The Honda PCX / Honda Forza Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza 300. Now featuring a Forza 125 subforum!
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
Year: 2017
Color: Black
Has anyone tried to fit the Oxford Heated Grips to their PCX scooter? If so was it easy? My Honda dealer is wanting to charge me £200 for labour :-( and the grips are only £39.00 from Halfords...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am 
Offline
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:15 pm
Posts: 6275
Location: L o n g Island NY
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*
Hi and welcome to our forum(s) PCX rider :P
Before we move onward would you do us All a favor and enter your location to your profile? You would be surprised at how a bit of information like that will help us to help you. I have easy directions below my post to get yours entered.
Thanks!

_________________
<<< LOCATION! Year & Color Please enter Yours today!
To enter your location and other: Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of this page). Upon arrival, click Profile in left column. See the questions? Please Complete. Tis Simple. We Thank You Much (o;

"Miles From Nowhere, I Guess I'll Take My Time...Ohh yeah" Cat Stevens


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
Year: 2017
Color: Black
Hi, sorry. I'm new to this and it's my first posts lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:54 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7489
Location: The centre of the universe
They are excellent. Get the ordinary motorcycle ones rather than the dedicated scooter ones.

It's a bout an hour job if you take it slowly and methodically. About a 2/10 in terms of difficulty if you are reasonably good at spannering.

If you are not then you might have to pay the £200 or look for alternatives. Mates? Local small scooter shop?

_________________
I'm actually a nice guy and can behave :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:10 am 
Offline
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:15 pm
Posts: 6275
Location: L o n g Island NY
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*
PCX rider wrote:
Hi, sorry. I'm new to this and it's my first posts lol.

Not a problem ;) Appreciate your quick response, thank you :P
I'm thinking that You're going to Love having heated grips! Go for it!!

_________________
<<< LOCATION! Year & Color Please enter Yours today!
To enter your location and other: Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of this page). Upon arrival, click Profile in left column. See the questions? Please Complete. Tis Simple. We Thank You Much (o;

"Miles From Nowhere, I Guess I'll Take My Time...Ohh yeah" Cat Stevens


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:05 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:00 pm
Posts: 28
Year: 2016
Color: black
I paid £150 for grips and installation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
Year: 2017
Color: Black
Duke82 wrote:
I paid £150 for grips and installation


Hi, where abouts? Was it a Honda Dealer?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:06 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am
Posts: 8
Location: London, UK
Year: 2017
Color: Black
you you wrote:
They are excellent. Get the ordinary motorcycle ones rather than the dedicated scooter ones.

It's a bout an hour job if you take it slowly and methodically. About a 2/10 in terms of difficulty if you are reasonably good at spannering.

If you are not then you might have to pay the £200 or look for alternatives. Mates? Local small scooter shop?


Thanks for this info - really helpful and I think I will give it a go with a friend of mine who is handy at logical thinking and has a lot of patience! lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:28 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
Get variable temperature grips, you will thank me later.

Gil

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:44 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7489
Location: The centre of the universe
PCX rider wrote:
you you wrote:
They are excellent. Get the ordinary motorcycle ones rather than the dedicated scooter ones.

It's a bout an hour job if you take it slowly and methodically. About a 2/10 in terms of difficulty if you are reasonably good at spannering.

If you are not then you might have to pay the £200 or look for alternatives. Mates? Local small scooter shop?


Thanks for this info - really helpful and I think I will give it a go with a friend of mine who is handy at logical thinking and has a lot of patience! lol



Pleasure. Make sure you have a sharp knife to remove the ridges on the throttle drum. Also shock the thread lock on the bar ends free by giving the screwdriver a sharp whack or using an impact driver.

_________________
I'm actually a nice guy and can behave :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:54 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Yorkshire, England
Year: 2014
Color: Brown
I fitted them myself. A few tips (learnt through mistakes).

