replacement keys?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX_LosAngelesRider

replacement keys?

Post by PCX_LosAngelesRider »

Got my PCX last month, and it's awesome!

Kinda paranoid about losing my keys though, since you simply can't just get them dupe'd at a key-copy shop (with the special hexagon unlocker that's on the base of the key). Just wondering if anyone knows how to order spare keys?

Thanks
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Re: replacement keys?

Post by EddieC »

Hey man! Los angeles huh? me too!

Did you get your PCX new? If so, there was a little silver tag that came on the original key ring from honda. That tag has a 4 or 5 digit number on it. You would give this number to your honda dealer so they could order you a replacement. I haven't had any luck finding a replacement blank, so I believe this is your only option. If you dont have that number, honda may be able to look it up by vin, but I cant say for sure if honda still keeps records of the keys since introducing the key tags.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you don't have that key ID tag, if you ever need it the number may be printed on the barrel of the lock ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Didnt you get 2 keys with the bike?
ImageImage ImageImage Image
PCX_LosAngelesRider

hi everyone, thanks for responses! :)

Yeah I got mine brand new. Only put 300 miles on it and had for exactly 1 month. LOVE THIS BIKE!

Where did you get yours? I got mine at Honda Santa Monica (on Lincoln bvld in Venice).

Yes, I was issued 2 keys when I first got the bike. But like a moron, I already lost the spare key and the key #. I lost it on the day I got the bike (probably left it somewhere at the dealership) but I only realized that I the other key was missing until a few days ago.

I'll check around my apartment again, but pretty sure that thing is long gone.

Also just looked around the ignition, but didn't see any numbers. I take it that it's INSIDE the bike? So I might have to remove some part of the chasis?

For now, I'll just get the key dupe'd, but will refrain from using that ignition cover until I get official honda replacements.

Thanks! ;)
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

yep. Honda of santa monica on lincoln too! I'd be interested to compare prices =]

Also, if you don't feel like paying the dealership for maintenance, I have everything you need to do it yourself. Let me know when you wanna do the 600 mile break in service. Doing it yourself will cost $5 for a quart of oil. Let me know what you wanna do.

Gn2... I cant see if this is famous sarcasm, but IS the number actually printed on the barrel? Would like to know :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I have been told that it is, but haven't checked myself.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX_LosAngelesRider

hey Eddie, I don't have the paper-work on me right now, but I'd be really curious to see what they charged you. I sort of feel that they added extra fees just to get more from me. I'm write back soon in a few hours with some extra fees they slapped on and ask if they did the same to you.

Also, when I bought the scooter, the maintenance guy told me to bring it at 600 miles for the first service. They quoted that it would cost $315 (!!) wtf? Is that correct? For an oil change and kick the tires? Did you get a first-service quote from them?

I plan to do all the servicing on my own. My brother has a nice big garage with tons of tools, and will do all that and show my nephew how to be a man (fixing up a scooter LOL!) :) Thanks a lot for your offer though!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The dealer I bought my bike from on the East Coast (in Atlanta, GA) raped me with fees, I came out a couple of bucks under $4k.

My first service cost $260, so $315 sounds to be in the right ballpark. Eddie's got a service manual I'm sure he'll lend you since you're close -- that way you can be sure you don't accidentally miss something. You can do all your own maintenance and Honda will still hold the warranty, but you have to prove you've done it and that you know what you're doing (or so has been said elsewhere, I haven't confirmed this). Either way, my scooter is in having the engine block replaced under warranty, and I did the 2nd service myself. They had no issue with that.

Back on topic though, your dealer should be able to look up your key code. Go back in to the dealer, have them look it up, and order another key. Unfortunately, the PCX keys are different than any other Honda key on the market, so they have to be special-ordered.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

thanks GN2.. if I ever have a reason to take the ignition out I'll confirm, but no clue if/when that will happen

And yes, buying a car or any vehicle in CA is VERY expensive... I got a lot of fees, taxes, and CA are bitches with new vehicle fees when registering. All in all, I paid around $5 grand after taxes, registration, and dealership bull shit fees. Thing is, in order to avoid a lot of those, we would have to go a FAR way from Los Angeles. Its the same story at every dealer. I met another PCXer in LA, and I think his total was around $5200

PS (because I know this is coming) I always tell people this, and their first reaction is to say "why not drive out of state and get one WAAY cheaper?" Well, CA, once again, will not let anyone register a vehicle obtained from out of state with less than 7,500 miles, unless its moving with you and your belongings. Because of this silly law, CA dealers can charge what they want. Smaller towns you might have more luck... but not here =]
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

also, to answer your question about maintenance, I never even got a quote from a dealer for services, as I was planning on doing everything myself from the beginning. That other PCXer paid $280 at hollywood honda i think.

