Windshields, helmet buffeting, and top end speed issues.

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Windshields, helmet buffeting, and top end speed issues.

Post by romnation »

Is there a windshield in existence for the PCX that doesn't have horrible wind noise / helmet buffeting or won't kill my top end speed?

While the Givi D1136ST (medium Givi) is a great windshield for speed (I'm able to hit 73mph) The wind noise around my helmet is horrible. Even when in town doing speeds of 30-40mph it is very bad. I've tried multiple helmets as well. With the stock "windshield" I have basically no wind noise in town, but I'm only able to top out around 67-69mph and could really use some extra oomph on the highway.

I'm hesitant to try a bunch of other windshields, only to be disappointed. Is there anything out there that would fit what I'm looking for? I was considering this one here, but again, I'm not sure if it will meet my criteria.
https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windshi ... bike=11705

Anyone have any good shield reccs?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Windshields, helmet buffeting, and top end speed issues.

Post by Jge64 »

You may get the protection you need from the extra tall Givi me that some people have. I personally think it looks hideous. There is just not that much front square footage on a PCX to completely give you a quiet ride. I would investigate some earplugs and go with the shorter givi or the puig. I don't think you're going To see that much difference. Earplugs should be the answer to wind noise, not the windshield.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

Jge64 wrote:You may get the protection you need from the extra tall Givi me that some people have. I personally think it looks hideous. There is just not that much front square footage on a PCX to completely give you a quiet ride. I would investigate some earplugs and go with the shorter givi or the puig. I don't think you're going To see that much difference. Earplugs should be the answer to wind noise, not the windshield.
I agree, the tall Givi looks a bit ridiculous to me as well. I do ride with ear plugs when going on the highway, but even with ear plugs enough wind noise gets through to annoy me. For cruising around town at 30mph on short trips, I do not want to mess with earplugs.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

A lower screen, to save MPH, with an add-on 'lip' to direct air over the helmet?
I overcame massive head turbulence of stock Burg 400 screen, by replacing it with short/sport Ermax screen. I always wear earplugs.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It may not look great but my tall Givi windshield gives me a lot of protection from the wind. Obviously, as with most scooter windshields, you gain something and you lose something with each windshield. It is going to be up to you to decide what is most important to you when riding.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

The Givi screens are fixed directly to the bodywork and allow very little air to flow under and behind the screen. The buffeting on mine is caused by wind rushing in down and around me to fill the lower-pressure area behind the screen. The large Honda screen fits instead to a bracket which ensures a gap all around the base of the screen, and I imagine in turn allows far more air to flow behind the screen from the front to better balance the air pressure. I don't know if anyone on the forum has tried both?

Living in the UK on the coast - the larger Givi screen, whilst a bit OTT, keeps the rain from pooling in my crotch in really bad weather and I use ear plugs designed to reduce air sounds (mainly) and have installed a headset for sounds. But the buffeting is still noticible, and the only exercise I used to get was holding onto the handlebars in a gale with the original screen!
G'Bru
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

gbru2505 wrote:The Givi screens are fixed directly to the bodywork and allow very little air to flow under and behind the screen. The buffeting on mine is caused by wind rushing in down and around me to fill the lower-pressure area behind the screen. The large Honda screen fits instead to a bracket which ensures a gap all around the base of the screen, and I imagine in turn allows far more air to flow behind the screen from the front to better balance the air pressure. I don't know if anyone on the forum has tried both?

Living in the UK on the coast - the larger Givi screen, whilst a bit OTT, keeps the rain from pooling in my crotch in really bad weather and I use ear plugs designed to reduce air sounds (mainly) and have installed a headset for sounds. But the buffeting is still noticible, and the only exercise I used to get was holding onto the handlebars in a gale with the original screen!
Yeah I'd definitely be interested in hearing from some of you folks that have the taller Honda branded screen.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

I'm running an HRC screen that's much taller than stock.. maybe call it a medium height? Anyway, it's been pretty good for me, while my helmet is definitely in the wind I'm not getting any noticeable buffet nor did speed/mpg change
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

I have the Honda Tall Windscreen, but have not used any other brands on my PCX. Looking at the design/contours of it, I suspect that Honda did at least some wind tunnel testing on it. I haven't noticed any objectionable buffeting or noise, and it definitely improved my top speed, fuel economy, and quietness over the default sport screen. (My wind tolerance may be different than yours?) Interestingly, my new Bell Qualifier helmet generates more wind noise than my old Bell Zephyr helmet did. I added Bell's chin curtain to the new helmet and now it's quieter than the old one was.
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

I bought a used Slipstreamer windshield off Craigslist for $40. It mounts with brackets on the handle bar.
Not as sleek as the ones that bolt in the stock position.
BUT IT WORKS GREAT! It allows air up and under, no buffeting.
You can adjust the lean angle, and the height. It blocks the wind more because it is closer to you.
And you can remove it in seconds! With just two knobs.
Of the three in the pic, the one I have is the middle on 17"wide by 20"tall.

Wife said if was too high, so I cut it down (too much)
Am getting a different used shield in a couple of days.
When I get it cut the right size, I will post a pic.
Screenshot_20190409-202737.png
Screenshot_20190409-202737.png (474.62 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Cycleruss
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

IMG_20190412_200057.jpg
IMG_20190412_200057.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Here is a pic of the one ( I cut off of the bottom)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Wow...no thanks, but glad it works for you....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Cycleruss wrote:I bought a used Slipstreamer windshield off Craigslist for $40. It mounts with brackets on the handle bar.
Not as sleek as the ones that bolt in the stock position.
BUT IT WORKS GREAT! It allows air up and under, no buffeting.
You can adjust the lean angle, and the height. It blocks the wind more because it is closer to you.
And you can remove it in seconds! With just two knobs.
Of the three in the pic, the one I have is the middle on 17"wide by 20"tall.
This is the windscreen I had on my 1980 SuperCub. Mine was the largest one (CF-50) and yes, it worked great! Once I installed it I never wanted to ride the scoot without it. IMO the looks of this screen fit better with the older motorbike's styling than with the PCX's modern styling, but it's hard to argue with the $40 price!
smrbike
Color: Red

Post by smrbike »

Personally, I leave the stock WS as is and just have a face shield (if not already) on your helmet. I ride with my 3/4 mc helmet w face shield (lifts up & Down) on anything I ride. Do as one desires - no right way, just your way.
Now: '16 PCX150, '13 CB1100
Still-To-Do: Life, ...
Prior: '70s CB450, '90s-00s CB750 Nighthawk
First: '60s Honda 50 or 90