use 60lb breaking strain fishing line to replace zip pulls, not as neat and tidy, but it works.

It was the complete fastener mech that fell off

You can replace the pulls with a paper clip too