ATGATT or Squidding: What do YOU ride with?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

ATGATT or Squidding: What do YOU ride with?

Post by Sh3p »

All The Gear All The Time. or ATGATT.
Dressing appropriately for the slide, not for the ride. One lesson I learned the hard way like most do.

Squidding, riding Squid.
Riding in comfortable street clothing like a t-shirt and shorts. Completely underprepared in the event of an off.
Of the many urban myths why its called squid, most notable is the short life span of a squid, and what the an under-geared rider looks like in the event of a crash, a bloody torn mess writing on the pavement. Gruesome, but unfortunately true.

The bare minimum outlined by MSF is a leather or textile abrasion resistant jacket, leather gloves, and boots. Which IMHO is still not enough.

What do YOU wear when riding? What is your opinion and experience with riding gear?

EXAMPLE

Sh3p
Helmet: Shoei RF-1100 / Shoei Qwest
Hands: Alpinestars GP pro / Alpinestars SP-2
Top: Alpinestars Tech 1-R / Alpinestars Jaws / Alpinestars AS-1 suit
Bottom: Drayko drift jeans / Dainese 1K jeans / RS taichi hard kneepads
Feet: Sidi ST air / Alpinestars SMX+ / Sidi streetburner

Experience:
I've owned lots of gear and have kinda settled into what was most comfortable, lesson learned and I no longer own any textile gear as they did not hold up in a crash for me. I do not get on the street with a moto unless im in at least an armored leather jacket, gauntlets, kneepads, and full armor boots. I have crashed a few times at speed and am still paying hospital bills lol. I am a firm advocate of ATGATT and have first hand seen good gear save lives. In our motorcycle community, no one is ridiculed for being over geared.
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: ATGATT or Squidding: What do YOU ride with?

Post by you you »

Sh3p wrote:All The Gear All The Time. or ATGATT.
Dressing appropriately for the slide, not for the ride. One lesson I learned the hard way like most do.

Squidding, riding Squid.
Riding in comfortable street clothing like a t-shirt and shorts. Completely underprepared in the event of an off.
Of the many urban myths why its called squid, most notable is the short life span of a squid, and what the an under-geared rider looks like in the event of a crash, a bloody torn mess writing on the pavement. Gruesome, but unfortunately true.

The bare minimum outlined by MSF is a leather or textile abrasion resistant jacket, leather gloves, and boots. Which IMHO is still not enough.

What do YOU wear when riding? What is your opinion and experience with

EXAMPLE

Sh3p

Experience:
I've owned lots of gear and have kinda settled into what was most comfortable, lesson learned and I no longer own any textile gear as they did not hold up in a crash for me. I do not get on the street with a moto unless im in at least an armored leather jacket, gauntlets, kneepads, and full armor boots. I have crashed a few times at speed and am still paying hospital bills lol. I am a firm advocate of ATGATT and have first hand seen good gear save lives. In our motorcycle community, no one is ridiculed for being over geared.

Helmet

Gloves if it is cold.

It's a 12hp step thru
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:It's a 12hp step thru
... that goes 55-60 mph (90-100 kmh).
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WORFAB
Regular User
Regular User

Post by WORFAB »

I would be a Statistic if I wasn't geared up on my old ruckus that had a top speed of 40. Driver turned left in front of me and I had no time to react basically slammed into the fender flipped 16 ft over the car landed on my back.

I was wearing a full face HJC, T-shirt, hoodie, winter jacket, had a book bag with another jacket, riding gloves, work boots and jeans. Helmet saved my brains from smashing into the concrete. I was rushed to the ER and all they found were bruised legs from the handle bars and a fractured pinky.

Now make sure I wear my icon jacket with armor, gloves and my new HJC full face, and NO SANDALS!!!

BEFORE

AFTER.....Again this was at 35 MPH

homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

I don't want to be a squid. Its a really nice Chicago evening tonight and I need to kick it up to max speed so I'm going on the expressway for the first time. I have an armored jacket with gloves and boots but no pants... Soooo wish me luck!

Btw the DMV pamphlet insists on gum sole footwear, since when has that changed? Every biker would prefer something with a leather sole that slides not sticks right? I remember my combat boots (jump boots not these desert kind) saved my ass on a sandy turn in the dark on a army range road one night by allowing my foot to hit the payment and slide when the front tire let go... that would not have worked with gum shoes. I don't thing the DMV knows the hell they teach with stuff like counter steering and gum shoes.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

All the time:
Modular helmet, flipped down
Armored jacket, mesh in summer, leather plus cordura in cooler weather
Leather gloves with moderate knuckle protection
Denim pants with knee armor
Leather boots, mid calf

I feel that the pants and gloves could be sturdier.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WORFAB wrote:I would be a Statistic if I wasn't geared up on my old ruckus that had a top speed of 40. Driver turned left in front of me and I had no time to react basically slammed into the fender flipped 16 ft over the car landed on my back.

