Engine Fumes

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

butch3r
Year: 2013

Engine Fumes

Post by butch3r »

I live here in Los Angeles. Engine Fumes are killing me. I just got a new PCX150 and I my first day riding it in traffic was today. I can't stand the fumes. Is there a helmet that does a good job of getting rid of these fumes. I want a surgical mask or a painter's mask system and the helmet...but that's not realistic...or is it. I need idea people!!!
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Engine Fumes

Post by Indyglow »

I don't know if this will help with LA traffic, but when I first started to ride fumes bothered me, too. I always wear a full face helmet. After a while, without really thinking about it, I learned to breathe differently in different situations. Now traffic fumes, roadkill aroma, dead skunk smell, even pig farm stench don't bother me because as soon as I notice a problem starting, I automatically breathe different. Same with helmet shield fogging. At first I would always fog up my shield at every stop sign and traffic light when it was cold out. Now I breathe different when fogging might be a problem and I rarely have fogging issues. I don't even know how to describe it, but maybe others here know what I'm talking about and can do a better job of describing what I am trying to say.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

butch3r wrote:I live here in Los Angeles. Engine Fumes are killing me. I just got a new PCX150 and I my first day riding it in traffic was today. I can't stand the fumes. Is there a helmet that does a good job of getting rid of these fumes. I want a surgical mask or a painter's mask system and the helmet...but that's not realistic...or is it. I need idea people!!!
Aren't most vehicles equipped with catalytic converters in LA?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Indyglow wrote:I don't know if this will help with LA traffic, but when I first started to ride fumes bothered me, too. I always wear a full face helmet. After a while, without really thinking about it, I learned to breathe differently in different situations. Now traffic fumes, roadkill aroma, dead skunk smell, even pig farm stench don't bother me because as soon as I notice a problem starting, I automatically breathe different. Same with helmet shield fogging. At first I would always fog up my shield at every stop sign and traffic light when it was cold out. Now I breathe different when fogging might be a problem and I rarely have fogging issues. I don't even know how to describe it, but maybe others here know what I'm talking about and can do a better job of describing what I am trying to say.

I love the smell of the country on a bike. It's one of the biggest bonuses. Bacon breakfasts in the morning and bbqs in the evening

Farm smells are great too. Wet grass and heather

Not Heather. All Heathers sweat a lot
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

butch3r wrote:I live here in Los Angeles. Engine Fumes are killing me. I just got a new PCX150 and I my first day riding it in traffic was today. I can't stand the fumes. Is there a helmet that does a good job of getting rid of these fumes. I want a surgical mask or a painter's mask system and the helmet...but that's not realistic...or is it. I need idea people!!!
In Bangkok where the pollution is very bad, many motorcyclists wear masks such as these. I got these images from Google, but there are plain ones readily available as well. Is there nothing like this in the US?
Face Mask 1_800x600.jpg
Face Mask 1_800x600.jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Face Mask 2_800x600.jpg
Face Mask 2_800x600.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Face Mask 3_800x600.jpg
Face Mask 3_800x600.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Will that get rid of the fumes as it's only cloth?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

kram, I saw a lot of masks the other day that looked similar, it was Halloween :lol: I couldn't resist, sorry :D
Seriously with that kind of air quality they better wear masks (more like carry-on oxygen!) I remember reading a post you wrote awhile back (with pics) about pollution. I had mentioned controlled burning in FL at that time. *All* of it is awful to breath. In Florida you see a lot of HD riders wearing masks for pollen reasons too. There's always some form of that in the air.
How to Not breath engine fumes? Gosh, don't know. It's everywhere in L.A. It just sits there right? You can't avoid it. Maybe google for ideas? Ask cycle shop? :roll:
I'd rather deal with cow/horse farm/stable poop. There was a large farm nearby to me in FL that broke down their cows manure in water and then watered their farmland with it! Ripe! God awful smell when the wind was wrong. So yeah, I sympathize with everybody that breaths all this bad stench stuff! :|
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

WhiteNoise wrote:kram, I saw a lot of masks the other day that looked similar, it was Halloween :lol: I couldn't resist, sorry :D :|
LOL ... or as they say in Thailand 555 .... the word for 5 is 'ha', so 555 make hahaha.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:Will that get rid of the fumes as it's only cloth?
It doesn't keep all of the fumes out, but where there are fumes, there are particles of pollution, and they do help keep that out ... at least some of it anyway.
prenders88

Post by prenders88 »

kramnala58 wrote:
you you wrote:Will that get rid of the fumes as it's only cloth?
It doesn't keep all of the fumes out, but where there are fumes, there are particles of pollution, and they do help keep that out ... at least some of it anyway.

Fumes are just as bad in Udon Thani, especially in the centre of town.
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

I also lived in LA, when I was going to college. Fumes were killing me then, too...found the perfect solution.

Moved to Colorado. :lol:
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

Always the option of donning an astronaut space suit or high altitude jet mask with oxygen bottle.
stone

Post by stone »

I use n95 mask when it is very polluted.