GMax Helmet

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

GMax Helmet

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

I bought a helmet last week and have started forcing myself to use it. I keep telling myself that someday it may save my life. I couldnt afford the fancy helmets but I found one that is comfortable and functional while in my budget which was $100.00.

It ended up being a steal from my Honda dealer as they had a helmet sale last week leading up to the rally in Sturgis. 30% off all helmets in stock as a promo to get more riders to wear helmets (we have had 6 deaths allready all without helmets) The price on this helmet was $89.99 originally but with tax I ended up owning it for around $67.00. It is made by GMax and can be viewed here http://www.gmaxhelmet.com/GM67S-SO.html

The helmet has lots of venting, a built in tinted sheild and a clear full sheild is included. Comes with a helmet bag. I purchased the black to match the color of my PCX.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: GMax Helmet

Post by you you »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:I bought a helmet last week and have started forcing myself to use it. I keep telling myself that someday it may save my life. I couldnt afford the fancy helmets but I found one that is comfortable and functional while in my budget which was $100.00.

It ended up being a steal from my Honda dealer as they had a helmet sale last week leading up to the rally in Sturgis. 30% off all helmets in stock as a promo to get more riders to wear helmets (we have had 6 deaths allready all without helmets) The price on this helmet was $89.99 originally but with tax I ended up owning it for around $67.00. It is made by GMax and can be viewed here http://www.gmaxhelmet.com/GM67S-SO.html

The helmet has lots of venting, a built in tinted sheild and a clear full sheild is included. Comes with a helmet bag. I purchased the black to match the color of my PCX.
And..?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:I purchased the black to match the color of my PCX.
Wrong colour, helmets should always be white.
Wrong type of helmet, open face helmets are no good at all.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Cheap Ride, I was wondering if you knew about G Max's GM78 Full Face? What's added is an integrated LED light with multifunction button (and an optional LED brake light kit is available too), plus the inner flip sun tint lens & more. Just over $100 here: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/spor ... m78+helmet+
Quite a Hat for the money, more protection and ratings good. Not being pushy, just bringing this one to your (anyones) attention.
I love the scooter look of an open face and rolling at low speed seems (just) okay, but for best in safety...a FF has ya covered (all my opinion) :P To each his/her own, of course.
Enjoy your bike...Have FUN!! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:I bought a helmet last week and have started forcing myself to use it.
-------------
South Dakota is a 'free state' -- wearing a helmet is not required, right? From a European point of view that sounds a little bit strange. In Thailand, maybe half of the population riding scooters never wear a helmet, although it is mandatory. In the sticks it's no big deal, but on the open road or when entering a city one risks a fine, because the police are plenty and eager to check on the helmets.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

khaosaming wrote:
~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:I bought a helmet last week and have started forcing myself to use it.
-------------
In Thailand, maybe half of the population riding scooters never wear a helmet, although it is mandatory. In the sticks it's no big deal, but on the open road or when entering a city one risks a fine, because the police are plenty and eager to check on the helmets.
Quite true, but the reality is that for those who do where a helmet in Thaland, the helmet is typically just a glorified bicycle helmet and can be purchased for anywhere between 100-400฿ (£2.00-8.25; €2.40-9.60; $3.20-12.80US). One can't expect much protection for their melon at that price. :o
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

kramnala58 wrote:...those who do where a helmet in Thaland, the helmet is typically just a glorified bicycle helmet...
-------------
Most, if not all, of the helmets used in Thailand are actually for motorcycle use and approved (which doesn't mean much). The standard is called TIS with a number following. A widely used trade mark is Safetymet. Another is Index.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:Wrong colour, helmets should always be white.
Is this preference or do you have some logic to it?
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

@Kramnala58

According to some statistics or surveys, the colour white is the most visible and hence the safest.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

White stands Out. Hmm, I recall awhile back posting a picture of a large crowd of folks, someone had a white (or very similar) head piece on. I spotted "that" at a glance among the congestion. I took that as proof, that White is Seen. I also like the Hi-Viz gear being sold, a better choice (mo) than solid dark. I also have a reflective band at the very base of my FF Shoei....it pops!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

gn2 wrote:

I must have forgotten to consult thine holy one before purchasing... :roll:

Bottom line, if I get hit, I am better off for wearing a helmet regardless of how wrong you think my choice is.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hey Cheap Ride, I was wondering if you knew about G Max's GM78 Full Face? What's added is an integrated LED light with multifunction button (and an optional LED brake light kit is available too), plus the inner flip sun tint lens & more. Just over $100 here: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/spor ... m78+helmet+
Quite a Hat for the money, more protection and ratings good. Not being pushy, just bringing this one to your (anyones) attention.
I love the scooter look of an open face and rolling at low speed seems (just) okay, but for best in safety...a FF has ya covered (all my opinion) :P To each his/her own, of course.
Enjoy your bike...Have FUN!! 8)
I did not see that my dealer had that one in stock when I bought mine, but it looks like a good helmet.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

khaosaming wrote:
-------------
South Dakota is a 'free state' -- wearing a helmet is not required, right? From a European point of view that sounds a little bit strange. In Thailand, maybe half of the population riding scooters never wear a helmet, although it is mandatory. In the sticks it's no big deal, but on the open road or when entering a city one risks a fine, because the police are plenty and eager to check on the helmets.
Yes, SD has a law that if you are 18 years of age, wearing a helmet is a choice. We had a couple from Brandon SD that died this week becuase the driver of the bike hit a van head on in a construction zone. Not much more has been released on the story, but we do know that both were not wearing helmets.
ryanday2

Post by ryanday2 »

Which color is better? Hi-Vis yellow or white?
"I'm very comfortable in my skin."
- Celine Dion
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Either is way better than black. The most important thing is a full-face helmet. My neighbor had to have facial reconstruction when she faceplanted on a curb and was only wearing a half helmet. She would have been fine if she was wearing a full face helmet.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

khaosaming wrote:According to some statistics or surveys, the colour white is the most visible and hence the safest.
Glad I got a white one then ... besides that, it matches my PCX. :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:
gn2 wrote:

I must have forgotten to consult thine holy one before purchasing... :roll:

Bottom line, if I get hit, I am better off for wearing a helmet regardless of how wrong you think my choice is.
Just so long as you don't get hit in the face.
Which is very likely.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
guenthar

Post by guenthar »

I wouldn't be here if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I have actually been looking for a new one lately since I got my new scooter and saw some full faced helmets with good reviews for around $30.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I like the 'idea' of a full face helmet, but it gets really, really hot here. Recently, while we were on a long ride (180 miles) I began to feel really bad. I had a doo rag on to keep the sweat from running down into my face. It was soaked and my wife said my face was red. We pulled into a coffee shop and I had to wet a small towel we carried with us. If we had been using a full face helmet I'm afraid that I might have overheated. It may just be me, since I have leukemia, but with temps in the 80s and 90s with very high humidity it is like being in a sauna . I am all for full face helmets but we bought our helmets based on comfort in this environment. When I lived in Texas I had a full face helmet and was OK, so I think it is the humidity that is the problem.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:Either is way better than black. The most important thing is a full-face helmet. My neighbor had to have facial reconstruction when she faceplanted on a curb and was only wearing a half helmet. She would have been fine if she was wearing a full face helmet.
Or better still not fallen off..