I was wearing a full face HJC, T-shirt, hoodie, winter jacket, had a book bag with another jacket, riding gloves, work boots and jeans. Helmet saved my brains from smashing into the concrete. I was rushed to the ER and all they found were bruised legs from the handle bars and a fractured pinky.

Now make sure I wear my icon jacket with armor, gloves and my new HJC full face, and NO SANDALS!!!

BEFORE

AFTER.....Again this was at 35 MPH

For the sake of balance I need to post a picture of my bike that I haven't crashed.
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

Helmet, textile jacket (longer touring style), gloves, heavy jeans (not good enough I know), over-the-ankle boots. If(when) I get the Forza, I will be getting pants as well, or at least overpants.

Funny story... two years ago, I pulled up to a light next to a college student on a metro - he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. He looked at me and laughed and said "why are you wearing all that S%&t?". For clarity, I was on a Vespa LX50. Light turned green and we both moved onto the drive that heads down our lakefront - long downhill - good speed - and right into a swarm of dragonflies. HUGE ones. He came out of it arms, chest, legs and face bloody as hell. His blood, not the dragonflies, while I came out of it with a few dragonfly splats on my gear. It sounds bad, but I laughed all the rest of the way to work.
Image, Image
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

wilbur wrote:Helmet, textile jacket (longer touring style), gloves, heavy jeans (not good enough I know), over-the-ankle boots. If(when) I get the Forza, I will be getting pants as well, or at least overpants.

Funny story... two years ago, I pulled up to a light next to a college student on a metro - he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. He looked at me and laughed and said "why are you wearing all that S%&t?". For clarity, I was on a Vespa LX50. Light turned green and we both moved onto the drive that heads down our lakefront - long downhill - good speed - and right into a swarm of dragonflies. HUGE ones. He came out of it arms, chest, legs and face bloody as hell. His blood, not the dragonflies, while I came out of it with a few dragonfly splats on my gear. It sounds bad, but I laughed all the rest of the way to work.
He who laughs last, laughs best. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

Sh3p wrote:All The Gear All The Time. or ATGATT.

Squidding, riding Squid.

What do YOU wear when riding? What is your opinion and experience with riding gear?

EXAMPLE

Sh3p

Experience:
I'm an ATGATT, but I'd like to hear the details of your experiences with textile gear not holding up in a crash. Brand, type, damage to the gear and you, etc.
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

Indyglow wrote: I'm an ATGATT, but I'd like to hear the details of your experiences with textile gear not holding up in a crash. Brand, type, damage to the gear and you, etc.
When I started riding in college i didn't know better like most, so i was guilty of squidding often. I had a Shift Octane leather jacket my mom sent me money for (when she heard i bought a motorcycle lol) and a Shoei RF-1000 helmet. I had just scraped together the $2500 budget for my 99' ninja zx6r (bike #1) at the time and didn't have the foresight to think about gear money.
Almost two years later i have my first crash 1 block away from my apartment. Old guy was on his cellphone and made a very late left turn on red, T-boned me into the curb. Was wearing an Icon Contra textile jacket, A* gloves, jeans, coverse chucks. The jacket saved my skin, but was shredded in 2 spots from abrasion, the armor was poking out and eventually was falling out of said holes. Had to trash it shortly after, i thought about getting it repaired but no money and motivation to do so.
The jeans and converse did nothing, in fact they barely had any damage, the asphalt transfered its pain right thru the cotton and into my skin, there were bits of skin on the inside of my jeans where i had rash. It was a very weird sight the first time it happened, it was also proof that street clothes do absolutely nothing for you when you fall.

Later in life, on bike #2 (Ninja 636), riding in downtown LA on the way home I was making a left hand turn and a mercedes comes speeding in and makes a right hander into my path, i braked hard and lost grip, went for a 20mph slide on my ass/thigh and gracefully stopped at a parked car. Was wearing Icon Strongarm kevlar jeans, the kevlar saved my ass for the most part but because it was so baggy/loose the coverage was not complete and i did get 2 burn spots on my leg where there was no kevlar weave to protect. Jeans were still useable after that, but i gave them away because of the ill fit.