And you shouldnt have told me about your brothers garage, because I'm totally going to try to invite myself! Where is it? :lol: This is my very first time owning a CVT, and would like some guidance the first time I dive in to service the clutch and variator. I'm sure I can do it, but its nice for peace of mind to have someone who knows exactly what they're doing there with you the fist time doing something.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There's nothing to service in the clutch or variator, all you need to do is leave it alone.
Once it wears down to the limit you just replace the variator sliders and drive belt.
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

you are more than welcome to do the service work yourself, it's not hard, but pray you have no problems coz without a registered dealer/mechanic you can kiss your warranty goodbye
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Esdain wrote:you are more than welcome to do the service work yourself, it's not hard, but pray you have no problems coz without a registered dealer/mechanic you can kiss your warranty goodbye
Maybe in the UK... They're replacing the entire engine block on my PCX because of the centerstand breaking off, and I did the 2nd service myself.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
PCX_LosAngelesRider

I paid just under $5K as well.

After I balked at the $315 quote for the first service, the salesman said I didn't need to do the first service at all with them. He said it wouldn't void the warranty. Guess he lied (?)

I'm getting my tax-return next week, and was hoping to drop a few hundred buying myself a sweet set of tools for scooter maintence, but maybe I'll just get the bike serviced for $300 :x I don't want to make any mistakes or void the warranty :?
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

I think the US warranty is only for 1 year, and it is very unlikely that anything would breakdown during the first year. Or if it did, that doing your own maintenance would be an issue. If there was a serious 5 year warranty I'd be more concerned.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

replacement keys?

Post by Woolley »

Saying that though maddiedogs centre stand broke and hes having that fixed under warranty. I wouldn't wanna void mine. There much stricter on things like that in the uk.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

ye, this is just my experiences with Honda Uk (which is every day) they are very fair and do allow a lot under Warranty, i push my luck with claims as often as i can to get more money out of them, but thats only if there is a complete service record by a honda dealer. with power equipment, one skipped service in a 7 year warranty and it's bye bye claim
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

There are laws that are specific to the USA that heavily protects the consumer on waranty claims. This is generally why warranties are shorter in the US for the same products offered internationally. True, if you were in the UK they can void your warranty and insurance claims for the most bizarre reasons.

However, Don't worry about doing your own service yourself in the USA. This WILL NOT void your waranty. The only way that honda can get out of a waranty claim in the USA is if they can PROOVE that is was your direct action that caused a service item failure. I've known many people who do their own maintenance with their brand new bikes from day one and rarely ever hear of hickups with honda trying to get out of it. Usually, honda asks a whole bunch of questions and takes a lot of pictures, and have never asked my dad, or any of his or my friends to proove that the service was done correctly by a certified mechanic. If YOU were the one to mess it up, they would probably be able to tell.

If you need re-assurance that doing your own maintenance (in the USA) will not void your warranty, look up United States consumer law. Also, CA has EVEN MORE laws to protect the consumer that surpass federal standards.

So ya, if you feel like paying the dealer, by all means do! We are lucky to have some of the nations best technitions in our area with over 300 sunny days a year and high riding population. But if your in the USA, you're not going to void your warranty by doing your own servicing, so don't let that be a deterrant if you would like to learn how to do it yourself. The first few services are EASY and CHEAP do do oneself. Removing the plastics is the hardest part. I've done it 4 times so far so if. you want me to drop by I can show you how to easily remove the plastics and how to do your first four services.
PCX_LosAngelesRider

hey Eddie, thanks for the awesome response about warranty laws! Very helpful indeed :)

I started a "new" thread in the General section about the cost of 1st time service, so all this info can be found by someone in the future who has a similar question.