Motorcycle Helmets

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Motorcycle Helmets

Post by sendler2112 »

PCXade wrote:How come I never see cycling helmets that have a load of reflective material on them?
The helmet is the most important place for added visibility.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by PCXade »

Oh yeah, I did a search on 'reflective motorcycle helmet' and there are a lot. I guess its just the cheap ones i.e. most, that come plain.

Can I therefore get some aftermarket reflective striping that is okay to place on the helmet?
Picked up my lovely new PCX 125 in Red on Monday 13th October 2014!
The love affair starts now....
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I've got two cheap but highly rated (for safety and comfort) helmets but i'm looking at two others that are one size up, not plain but still with enough white on them to be seen better - just to get an XL for wearing a balaclava. Earlier today I tried on a mates carbon Nolan helmet in size XXL and surprised to find it does not feel that much larger than my Box BX-1 L size (which fits me fine). The Nolan is supposed to be two sizes up but feels a bit tight compared to the Box. I know there are differences in shape and size, but the Nolan just felt so wrong on me. A Shark 700 in XL is nice and roomy in comparison.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

I have a medium modular Lazer and it fits really well on my bonce, which is a result as I ordered it online.
I forget I am wearing it almost...

However, my left ear is bloody sore :) I stretch out the two cheek wings as far as possible when putting it on but struggle to pull them out when I take it off and it is killing my left ear.. not sure how my right ear gets away with it :)
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Just wanted to say...

How bloody great are those Pinlock screen covers!!! o_O

When I got my helmet I knew it included this Pinlock thing to help avoid misting up.
I put the helmet on for my first spin when I picked up the PCX from the dealer and it was fogging up really badly and I was thinking that this is a disaster and really dangerous.

It was only when I got home that I realised than the Pinlock cover was still in the bloody box.. haha :D

After spending 5 minutes trying to snap the bastard into place.. WOW.. never looked back. The screen does not mist up AT ALL - not even if I cough or try to breath on it on purpose.
Brilliant..

Makes me wonder though.. how on earth do people ride a bike safely without one!
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

PCXade wrote:Just wanted to say...

The past 3 mornings my visor has not "unfogged" a single minute of my trip to work. However... right where the pinlock portion is... perfectly clear. I absolutely love mine and will NOT ride without one in the future.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Many riders have never tried a pin lock inner visor. Don't even know what it is when they find it in the box with their new helmet. And just think it is normal part of riding to have dangerous fogging on the inside of their face shield when they get "caught" in cool or rainy weather (like that is something to avoid riding in at all costs).
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

JoshM wrote:
PCXade wrote:Just wanted to say...

The past 3 mornings my visor has not "unfogged" a single minute of my trip to work. However... right where the pinlock portion is... perfectly clear. I absolutely love mine and will NOT ride without one in the future.
Homie wants one but it better be good for the price... do you leave it in all year round?
http://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-FF386 ... lock+visor
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

Only since it's gotten cooler. Most of the time I use a tinted visor.

I'll eventually buy the smoked pinlock to replace the full visor.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:Many riders have never tried a pin lock inner visor. Don't even know what it is when they find it in the box with their new helmet. And just think it is normal part of riding to have dangerous fogging on the inside of their face shield when they get "caught" in cool or rainy weather (like that is something to avoid riding in at all costs).
Pinlock is kind of meh with me. You need to handle them with kid's gloves because they scratch easily(and I already have tiny hairline scratches on my faceshield), they can't be worn at night(for the most part), and they won't stop any corrective lenses or sunglasses from fogging up. I also notice that even during the day they can cast strange reflections on the inside of your faceshield.

There isn't much cool weather here, but rainy or humid days can still fog up your helmet. I personally ordered a small bottle of Clarity Defog It solution as an alternative(still waiting on it).
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote: do you leave it in all year round?
Of course. Because I have a pop down sun visor also. The best pin locks have a fog free coating on the inside. It is a thin gelatin coating. Do not ever try to clean it with a cloth. Just clean the face shield well as usual with a lint free cloth and Plexus and stick the brand new pinlock on. Make sure it fits properly so it is sealed all the way around. The only way to clean fog free coatings is under warm running water with a drop of dish soap on your fingers and then shake off the water and dry with a blow dryer. You only have to clean the inside if it leaks.
PS. My original pin lock that came with my Schuberth is still clean and working well after 4 years and 45,000 miles. I would never think of riding without it. All around the edges is fogged up but the pin lock is perfectly clear.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Its been cold and wet for the last few weeks in the UK..
The pinlock is really needed.
I would say it is needed from October to April in the UK, on average, but it will stay in there all the time and replace as and when.

Like most people, in the heat of summer, its nicer with the visor up anyway and the tinted visor bit down. I dont wear glasses or sunglasses anyway.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote:You need to handle them with kid's gloves because they scratch easily(and I already have tiny hairline scratches on my faceshield
Most of the complaints that I have read about poor visibility with a pin lock turn out to be people that cleaned the anti fog side with a cloth or paper towel which digs the coating up in one try. Face shields are easily scratched though. That is why I don't touch mine with anything other than Photex wipes...
http://www.amazon.com/Photex-Scanner-Wi ... 380&sr=1-1
And Plexus..
http://www.amazon.com/Vega-Plexus-Spray ... 454&sr=1-2
If the inside coated side of the pin lock get dirty from a leak, wash it only under running warm water with a drop of dish soap on your fingers and then blow dry.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I use my pinlock at night without any issues. The view is a little better without it. But, the fogging is a deal breaker. Should be used when temps get near 60 degrees. Summer time I used a tinted shield during the day and change it at sunset.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Agh.. scrathed my helmets main visor... right in the bloody centre.
I have a modular flip up helmet and the visor often at the top of my head and I keep backing it accidently on cupboards, doors, the bike, etc..

It looks safe still - ish - but I might as well order a new one in from Lazer... :(
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015

Post by Kenno »

I'm the same with mine. I've only scratched the side of the visor luckily so I can't see it. Few scratches on the helmet itself too! Just need to remember I'm wearing it!
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

My husband has his all scratched up. Clumsy.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Ah, right, I think there is no great way to avoid it as they are so large and we tend to carry then and place them in unsafe places. I imagine not many of us place it back in its nice carry bag as soon as we get off the bike :(
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

I'm guilty of not using the protective pouch it came with. I prop it on the handle bar without mishap. I plan on getting a helmet net so I can secure it to the seat when i go out. Will take a little bit of work to steal it. Who would want a used helmet anyway.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Helmets get stolen. I would never think of leaving my Schuberth unlocked. I usually take it into the store with me but if I go somewhere on one of my bikes without locking storage, I use a bike cable lock through the arm of my jacket and through the chin of the helmet with the jacket covering the helmet to help make sure it is still there when I come back.