Most recent accident, bike #3 (SV1000). Group ride in the canyons, lowsided in a decreasing radius turn, plowed into the guardrail at about 40mph. Was wearing an Icon Overlord jacket, Drayko Drift jeans, A* short gloves, and A* SMX4 boots. The left glove exploded on impact with the guard rail when i doubled over the bike into it, the CF split plate over the knuckle shot into my hand between index and ring finger, and left a 30mm hole (ala wolverine, but only one hole and no cool blade came out). Windscreen of my bike punched thru the mesh vent panels of the jacket and cut me in the left pectoral. Drayko jeans took all the abrasion from the short slide, no rash or scrapes otherwise. Replaced the jacket and gloves, still wear the boots and jeans.

In my time riding i've gone thru some gear. Had taken claims and had insurance money buy brand new stuff. I find that for the long term rider, the most economical choice is well built comfortable leather gear that will last you multiple seasons/years. Textile is great, breathes better, and can be lighter / more comfortable, but leather has 10x the abrasion resistance that textiles do. Some textiles last multiple crashes but alot are admittedly one-crash use pieces. ***Revzilla is a great source to check out gear before you buy and their video reviews are top notch, they give honest opinions and will tell you flat out "this jacket is a one time use only". Given the price of textile vs leather, i find its always worth the extra $ to shell out for the more protective and longer lasting leather version. There are many textile garments that have the same ratings as leather but will usually also be around the same price, if you are absolutely against leather. I have found time and time again that moto gear is a "you get what you pay for" situation like most purchases are. I have many older friends that ride Goldwings or ADV bikes and wear the old school full textile jumpsuits and swear by them. Most important is how much it will protect you, and how well you fit/feel in it, the rest is kind of unimportant details imho (color, look, relative price)

I'd like to reiterate that good gear is good gear, textile, leather, or otherwise. But for quality, multiple crashes, and long lifetime, leather is proven. For gloves, full leather all the way. I recommend gauntlets for more slide potential. I can tell you 1000x "if you crash, dont put your hands out" but 99% of the time when you go down it will be the first thing you do, put a hand out to brace yourself. just dont bother with mesh gloves or mesh with plastic/rubber, mesh explodes and has low tinsel strength.

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Sh3p wrote:
Indyglow wrote: I'm an ATGATT, but I'd like to hear the details of your experiences with textile gear not holding up in a crash. Brand, type, damage to the gear and you, etc.
When I started riding in college i didn't know better like most, so i was guilty of squidding often. I had a Shift Octane leather jacket my mom sent me money for (when she heard i bought a motorcycle lol) and a Shoei RF-1000 helmet. I had just scraped together the $2500 budget for my 99' ninja zx6r (bike #1) at the time and didn't have the foresight to think about gear money.
Almost two years later i have my first crash 1 block away from my apartment. Old guy was on his cellphone and made a very late left turn on red, T-boned me into the curb. Was wearing an Icon Contra textile jacket, A* gloves, jeans, coverse chucks. The jacket saved my skin, but was shredded in 2 spots from abrasion, the armor was poking out and eventually was falling out of said holes. Had to trash it shortly after, i thought about getting it repaired but no money and motivation to do so.
The jeans and converse did nothing, in fact they barely had any damage, the asphalt transfered its pain right thru the cotton and into my skin, there were bits of skin on the inside of my jeans where i had rash. It was a very weird sight the first time it happened, it was also proof that street clothes do absolutely nothing for you when you fall.

Later in life, on bike #2 (Ninja 636), riding in downtown LA on the way home I was making a left hand turn and a mercedes comes speeding in and makes a right hander into my path, i braked hard and lost grip, went for a 20mph slide on my ass/thigh and gracefully stopped at a parked car. Was wearing Icon Strongarm kevlar jeans, the kevlar saved my ass for the most part but because it was so baggy/loose the coverage was not complete and i did get 2 burn spots on my leg where there was no kevlar weave to protect. Jeans were still useable after that, but i gave them away because of the ill fit.

Most recent accident, bike #3 (SV1000). Group ride in the canyons, lowsided in a decreasing radius turn, plowed into the guardrail at about 40mph. Was wearing an Icon Overlord jacket, Drayko Drift jeans, A* short gloves, and A* SMX4 boots. The left glove exploded on impact with the guard rail when i doubled over the bike into it, the CF split plate over the knuckle shot into my hand between index and ring finger, and left a 30mm hole (ala wolverine, but only one hole and no cool blade came out). Windscreen of my bike punched thru the mesh vent panels of the jacket and cut me in the left pectoral. Drayko jeans took all the abrasion from the short slide, no rash or scrapes otherwise. Replaced the jacket and gloves, still wear the boots and jeans.

