How many riders do not carry tire repair kits?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

How many riders do not carry tire repair kits?

Post by fish »

Just curious.
How many do NOT carry a tire repair and inflator kit?

Revzilla's youtubes:
Is It Okay To Plug a Tubeless Motorcycle Tire?

HOW TO REPAIR A TUBELESS TIRE

I have had a flat tire 3 times, on 3 different scooters, while out on the road - my roadside repair and inflator kits got me home twice.
The Forza suffered a large cut, requiring a tow and a new tire.
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: How many riders do not carry tire repair kits?

Post by gn2 »

Me.
Never carry any tools at all.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Me either no tools at all.
Back in the days of tube tires had a piece of wire stuck in the tire that would keep poking a hole in the tube.
Took me a few tries to figure that one out.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Me neither.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

On long hauls I do carry a tire repair kit (Stop & Go Tire Plugger Kit with CO2 cartridges to reinflate). When I speak of long haul I mean out of my state or to a far reaching corner.

But generally for around town or local I travel light . . . no tire repair kit onboard.

The KLR has tubes in the tires. So I have a can of puncture sealant that injects through the tire tube valve. It's like "Slime". But again, I only carry it if I'm going long haul. In an emergency, for a slow leak that crops up, I find that pumping air into it at a gas station will help on the short term until a proper repair can be done at home. I also have a small portable hand pump.

I also have tool kits on the motorcycles. I carry a few extra simple tools on the scooters.

Bringing extra gear means having to have a place to put it. So for the long trips the tank bags or side packs come in real handy on the bikes.

All that said "Slime" advertises that they are both a flat preventative or repair resource for up to 2 years and multiple punctures (for off road use). For highway use they recommend to use as a repair measure only. But if you are riding a scooter or motorcycle on the road with "Slime" already in the tires and it gets you home in the event of a puncture then what's not to like?

Most of my problems with tire punctures have been from roofing nails and they were slow leaks.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

i have plugs and a bicycle type air pump under the seat dont know how well it would plug the hole but if it gets me home so i can replace the tire its better than pushing the scoot
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I carry an air pump and tire plug kit on my scoot all the time. It's more for convenience, specially after one time that I had to ride my scoot with a close to flat tire to a gas station from out of town, in order to use the air pump. I had the plug kit but no 12v air pump.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Coasting »

I've had 5 flats - some my fault, some not.

These days I try to hedge my bets by not running a rear past about 6000 miles / 10,000 km - and I carry both a can of instant tyre inflator and a pathetically low quality 12v compressor in my 47 litre Givi top box.

One "gotcha" I learned the hard way was to put something between the can and the metal inflator - one pierced the other once when I hit a really bad pothole at night.

My other "gotcha" is to watch tyre pressures - below a certain point the seal gives way between the tyre and the rim and they go "real flat" "real fast" which feels "real bad" when riding.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have found that you can tell when the pressure is low before you go out by just sitting on the bike and rolling it around. It feels sluggish if the tire pressure is low.

If I am riding locally I don't carry anything for the tires, though I do check them before each ride. If I am riding away from the local area I carry a can of the Tire Slime or Fix-A-Flat. I use to carry a cheap 12 volt compressor to air up my tires with, but I found that they run down batteries really quickly, even with the bike idling.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SBMAUI
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by SBMAUI »

A Plug kit, C02 cartridges, and in the past year started carrying a fully charged Air Hawk hand held air compressor. Where I ride there's often no cell service and very little traffic. The Air Hawk is also good for checking and inflating tires prior to heading out for a ride.