My cheap alternative to GPS.

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

My cheap alternative to GPS.

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Seeing that I dont own a gps and have always used my phone to get me out of a jam I wanted a cheap alternative to having a gps on my bike in the event I get lost and need directions. The other advantage is an accurate speedometer. I now know that my bike says I am going 2 mph faster than what I really am.

I did not want to take the chance of destroying my new I phone 5 so I rescued my old HTC Incredible II out from the desk drawer and using wifi was able to download an app called Navfree. It downloads maps to the phone so needing data service is not necessary. You do need to turn on your local GPS location service. I searched to find a decent mount that wasnt expensive and found this one on Amazon's website. http://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity-Motor ... ycle+mount

It only cost me $15 bucks and some change and seeing my daughter wanted to buy something with her own money we combined and got the free shipping option.

The mount works well and doesnt move around even when I go over the double railroad tracks on the way to work every day. It can handle a small gps unit too along with a bunch of other brands of cell phones. I have gone on the interstate now testing my bikes speed and wot for 1 mile I held 69 mph and occasionally the gps would flash to 70 then go back to 69. Here are some pictures of my set up.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Re: My cheap alternative to GPS.

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Ok not sure why some of the pics are upside down as they show up fine on my pc, but you get the general idea. :oops:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I use the thing between my ears.
Costs even less.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I use the thing between my ears.
Costs even less.
Aren't you using yer compass in your Clark's Commandos?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Never had those, I had Moonwalk ones with a magnet in the heel and a sole pattern that looked like craters.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Never had those, I had Moonwalk ones with a magnet in the heel and a sole pattern that looked like craters.
Cool

Tell the kids today and the don't believed you...
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

bloke down our way uses a map - not sure if it will catch on though.......
mdouglas71

Post by mdouglas71 »

Not bad. A old phone is definitely a good GPS.
Honestly, I use my iphone 5 if I need to get anywhere. It's pretty much the same thing tome.
mrdtrotter
Year: 2015
Color: black

Post by mrdtrotter »

Google maps works a treat with head phones and thats free, even better now I have the scala rider Q1 headset. Perfect.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

hatari wrote:bloke down our way uses a map - not sure if it will catch on though.......

Not on a bike in the rain.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Waterproof locking tank bag with clear map pocket on my Strom.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

My GPS is a Giant Piece of String. Always gets me back home....
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

The thing is with SatNav they get you to where you want to go but you don't necessarily know how or where.

Maybe others do but I like to actually plan the route rather than simply follow. Google maps and a printer. Then use odometer.

You can't get lost with a SatNav, but sometimes whilst getting lost you discover things and places you would never have found otherwise.

For work business where time is important OK.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I updated my wife's old TomTom 720 (from 2010) and with the latest firmware and maps it is actually works very well. It an even alerts me when I get 5 mph over the speed limit and has gas stations, restaurants, etc.. They say you can pick them up used for $50 on Craigslist and then $25 for the one-time new maps with discount and just update the firmware for free. I also put a new $12 battery in it off of EBay but I run power to it.

I use the Tyre application to create my routes and then Tyre runs the TomTom software and updates the itinerary to it. Works great. The only issue I found is that the TomTom has a 48 point waypoint limit so I am miserly with waypoints a bit. I think it is tough to beat the Tyre program. It works with Garmin, TomTom, Google Maps and Earth, etc..

http://www.tyretotravel.com/

I still have my Samsung Galaxy S6 on board for communications and it is a GPS backup but the touchscreen and display isn't ideal for GPS use with gloves and in the sun.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930