National Cycle windshield

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

National Cycle windshield

Post by NADman »

Has anyone had any experience with this windshield?
They say it's 16.5 inches 'vertical' from top of stock headlight shroud.
I'm thinking it won't come near covering my face.
The Givi 323DT is only an extra $30.00 but with the weird shape, can it be cut down a few inches if needed?

https://fortnine.ca/en/national-cycle-r ... ted-n20052
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Re: National Cycle windshield

Post by gbru2505 »

THere's a conversation going on here:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 20#p120268
about the tall Givi on the PCX 125.

I've just had a D1130ST installed which goes to my chin. The problem is that you get lower pressure behind the screen, so air rushes in from the sides to fill the void, which causes loud buffeting against the helmet. Buffeting wind is much louder and has a physical, unsteady knocking quality to it that my ear plugs are now almost useless against when it is bad. I would now go for the smaller Givi aiming to lower the wind and rain on my midriff and chest, but leaving the air flow steadily over my helmet which I would tackle with earplugs. I ride all year though, so I'm leaving it on until next winter and I'll consider a better helmet and muffs in the meantime. I wear a flip up, open in summer, and it's catching the air really badly. I don't think a taller screen would be any better, There'd still be a vacuum drawing in buffeting/knocking air.
G'Bru
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

I have the Honda OEM "Tall" windshield and it measures 27" from bottom to top, and it looks shorter than the one in the NC photo.
I'm 5'9" and the Honda windshield comes up just below my eyes. Wind is a non-issue for me because I'm always wearing a full-face helmet.
As far as I know, only Honda and NC make their windshields out of polycarbonate. I wouldn't buy a windshield made from acrylic because it's not shatterproof. But that's me. :geek:
Try this link: https://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog/c ... ew/id/4528
It shows where they're measuring from.
Attachments
Honda OEM Tall windshield
Honda OEM Tall windshield
08r70k35j00.jpg (94.7 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Using NC's measuring method the Honda "Tall" windshield measures only 12" above the headlight shroud.

P.S. to the mods:
Is there any way to lengthen the edit time on posts? It's frustratingly short!
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Eiron wrote:I'm 5'9" and the Honda windshield comes up just below my eyes.
I was wrong on this. The Honda Tall windscreen comes up just below my nose, and the air coming off the top of the screen hits me right in the eyes. Sorry for the previous incorrect info. :oops:
The tall NC windscreen would've been a better choice for me if it had been available.
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

Eiron wrote:I have the Honda OEM "Tall" windshield and it measures 27"
Interesting photo. The Honda screen appears to mount very differently to my tall Givi. It looks like there is a deep gap across the entire base of the screen there for airflow (and pressure balance?). My tall Givi is fixed tight to the bodywork, with only a narrow gap the size of the bodywork recess at the lowest point. Would that be right - is the Honda screen mounted away from the bodywork for airflow?
G'Bru
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Yes, you're absolutely correct. My 2015 screen is shaped a bit differently from the one in the stock photo (the nose is rounded longer/closer to the bodywork), but there's 1/2" gap along the edges, a 3/4" gap lifted off the bodywork at the front, and 1" of reach/space from the lowest point of the screen to the contour cut in the bodywork.
Attachments
P6019990.JPG
P6019990.JPG (332.7 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
P6019994.JPG
P6019994.JPG (382.3 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

Thanks Eiron. Think I'll have to look at ways to remount my tall Givi to create more airflow behind the screen / balance the air pressure better and in the hope that it'd reduce buffeting I'm getting around the front of my helmet.
G'Bru
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by neb4152 »

I've had the National cycle screen on my 2013 model for about 3 years after I wrecked and broke my tall givi screen. I do like it. It is a bit shorter than the tallest givi screen but not much. I'm about 6ft tall and can see over the top. I'd guess the top of the screen comes to my chin. Air flow hits me right above the eyebrows. Like someone else said there is a fair amount of air turbulence around the screen and it does cause some noise, but not too much. The ride is much more comfortable at highway speeds. I don't feel like I'm being pushed off the bike at 60mph. The real difference between the taller givi and this screen is air flow. I got less air flow with the taller givi screen and on hot days I would get hotter while riding. It's a real balance of comfort preferences. The screen has held up well to bugs, rocks, and road dirt. It looks good and installs easily, although I did have to add some plastic washers to tighten down the screen on the bike. Otherwise it would have been a little loose and would have rattled in the wind. I've occasionally gone back to my original honda screen (no screen) and hate it. So any wind screen is better than none .
Attachments
20180610_122343.jpg
20180610_122343.jpg (154.62 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IvyGodivy
Year: TBD
Color: TBD

Post by IvyGodivy »

Anyone 6'2 and has the tall windshield? If yes does it cover you completely?
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

I just installed the National Cycle 'tall' windshield but only have a couple of miles on it.
I'm 5'11" and while riding I see over it to about 25 ft in front of me. Has the 'curls' on each side
and there quite a bit of room for airflow at the bottom front.
Will give another evaluation when Dr. says its OK to ride.
Attachments
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0735.JPG (87.32 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG (85.4 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Post by Testerpt5 »

I am 5' 9 (180cm) and I have the tall windshield, the only complai t is that is still not tall enough, a few more cm and I would not get wind into the helmet and consequent noise, other than that I amvery happy specially in rainy days, bugs and very hot days, the other day was 45.5°C (114°F) and it really helped!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have the tallest Givi windshield for my year-model and i see over the top of it, just barely. I am 5 ft. 10 in.
For that particular model Givi part no. 323dt here is the description.

The GIVI 323DT is a taller clear windscreen for the Honda PCX 125 and PCX 150 scooters (2010-2013). This replacement windshield is 32.2 inches high and 22.8 inches wide. The 323DT is approximately 16 inches taller than the stock wind shield.

Keeping that in mind, the tall Givi for the newer PCX is 32.1" H x 21.7" W
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Testerpt5

Post by Testerpt5 »

I am considering getting a spoiler for the windshield, but I am afraid the givi windshield might break due to the extra weight from the spoiler, for those who dont have the Givi tall windshield at speeds higher than 60mph (100kmh) the top of the windshield bends quite a bit, in the beggining I thought it was going to break.
Testerpt5

Post by Testerpt5 »

Forgot to add the while going at 60mph the noise inside the helmet is considerable, and decided to test and see what would happen if I put my hand sideway on top of the windshield, the sound was greatly reduced, thus the interest in the extra spoiler.