1. Check you can get the bar ends off. If you struggle get an impact driver from Halfords. I nearly rounded the screws before getting an impact driver. The screws are secured with locktite so not easy to remove

2. Use a stanley knife to remove the old grips, you will then have to shave some of the plastic off the handlebars underneath where the old grips were (the new heated grips will not slide over at the bar ends until you have shaved some plastic off). Make sure you shave plastic off on the inside too of the handle too, so that the grips slide all the way on. Don't apply the glue until you're sure.

3. I removed the seat, grab rail and underseat luggage box for better access when wiring. The most annoying part was getting the wire that feeds from the battery to the front of the bike, without removing all the fairings (you could remove all fairings but I couldn't be bothered as it takes too long). I used a wire coat hanger, attached one end of the cable the the wire with tape and fed it through the gap behind the forks (above the black splash guard). Managed to get it to pop out at other end near enough the battery.


£200 is obscene. So is £150. I am desk jockey who is useless at manual stuff and I still managed to fit them. There's some good videos on Youtube that, while not PCX specific, still give an idea how to remove old grips, shave handles etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:27 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7489
Location: The centre of the universe
mowzertron wrote:
I fitted them myself. A few tips (learnt through mistakes).

1. Check you can get the bar ends off. If you struggle get an impact driver from Halfords. I nearly rounded the screws before getting an impact driver. The screws are secured with locktite so not easy to remove

2. Use a stanley knife to remove the old grips, you will then have to shave some of the plastic off the handlebars underneath where the old grips were (the new heated grips will not slide over at the bar ends until you have shaved some plastic off). Make sure you shave plastic off on the inside too of the handle too, so that the grips slide all the way on. Don't apply the glue until you're sure.

3. I removed the seat, grab rail and underseat luggage box for better access when wiring. The most annoying part was getting the wire that feeds from the battery to the front of the bike, without removing all the fairings (you could remove all fairings but I couldn't be bothered as it takes too long). I used a wire coat hanger, attached one end of the cable the the wire with tape and fed it through the gap behind the forks (above the black splash guard). Managed to get it to pop out at other end near enough the battery.


£200 is obscene. So is £150. I am desk jockey who is useless at manual stuff and I still managed to fit them. There's some good videos on Youtube that, while not PCX specific, still give an idea how to remove old grips, shave handles etc.



Good advice.

For the wiring I just picked up a switched live from under the front cowling. Less plastic to remove that way.

_________________
I'm actually a nice guy and can behave :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:33 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 238
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
mowzertron wrote:
£200 is obscene. So is £150. I am desk jockey who is useless at manual stuff and I still managed to fit them. There's some good videos on Youtube that, while not PCX specific, still give an idea how to remove old grips, shave handles etc.


For what it's worth, here's the "business end" of the invoice they tried to sting me with (in NZ Dollars):

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7489
Location: The centre of the universe
TheMaverick wrote:
mowzertron wrote:
£200 is obscene. So is £150. I am desk jockey who is useless at manual stuff and I still managed to fit them. There's some good videos on Youtube that, while not PCX specific, still give an idea how to remove old grips, shave handles etc.


For what it's worth, here's the "business end" of the invoice they tried to sting me with (in NZ Dollars):

Image


Just for fitting grips?

_________________
I'm actually a nice guy and can behave :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 pm 
Offline
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:45 am
Posts: 466
Location: Brisbane, Qld. Australia
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red
They are Kiwis :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sort of like a cousin joke :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:25 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 238
Location: New Zealand
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
you you wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
mowzertron wrote:
£200 is obscene. So is £150. I am desk jockey who is useless at manual stuff and I still managed to fit them. There's some good videos on Youtube that, while not PCX specific, still give an idea how to remove old grips, shave handles etc.


For what it's worth, here's the "business end" of the invoice they tried to sting me with (in NZ Dollars):

Image


Just for fitting grips?


Yes. I made the mistake of taking them to an auto electrician instead of a bike shop. They eventually dropped the labour to 1.5 hours after I challenged the time with quotes from 2 dealers. On this occasion the auto electrician was just out of his depth.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Like what you see here? Buy the admin a beer! Donate at the link below:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!