Oxford hot grips and Tucano muffs.

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

seanyp83
Year: 2013
Color: blue honda visi

Oxford hot grips and Tucano muffs.

Post by seanyp83 »

Hello.
Wanted to know if it were possible to fit Oxford hot grips and Tucano muffs?? Will the operation of the throttle be hindered by having handlerbar muffs installed?
I have a Honda vision 110 but would like to know if anyone has successfully done this on any scooter.

Thanks.

Sean
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Re: Oxford hot grips and Tucano muffs.

Post by dick the den »

I Have a Honda vision 110,scoot,not oxford but dr.some thing heated grips ,I don't no..????????? But give them a try,whats your view of the vision..?????????????
I Cannot prise it enough,it does what it does no more.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have seen several discussions on this forum about the hand muffs. Here is one of them.
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... ffs#p99057
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dick the den wrote:I Have a Honda vision 110,scoot,not oxford but dr.some thing heated grips ,I don't no..????????? But give them a try,whats your view of the vision..?????????????

If you keep on doing this I can’t take the piss out of the North Americans for being stupid and/or semi literate.

Try harder.

Unless you are being ironic. In that case well done, it’s a work of art.
seanyp83

Post by seanyp83 »

Thank you.
I think the vision is a great bike.
I've hit a massive problem trying to fit the heated grips. when trying to remove the throttle side bar end I have stripped the screw head. :-s I tred to drill it out with a metal drill bit and damaged my drill bit to the process. Really need help with this. can I get a metal hacksaw and try to saw hrough the screw or would i be better off using a screw extractor tool?
Thanks again
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Rode a vision on my CBT, far too small for a 6ft man whereas the PCX feels so much better.
I damaged a screw bit trying to get the bar end bolts out (three of us holding the bike and putting pressure on the bit and trying to turn it). Stripped one of the screw head just like you did. Bought a special drill bit that proved to be useless.
In the end I used a combination of 3 normal metal bits ranging from small to 6mm and a normal action electric drill - worked like a charm. Took a few minutes each side, and the bit/screw got so hot not only did the loctite melt and loosen but sparks were coming off the screw head as it was drilled into! Fitted allen key bolts as replacements.
To get the Ebay universal hamd guards fitted, keeping the original bar ends, I needed slightly longer bolts than came with the bike - 60's rather than 45's from memory.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

iceman said, "fitted allen key bolts as replacements."....."keeping the original bar ends, I needed slightly longer bolts than came with the bike - 60's rather the 45's from memory."

A good bit of advice right there! :)
iceman for our viewers (that includes me), would you please show us an example of the Longer replacement bolts used? A pic off the www would be fine.

In reference to loosening tight finicky bolts, a spritz of this on those bolts the night before or a few hours before "the attack" :lol: helps. I used it on my tight handlebar bolts. Easy peasy removal afterwards.
PRIOR TO SPRAYING: wrap the grips with rags and throw a towel over surrounding area (in case of overspray). Good Luck!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.14 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

WhiteNoise wrote:iceman said, "fitted allen key bolts as replacements."....."keeping the original bar ends, I needed slightly longer bolts than came with the bike - 60's rather the 45's from memory."
A good bit of advice right there! :)
iceman for our viewers (that includes me), would you please show us an example of the Longer replacement bolts used? A pic off the www would be fine.
In reference to loosening tight finicky bolts, a spritz of this on those bolts the night before or a few hours before "the attack" :lol: helps. I used it on my tight handlebar bolts. Easy peasy removal afterwards.
PRIOR TO SPRAYING: wrap the grips with rags and throw a towel over surrounding area (in case of overspray). Good Luck!
Not able to take a piccy right now. I only needed longer bolts as the universal hand guards and small plastic bits sat proud of the original bar ends, adding some depth. They came with replacement plastic bar ends and inners but not suitable for the PCX and the originals are best (heavy for a reason).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Universal ... 0507.m3226
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

you you wrote:
dick the den wrote:I Have a Honda vision 110,scoot,not oxford but dr.some thing heated grips ,I don't no..????????? But give them a try,whats your view of the vision..?????????????

