powder coating

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

powder coating

Post by pcx888 »

Has anyone here powder coated their rims? I want to get either red or white color. Any suggestions?
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: powder coating

Post by gn2 »

Better to get them sprayed.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Better to get them sprayed.

Why?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Any number of reasons.
Here's a few off the top of my head: better finish, easier to sort chips and scratches, easier to clean, you can do it yourself for much cheapness.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

gn2 wrote:Any number of reasons.
Here's a few off the top of my head: better finish, easier to sort chips and scratches, easier to clean, you can do it yourself for much cheapness.
Not my experience at all. Having done both, here's my observation:
1. Powder coat is harder and just as true and color so I have no idea what you mean by better finish
2. Powder coat scratches way less, is far harder, wheels specially hold up well versus paint.
3. Easier to clean? No idea what you mean there, both are hard gloss, so they clean the same way
4. Paint is cheaper, I agree

There is a reason boat manufacturers use powder coat on their bright work, and all outdoor patio manufacturers. Powder coat just does not scratch anywhere near as bad, especially anywhere that takes debris hits like wheels.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Any number of reasons.

Same finish especially on a casting
More durable so unlikely to chip or scratch
No difference in cleaning.

Yes it's more expensive than a rattle can, for a reason.

For me the advantage of a rattle can, apart from the cost, is the fact you don't have to remove any wheel bearings.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Um, funny no one mentions the danger of allowing someone other than the original maker to heat and cool your spokes molecular structure on a motorbike. This is the main reason I haven't done it already. Cars are one thing and there's plenty of YT videos of broken wheels but all survived the experience. Any pot hole might be your last and that will be on your mind when riding. Sorry I had to say, no surprises when it comes to motorbikes we have enough already to deal with. I want to do this too but just can't ride with it on my mind.

I would take note if the company didn't mention their processes in detail to ease your mind. We have a variable against us with PCX. The smaller wheel the greater impact. Get a reputable company and be involved as much as they will let you. Your life, your bike. They must respect that or let them go and move on. Show your results please... go white!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

homie wrote:Um, funny no one mentions the danger of allowing someone other than the original maker to heat and cool your spokes molecular structure on a motorbike. This is the main reason I haven't done it already. Cars are one thing and there's plenty of YT videos of broken wheels but all survived the experience. Any pot hole might be your last and that will be on your mind when riding. Sorry I had to say, no surprises when it comes to motorbikes we have enough already to deal with. I want to do this too but just can't ride with it on my mind.

I would take note if the company didn't mention their processes in detail to ease your mind. We have a variable against us with PCX. The smaller wheel the greater impact. Get a reputable company and be involved as much as they will let you. Your life, your bike. They must respect that or let them go and move on. Show your results please... go white!
This is the way it USED to be, when they heated the hell out of the rIm, now the new powder coats take much less temperature to spread and cure. And there is no problem. Check with a premium powder coder for more information on this but I've been told this by two different powder coder's, also Forge line, which is a premier racing wheel for many pro championship teams, are clear gloss powder coated from the factory.

https://learn.prismaticpowders.com/hc/e ... num-Wheels
Glen
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

hehe... clear gloss powder coating, not much point to pay for that. This is good news about low temp procedures Jge64. One might get some maximum allowable numbers and take those with you to the premium powder coater. The two places I checked into last time I got the bug didn't pass my spidy senses. I just can't do it until I see a new shop open in the Chicago area. I would love to do all my motorbikes in a fresh new white powdercoat someday.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Clear gloss PC protects better than any paint, thats why they do it.....
Glen