Heated Grips

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX rider
Year: 2017
Color: Black

Heated Grips

Post by PCX rider »

Are the Oxford Heated grips easy to install by yourself? My Honda dealer are wanting to charge me £200 labour :-(
Plus which heated grips are better as the Oxford ones for "Scooter" only have 2 settings :(
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Heated Grips

Post by TheMaverick »

Tell you a true story ...

I got a pair of heated grips online from a Honda Dealer. I didn't fancy fitting them myself so I took them to an auto electrician - and they tried to charge me for 4.75 hours work (we eventually settled on 1.5) and I still had to re-glue them myself, have the metal stopper bits that go in the end machined down myself (grips were about 1/2 inch too long) - replace a connector they'd installed to stop water getting into it - and cut a cable tie to stop the cable failing due to insufficient play on the throttle side.

Lesson learned #1: Use a bike shop, not an auto electrician!

I was quite shocked by the original bill so I ran it past a couple of bike dealers - who were also shocked. One said "we usually give that job to the apprentice - takes about an hour" and the other said "even on the worst bike possible it shouldn't take more than 2 hours".

My grips have two settings: "Start" and "Run". An alternative label could well read "Too Hot" and "Not hot enough". In all seriousness, they're not bad - but the "start" position does get too hot to hold after about 10 minutes (through medium-heavy riding gloves). And if I start on the low setting it's about 20 minutes before I feel a mild warmth. They're not bad - I really like them - but if I had to buy heated grips again I'd go for some with 7 settings that are about the same price.

Lesson Learned #2: The more heat settings the better.

The important thing is to ensure they're on a switched supply so you don't flatten your battery because you WILL leave them switched on.

Hope this helps.
d.a.rous
Year: 2014 JF57(125)
Color: Carbonium Grey

Re: Heated Grips

Post by d.a.rous »

PCX rider wrote:Are the Oxford Heated grips easy to install by yourself?
Is not difficult
PCX rider wrote: Plus which heated grips are better as the Oxford ones for "Scooter" only have 2 settings :(
Buy better Oxford Touring, are very good. http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?p=106739#p106739
YSS G-Euro XL Red shock
Dr Pulley SR2015 13g sliders
Dr.Pulley SP2015-AK sliding pieces
SH Clutch (Facilitated)
Malossi Clutch Spring (Red)

High beam Passing (Flash)
Low beam switch (on/off)
Oxford HG "Touring"

Drive Belt Cover + Swingarm (Matt Black)
Michelin City Grip