If you keep on doing this I can’t take the piss out of the North Americans for being stupid and/or semi literate.

Try harder.

Unless you are being ironic. In that case well done, it’s a work of art.
Weirdly, I can read that and know exactly what dtd means to say ... I think ... well I hope, anyway. :?
seanyp83

Post by seanyp83 »

Thanks Iceman.

What type of metal drill bit did you use? will these work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heller-13-Pi ... XQVT9TBokp

or should I get something best with a cobalt tip? Also did you use a cordless drill or one that you plug in please (was thinking whether a high powered drill is needed).

Thanks again.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

WN,
What is the name of that spray? I tried to zoom in on the picture but I don't see a full name.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Mel46 wrote:WN,
What is the name of that spray? I tried to zoom in on the picture but I don't see a full name.
Mel - it's 'PB Penetrating Catalyst'.

You can get it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-Pe ... rating+oil
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

I have found that a set of left-hand drill bits are a useful addition to the tool kit. Often the heat generated while drilling will free the stuck bolt. Much better on smaller size bolts.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

To SeanyP's OP, I have a set of Tucano muffs on my Forza and they work quite well. I did have to cut out a little bigger thumb hole in the left one to get better access to the turn signals switch, but other than that they're well-made and easy to live with.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

seanyp83 wrote:Thanks Iceman.
What type of metal drill bit did you use? will these work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heller-13-Pi ... XQVT9TBokp or should I get something best with a cobalt tip? Also did you use a cordless drill or one that you plug in please (was thinking whether a high powered drill is needed). Thanks again.
I bought a special cobalt drill, next to useless but that may have been due to the shape of the drill bit head. I then used very old bits I have had around for years (must be 20+ years old) and they worked like a charm. The bolt is not that hard as it can be stripped easily, indeed the loctite is tougher or so it seems as that does not give. Best get a few 2mm, 4mm and 6mm metal bits and use them - cheap ones should be ok.
seanyp83

Post by seanyp83 »

Thanks Iceman and thanks everyone for your replies :-)
Will let you know how I get on.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

iceman wrote:Rode a vision on my CBT, far too small for a 6ft man whereas the PCX feels so much better.
I am the other way round,the pcx is far to small in size for me,6"3",but the vision is better.
I damaged a screw bit trying to get the bar end bolts out (three of us holding the bike and putting pressure on the bit and trying to turn it). Stripped one of the screw head just like you did. Bought a special drill bit that proved to be useless.
In the end I used a combination of 3 normal metal bits ranging from small to 6mm and a normal action electric drill - worked like a charm. Took a few minutes each side, and the bit/screw got so hot not only did the loctite melt and loosen but sparks were coming off the screw head as it was drilled into! Fitted allen key bolts as replacements.
To get the Ebay universal hamd guards fitted, keeping the original bar ends, I needed slightly longer bolts than came with the bike - 60's rather than 45's from memory.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

As a cheap alternative to the more expensive muffs these are also available. Sold under the name Kwik-Tek or Scooter Logic. Other accessories also available.

Link for the muffs.

https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-ScootR-Logi ... oter+logic

Link for the bags.

https://www.amazon.com/ScootR-Logic-SLS ... oter+logic

Reviews are generally good. I've had them on my wish list for some time. Still thinking. 8)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The universal handguards off ebay (£10 or thereabouts) stop some of the wind but need an extra few inches on top and underneath to stop more wind (wondering how best to extend of fit something over them), but also just spotted these off the link PCX150Rider gave:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S1NDC9Y/re ... B001KOF05A
Wonder if they would fit or could be made to fit the PCX? (also only for sale in the US, but looking to see if anyone knows of someone using these?)
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

Seany, I have oxford heated grips and urban tucano bar muffs fitted to my PCX. I still use autumn gloves and my hands are fine in sub zero temps. Admittedly my commute is only 7 miles but the grips get too hot to hold unless you wear quite thick gloves, so I have to turn them down!

All in, grips and muffs make a huge difference to your hands. I locked the front brake up twice today (on grit, not ice) and was able to feel the lock and release it in enough time to stay on.