Top case suggestions

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jacito
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl White

Top case suggestions

Post by Jacito »

I recently installed the stock rear bracket (08L71-K35-J01) on the back of my scooter. I even went through the trouble of drilling the plastic cover. I purposely made the hole too small. I didn't want to crack the plastic. I reinstalled the cover and proceeded to use a sandpaper reamer attached to a cordless drill to make the holes larger. I used a spacer that was slightly larger than the post on the bracket to gauge the hole. Once all 4 holes were large enough, I bolted down the bracket. Of course, I destroyed the pearl white cover and had to replace it. Next mistake: I order the black one, not white. The black one looks good, but I may paint it flat black. Also, I did reorder 2 of the white covers yesterday.

Can anyone suggest a case (other than OEM) that will mount to the bracket?
Ride on and leave only tire tracks.
Jim

'15 Honda PCX 150
Pearl White
Motori Tec Inc. Performance Variator w/ 14g rollers
ContiScoot tires - safety recalled
Avon Viper tires
'08 Q'link Pegasus (traded in @ 12,000 miles)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Top case suggestions

Post by Mel46 »

A 2015 PCX?? I thought Honda had redesigned it so that there was no drilling Required? My 2013 model required drilling. I have a Givi tailbox. They have a lot of choices. Just try not to purchase one too large or it will look strange and bulky instead of flowing. Within the Givi brand there are two different lines of cases that would look nice on a PCX. If you purchase one that has the light assembly on the case you will need to attach the wiring or have someone do it for you, but it will give you more visibility. I added lights to mine for the reason.

There is also a company named Shad that has cases.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jacito

Post by Jacito »

If you want to keep a clean look, you need to keep the rear cover, which means drilling 4 holes. You could simply remove the cover and store it somewhere for safe keeping. I'll try to post a few pictures when I figure out how.
Jim

'15 Honda PCX 150
Pearl White
Avon Viper tires
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Givi brand has worked well for me. Mel suggested "Just try not to purchase one too large or it will look strange and bulky instead of flowing" - but my encouragement is to get one that's as big as you need (whatever that may be).

I got one of the larger ones (although not one of the VERY large ones) (I think mine was something like 25 or 27 litres, and the biggest was 45L, but don't quote me) - I keep a couple of resealable plastic boxes (first aid kit & box of misc stuff - swiss army knife, bit of cash, torch etc) - full rain gear - small 12V tyre pump - umbrella - tie-down strops - hat - few other things permanently in mine. Can get lunch in there in a 2L ice-cream container, but trying to get a 1.5L drink bottle in there as well is starting to push it. Helmet always goes under the seat. If I had to buy all over again I'd probably go even bigger. For me it's a case of "screw what it look like - it's all about functionality". As it stands if I park up and go for a walk I usually have to leave the least valuable thing on the ground beside the bike (usually 1.5L drink bottle) because Givi box and underseat is crammed with the above + helmet + riding jacket.
Jacito

Post by Jacito »

My intention is to put my full face helmet in it, along with a few other miscellaneous items. I want to mount to the Honda OEM rear mount, not replace it.
Jim

'15 Honda PCX 150
Pearl White
Avon Viper tires
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I prefer Shad boxes over Givi for one reason. With Givi once its closed its locked. Shad- open and close with the key or not. Makes Shad boxes more convenient for me.

I have a Shad SH33L it will hold a full face helmet and gloves and maybe a light weight jacket if you stuff it really really well. If I had to do it all over again I would get at least a 37L or even 40L to make helmet and jacket fit very easily in there.
:geek:
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I went with the Honda OEM rack and a 47 liter Bestem top box. The top box is a copy of an older Givi design. It's not the same quality as a Givi, but it works. The trunk fits loosely to its mounting plate, so that anoying. Only thing that I would do differently is to purchase an aftermarket rack instead of the Honda one. The wedge shape of the Honda rack causes the mounting plate of the trunk to wiggle itself loose.

Gil
Attachments
trunk.png
trunk.png (599.02 KiB) Viewed 998 times
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Jacito wrote:My intention is to put my full face helmet in it, along with a few other miscellaneous items. I want to mount to the Honda OEM rear mount, not replace it.
Pretty sure this is my one - 30L as it turned out. I wouldn't want to go any smaller - and would prefer larger if I bought again.

http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/givtbe300n.aspx

I know that you want to attach a box to the Honda mount, but since these are dirt cheap and come with the mount, why not just run with a new mount? (I'd be very surprised if any other manufacturer fitted the Honda mount, but I could be wrong).
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Size depends on what you want to carry. I went with a Givi 45 Litre because I wanted space for 2 helmets.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... and#p85116

The Honda rack only works with the Honda box.

Mine is a 2015. As you can see, once you install the mounting kit you really can't see the removed cover plate area.