In my time riding i've gone thru some gear. Had taken claims and had insurance money buy brand new stuff. I find that for the long term rider, the most economical choice is well built comfortable leather gear that will last you multiple seasons/years. Textile is great, breathes better, and can be lighter / more comfortable, but leather has 10x the abrasion resistance that textiles do. Some textiles last multiple crashes but alot are admittedly one-crash use pieces. ***Revzilla is a great source to check out gear before you buy and their video reviews are top notch, they give honest opinions and will tell you flat out "this jacket is a one time use only". Given the price of textile vs leather, i find its always worth the extra $ to shell out for the more protective and longer lasting leather version. There are many textile garments that have the same ratings as leather but will usually also be around the same price, if you are absolutely against leather. I have found time and time again that moto gear is a "you get what you pay for" situation like most purchases are. I have many older friends that ride Goldwings or ADV bikes and wear the old school full textile jumpsuits and swear by them. Most important is how much it will protect you, and how well you fit/feel in it, the rest is kind of unimportant details imho (color, look, relative price)

I'd like to reiterate that good gear is good gear, textile, leather, or otherwise. But for quality, multiple crashes, and long lifetime, leather is proven. For gloves, full leather all the way. I recommend gauntlets for more slide potential. I can tell you 1000x "if you crash, dont put your hands out" but 99% of the time when you go down it will be the first thing you do, put a hand out to brace yourself. just dont bother with mesh gloves or mesh with plastic/rubber, mesh explodes and has low tinsel strength.

Bit of extra training might be a good investment too.
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

you you wrote: Bit of extra training might be a good investment too.
Yeah, I try to practice often. We have some really dangerous canyons here so i've been doing more track racing lately. I've done all levels of MSF with the exception of California Superbike School, i dont feel ready for balls out in 1000cc class yet. Been spending track days at WSIR lately and looking to expand to diff courses. Will also be racing my first full season next year in M1GP.

What skill courses do you recommend? What has helped you get past the learning curve?

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

You can ignore it, he's just trolling... like his 3255 other posts. ;)
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

I know, i was just getting a laugh in.
And setting up for another laugh so he can teach me how to ride lol.

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Hi-viz HJC full face helmet, Hi-viz armored mesh jacket, riding gloves with knuckle protection, leather boots and knee and shine protection. Riding pants with armor for cooler weather.

Don't think I'm riding squid. Upgraded from a 3/4 helmet to full face because of a recommendation on this forum.

Would like to mention that the hi-viz gear helps prevent people from entering your path. :D
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Duggle »

Shoei modular helmet
mesh jacket with plastic inserts or whatever
mesh gloves (sounds like I should replace these first)
riding pants with Kevlar and padding in key areas
leather boots

Long rides I'll gear up. Short rides to the store or to get takeout I'll just wear my helmet and squidout in shorts and t-shirt. The local neighborhood roads are 30 mph or less. I know I'm taking a chance but I just don't want to totally gear up for such a short low speed ride to the store and back. I'm sure I'll change my mind in case of a crash but honestly, I ride 30-40 mph (downhill) sometimes on my bicycle with only a bicycle helmet and the same amount of clothes (baggy shorts and lycra jersey).

Last Saturday on a group ride I wore all of the gear except for the riding pants to keep cool because it was hot. Not the best idea but luckily I lived.

Hope non-members can see the picture, I'm in red.
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

Steph wrote:Hi-viz HJC full face helmet, Hi-viz armored mesh jacket, riding gloves with knuckle protection, leather boots and knee and shine protection. Riding pants with armor for cooler weather.

Don't think I'm riding squid. Upgraded from a 3/4 helmet to full face because of a recommendation on this forum.

Would like to mention that the hi-viz gear helps prevent people from entering your path. :D
Smartest gear setup i've read all day. Hi-viz definitely helps out. I don't think your gear is more than appropriate for the riding you do / trouble you can get into. I used to wear all black, and now do an all white getup, just to be seen a little better. Its kind of easy to not see an all black rider on an all black bike.

Duggle, i see what youre saying. But remember if you have you choice (which you do), you'd rather sweat than bleed im sure lol.

Fleet:
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I'm scared for the riders with black bikes, coats and helmets. I pray they make it home safe. They do look cool though.
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Duggle »

Sh3p wrote:Duggle, i see what youre saying. But remember if you have you choice (which you do), you'd rather sweat than bleed im sure lol.
Yeah, I agree. It's something I just have to get used to. I wear shorts 365/yr and pants feel uncomfortable (when I have to wear them). Even at the aerospace engineering and manufacturing company where I worked for many years, attire was casual and shorts were very acceptable, this is SoCal after all. I don't want to get all cut up and will definitely be trying to do the right thing.

The front row guy in my picture wearing green, black and grey had a full outfit with some armor but it looked very comfortable. I need to look into getting something like that, looks like it was Icon brand.