Oxford Heated Grips

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Re: Oxford Heated Grips

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

you you wrote:They are excellent. Get the ordinary motorcycle ones rather than the dedicated scooter ones....
Are the grips hard or soft? I've put heated grips on ATVs for other people and the hard plastic is very annoying if they have a buzzy machine, and offers no impact resistance.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:
you you wrote:They are excellent. Get the ordinary motorcycle ones rather than the dedicated scooter ones....
Are the grips hard or soft? I've put heated grips on ATVs for other people and the hard plastic is very annoying if they have a buzzy machine, and offers no impact resistance.

Lovely and soft.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Bumping...
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/ currently have some of the Oxford range of headed grips down from £79 to under £50 delivered.
Lazelod
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Lazelod »

mowzertron wrote:I fitted them myself. A few tips (learnt through mistakes).

1. Check you can get the bar ends off. If you struggle get an impact driver from Halfords. I nearly rounded the screws before getting an impact driver. The screws are secured with locktite so not easy to remove.
Hello all, been lurking for awhile and this will be my first post. I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my experience with removing the bar ends with the hope it may help a fellow rider out later on.

I was installing heated grips on my V-strom last weekend, and I recalled this discussion about the difficulties of getting the end weights off on this forum. What I learned working on my VStrom, and I also tested it on my wife’s 2013 pcx 150 with good results.

1) it is not necessary to use a screwdriver to brawl loose the bar ends. Instead, grab the bar end itself, grip it hard by hand and give it a quick tug counter clockwise. Just like you would open a tight cap on a bottle of soda. The screw will turn with the bar end and it will pop as it breaks the loc-tite, then it can be easily unscrewed with a screwdriver. This worked on my bike and worked on the pcx.

2) I’ve been riding and wrenching on my bikes for over 30 years, and never knew until recently that the metric bikes do not use the same Phillips heads that we see in the states. I always chaulked up the rounding out of screws to soft metal, but that’s not necessarily the case. I purchased some JIC (Japanese Industrial StandardJ screwdrivers in #1 & #2 size and haven’t had a problem with them slipping since. While the Phillips work most of the time without issue, if you compare the Phillips and JIC, it’s evident that the angle of the x section is slightly different. I may be preaching to the choir on this one, but it was new to me so I thought it was worth mentioning.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Lazelod wrote:

1. Check you can get the bar ends off. If you struggle get an impact driver from Halfords. I nearly rounded the screws before getting an impact driver. The screws are secured with locktite so not easy to remove.
Hello all, been lurking for awhile and this will be my first post. I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my experience with removing the bar ends with the hope it may help a fellow rider out later on.

I was installing heated grips on my V-strom last weekend, and I recalled this discussion about the difficulties of getting the end weights off on this forum. What I learned working on my VStrom, and I also tested it on my wife’s 2013 pcx 150 with good results.

1) it is not necessary to use a screwdriver to brawl loose the bar ends. Instead, grab the bar end itself, grip it hard by hand and give it a quick tug counter clockwise. Just like you would open a tight cap on a bottle of soda. The screw will turn with the bar end and it will pop as it breaks the loc-tite, then it can be easily unscrewed with a screwdriver. This worked on my bike and worked on the pcx.

2) I’ve been riding and wrenching on my bikes for over 30 years, and never knew until recently that the metric bikes do not use the same Phillips heads that we see in the states. I always chaulked up the rounding out of screws to soft metal, but that’s not necessarily the case. I purchased some JIC (Japanese Industrial StandardJ screwdrivers in #1 & #2 size and haven’t had a problem with them slipping since. While the Phillips work most of the time without issue, if you compare the Phillips and JIC, it’s evident that the angle of the x section is slightly different. I may be preaching to the choir on this one, but it was new to me so I thought it was worth mentioning.

I cant remember correctly but I think the PCXs bar weights are pegged at the internal end so cant be twisted off?
Lazelod
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Lazelod »

Hello all, been lurking for a while and this will be my first post. I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my experience with removing the bar ends with the hope it may kelp a fellow rider out later on.

I was installing heated grips on my V-strom last weekend, and I recalled this discussion about the difficulties if getting the end weights off on this forum. What I learned worked on my VStrom, and I also tested it on my wife’s 2013 pcx 150 with good results.

1) it is not necessary to use a screwdriver to brawl loose the bar ends. Instead, grab the bar end itself, grip it hard by hand and give it a quick tug counter clockwise. Just like you would open a tight cap on a bottle of soda. The screw will turn with the bar end and itwill pop as it breaks the loc-tite then it can be easily unscrewed with screwdriver. Worked on my bike and worked on the pcx.

2) I’ve been riding and wrenching on my bikes for over 30 years, and never knew until recently that the metric bikes do not use the same Phillips heads that we see in the states I always chaulked up the rounding out of screws to soft metal, but that’s not necessarily the case. I purchased some JIC (Japanese Industrial StandardJ screwdrivers in #1 & #2 size and haven’t had a problem with them slipping since. While the Phillips work most of the time without issue, if you compare the Phillips and JIC, it’s evident that the angle of the x section is slightly different. I may be preaching to the choir on this one, but it was new to me so I thought it was worth mentioning.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Twisted screw bits trying to break the loctite, but what worked for me is drilling the screws out with a few sizes of drill bit ending with 6mm - screws got very hot which melted the loctite and then I replace the screws with allen headed bolts.