Repainting helmet?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Keebler Dwarf

Repainting helmet?

Post by Keebler Dwarf »

I love my Nolan N43, but I wasn't able to get it in the color I want. I want one with a lot of white for higher visibility, but mine is pretty dark. Also, the paint on mine got scratched up a bit due to a little carelessness when I first got it (no accident impacts or anything like that, just scuffs from not setting it down carefully). I'm thinking of repainting it. I know there's a culture of having colorful designs on helmets, but I don't see why I should pay for someone else's design when I can paint it myself (was a fine-arts major in undergrad with a focus in painting, so this won't be new for me).

Assuming I mask off parts properly (and remove the face shield!) and seal it all up properly after I'm done, is there anything I need to take care of not to damage the helmet? Also, the DOT sticker on the back... is that for my benefit or do I need to keep it (without painting over it) for some reason (maybe to show to police if I get stopped)?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Repainting helmet?

Post by you you »

Should be fine as long as the shell isn't polycarbonate. Not familiar with Nolan so I don't know
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

According to a quick Google it's made of Lexan polycarbonate.
So you can't paint or put stickers on it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Keebler Dwarf

Post by Keebler Dwarf »

Thanks for the quick answers-

Why does it being Lexan polycarbonate matter?

EDIT: I just read that the fear is solvents in the paint might damage the polycarbonate. If that's what you were meaning then never mind.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Because if you paint polycarbonate you will seriously weaken it.
Lexan is a brand name.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Because if you paint polycarbonate you will seriously weaken it.
Lexan is a brand name.

Tis true. Paint it and it'll look ok but most of its impact protection can be lost
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Keebler Dwarf wrote:EDIT: I just read that the fear is solvents in the paint might damage the polycarbonate. If that's what you were meaning then never mind.
There's no "might", painting it it does major structural damage.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

You may be OK using water based paints but you will have to do some research. I wouldnt do it myself.
Keebler Dwarf

Post by Keebler Dwarf »

I won't bother if even water-based paints are up to chance, as I'd have to seal it with something that would likely be just as bad as the paints. It's a pity, but I'm glad I asked.

Can anyone answer my question about the DOT sticker? Who is that there for?
gregalman

Post by gregalman »

You should check your local laws on that one. California requires the DOT sticker stay in place.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The DOT sticker is there for the cops -- in every state that helmets are required, the helmets have to be DOT approved. Without that, they're "offroad only," and not legal for roadway use.

Technically speaking, removing the DOT sticker is a bad idea because the cops can't tell if it is DOT approved or not at a glance, and could make issue of it. That's just could -- the cops would have to be trying to cite you for ANYTHING to do that, and even then, you could go to court and argue against that easily. If you don't want to deal with it and are willing to deal with a minimal probability of hassling with that, remove it. Otherwise, leave it.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:The DOT sticker is there for the cops -- in every state that helmets are required, the helmets have to be DOT approved. Without that, they're "offroad only," and not legal for roadway use.

Technically speaking, removing the DOT sticker is a bad idea because the cops can't tell if it is DOT approved or not at a glance, and could make issue of it. That's just could -- the cops would have to be trying to cite you for ANYTHING to do that, and even then, you could go to court and argue against that easily. If you don't want to deal with it and are willing to deal with a minimal probability of hassling with that, remove it. Otherwise, leave it.
The dot sticker woulnt change the life or behaviour of any policeman

Tbh most grunts couldn't spell dot

Apologies gn2, I know you've now discover google. And boy do we know it
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I would look into the Plasti Dip. It is removeable and I doesn't damage the original pant. There are plenty of videos on YouTube. This is also the website for it. http://www.plastidip.com/
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Or just get another helmet the colour you want.