Sound for helmets

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

QuiGonJohn
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Sound for helmets

Post by QuiGonJohn »

I tried google searches, no luck. Is there any sound device I could buy that could be mounted in the helmet and accomplish two things.

1. Bluetooth to my iPhone for music (and maybe calls).

2. Provide talk/hear with my wife (in her helmet).

With all the electronic gadgets these days, it seems something like this might well be on the market.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Sound for helmets

Post by Jge64 »

This is exactly what you want. I have two of them.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sen ... ?rrec=true
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

We have these:
Snap 2020-04-01 at 09.02.30 (Small).jpg
Snap 2020-04-01 at 09.02.30 (Small).jpg (40.72 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Thanks, will look into these. Do they have just intercom, in case I want to go that route?
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Limey »

Ours have bluetooth intercom and also connects via blue-tooth to the phone so you can play music or hear GPS directions etc. If listening to music you just tap the big button to switch to intercom. We also have bicycle helmets with built in Sema systems. Not cheap but worth the effort!

A bit of a fiddle to get them all connected the first time, but once done it remembers it all and automatically connects when turned on.

Sound is not high quality - wouldn't expect so for speakers thin enough to go in helmet lining, but it works for us.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

or you could you use these if you don't want to spend huge amounts of money
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... CAc&uact=5
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:or you could you use these if you don't want to spend huge amounts of money
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... CAc&uact=5
That would do music & phone, probably GPS directions. But not provide intercom. I will probably splurge for 2 of the Sena units.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I was on a limited budget and got one of these. It works great, although the user interface could be better. I listen to podcast when riding. I use musician ear plugs to lower the road noise and these are plenty loud to overcome the plugs. It has plenty of other features that I haven't used, so I can't vouch for them. I have only used them to listen to podcast and take calls from my phone.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286016 ... 4c4dnf7n29
Attachments
HTB1pxv0B7OWBuNjSsppq6xPgpXa9.jpg
HTB1pxv0B7OWBuNjSsppq6xPgpXa9.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

So I looked at some reviews for the Mornystar. A lot of bad english. I also came across Vimoto. So I was hoping that maybe someone here has experience with all 3, Sena, Mornystar and Vimoto. I thought the Sena seemed good, but the MUCH lower price of the Mornystar and Vimoto is very attractive. But if they are junk, I'd rather spend for the Sena. But it is not 100% true that spending more actually gets you something significantly better.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

So I just realized the link Limey put was for a Dual Pack of the Sena 5's, at about the same price as the Sena 10 costs for 1 unit, so I think I am gonna go with that. Also, looking at the reviews and Q&A it seems me & my wife can each pair to our own phones, yet still talk to each other. All features I want.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Still want to know, after reading a lot of reviews, is the SENA a lot better quality. If so, then I would get that. Even the Sena, on Amazon, people had poor customer service. Who are they made by, where are they located.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Limey »

Didn't need customer service on mine - never had any troubles with the Sena 5s. Now we were not happy with the screw clamp fixing for the mounting brackets as our helmets were a little thick for them to be snug. So we recently decided to fix the support brackets to the helmet with double sided adhesive pads - much better.

Always remember that whichever system you get the sound is not going to be great. The speakers are small and thin, in order to fit inside the helmet lining pouches. Also make sure that the microphone is well stuck down. We find ours perfectly good for riding together.

We both connect to our iPhones to listen to music and at the same time have the intercom connected. One user just needs to tap the big button to switch from music to intercom on both sets. Tap again and music resumes.

We just bought Sena bicycle helmets that have the system completely built in. They are really good!

There are some Sena models that are newer and more expensive. As for better if you pay more I cannot comment!

If you PM me with an e-mail address I will happily send you a pdf copy of the user manual.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Thanks. I ordered the dual pack of the 5's. Will send PM and may hit you up from time to time with questions, if that is OK.

OK, I cannot see how to PM. As new user, am I not allowed to? Yep new user, can't use PM. But I put my email address in my profile under INTERESTS (I could not see a way to make it show in the EMAIL ADDRESS field either).
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Limey »

QuiGonJohn wrote: But I put my email address in my profile under INTERESTS (I could not see a way to make it show in the EMAIL ADDRESS field either).
Just sent it to you. :D
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

The Sena is going to be much better quality than any of the Aliexpress ones. The Mornystar is only for those on a low budget. I'm sure that the user experience is going to be much better on the Sena than on the Mornystar. Chinese designed and made products always suffer from poor user interface.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Limey »

Limey wrote:
QuiGonJohn wrote: But I put my email address in my profile under INTERESTS (I could not see a way to make it show in the EMAIL ADDRESS field either).
Just sent it to you. :D
Did you get it??
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Oh, yes, sorry I did not reply the first time. Thanks. Should get the pair Saturday.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

can anyone recommend a pair of bluetooth ear phones/ ear pieces ? I just need them for GPs but dont wish to fit an intercom / helmet mounted kit as I change helmets from full to open face dependent on weather conditions - I have looked at a few but the battery life is poor -

thanks
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Our Sena 5's arrived.

Limey, I know you recommend the adhesive over the clamp. For the mic, do you recommend the boom one or the smaller (wired) one. I would think the wired, sticking the mic end close to where my mouth is. We were full helmets or maybe they are considered 3/4, since the hard shell does not go all the way across the front, only the wind visor. If we do that, I guess we'd glue them to the corner, as close to where our mouth would be. Like to hear your thoughts on that.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Our helmets ar GMAX OF-77