Achieving a goal without knowing what you're doing...

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Achieving a goal without knowing what you're doing...

Post by Ishkabibble »

One doesn't need to know what one is doing, in order to accomplish something. :P

As the pieces come together, the thread will be filled in...
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Achieving a goal without knowing what you're doing...

Post by Mel46 »

...so are you putting it together or taking it apart?? You may be taking it apart when you should be putting it together. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Mel46 wrote:...so are you putting it together or taking it apart?? You may be taking it apart when you should be putting it together. :-/
Without getting too much ahead of myself, I'll be doing a little bit of both.

I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches on the workbench in the Lair, which will allow me to build the vacuum-former, (I'll actually have a place to put it!) and then once I have that, I can start adding in all the mods I've wanted to make since day 1.

Some of them, I hope, are going to be pretty good, and I really hope they amaze everyone with the ingenuity and resourcefulness that went into them.

Who am I kidding? Most of you guys are going to be scratching your heads wondering why in the hell I did what I did.

:lol:
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

I've been doing carmon and corbon-kevlar stuff back in time while I was still racing. In fact i have covered most of the cost of racing from producing stuff and building racebikes for others.
Be careful with those chemical vapors. They can het you very sick in no time.
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Oyabun wrote:I've been doing carmon and corbon-kevlar stuff back in time while I was still racing. In fact i have covered most of the cost of racing from producing stuff and building racebikes for others. Be careful with those chemical vapors. They can het you very sick in no time.
No "chemical vapors" here! I'm vacuum forming. Not resin-molding.

https://youtu.be/zLFpoiR7ouE

My rig is different from this guy's, in that mine is inline, and self-contained. I won't have to pick up and move my platen.

Once I get the thing built, I'll post a how-to.

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Fancy. ...and I have to do things the old fashion way. Oh well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

I always say, do what works.

I must have some condition that forces me to do strange things like this. I think the building of these things is more fun than actually using them or something.

I don't really know if my plan for the use of this vacuum-forming machine will work or not, but if it does turn out the way I plan, it will be pretty awesome. I think.

That flasher relay I found seems to be the one thing that was questionable in terms of how I wish to implement the overall plan. I hope it works.

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Looking forward to it
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

This was my very first factory job for Gott Coolers :) A big carousel vacuum former to make the beer coolers inner and outer plastic shells... then I would send them on down the line for foam filling. Fun as hell !!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:This was my very first factory job for Gott Coolers :) A big carousel vacuum former to make the beer coolers inner and outer plastic shells... then I would send them on down the line for foam filling. Fun as hell !!!

Living the life..
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

I am pleased to report that the first part of this initial project has been an unqualified success.

The first thing I'm doing is mounting a set of running lights in the place of the reflectors on the front and rear of Natasha. (Photo 1)

The running lights look like these, and they put out a fair bit of light for their size. (Photo 2)

What I couldn't do is mount them directly. There is a single hole where the round reflectors mount, and there are two smaller holes on the running lights. So, I needed to have some kind of bracket to mate the two together.

The design I came up with had two flat parts to which the lights could mount, and a recessed center section to be mounted where the reflector goes. (Photo 3)

This is the part where I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, or how I wanted/needed to do it. A search of the net for an appropriate bracket turned up nothing suitable, so my mind went to work.

Aluminium came to mind. Let me explain. I am a big fan of the Canadian TV show, "How It's Made" and I love watching manufacturing processes. a recent episode on snowblowers came to mind. They cut these steel pieces, put them in a press, and out came the augers for moving the snow. Why couldn't I figure out something similar?

A trip to a local metalworking shop (on Natasha of course) and I explained my project to the owner. Showed him where on the bike the lights were going to go, showed him the lights, answered a bunch of questions about Natasha, and he gave me six strips of .060 aluminium for me to play with, out of his scrap bin. First part of the project complete, at no cost to me.

Thinking about how I was going to make the brackets with these strips, gave me the idea of cutting up a block of maple wood I happened to have, and I was talking to a neighbor yesterday about my inability to find any woodworkers in the area. He said he had a bandsaw and router table, and if I wanted to use them I could. So, I took my maple pieces over there today, cut them to the shape I needed, and voila! Press blocks. Total cost to me: 1 six-pack of his favorite suds.

The press blocks look like this (Photo 4)

Here is how the process works (Photos 5 - 7)

Again, total cost to me, 1 six-pack of beer.

And now I have my brackets, which will only need a bit of shaping on the grinding wheel, the proper sized holes drilled in the proper positions, a coat of spray enamel and the running lights are ready to mount.

And I had no clue what I was doing, or how I was going to do it.

Mission Accomplished.
Attachments
Photo 7. Bracket shaped.
Photo 7. Bracket shaped.
165416.png (930.27 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Photo 6. Squeezed in vise.
Photo 6. Squeezed in vise.
165403.png (950.8 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Photo 5. Step 1
Photo 5. Step 1
165345.png (910.53 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Photo 4. Press Blocks.
Photo 4. Press Blocks.
165319.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2205 times
Photo 3. Bracket design
Photo 3. Bracket design
bracket2.png (216.36 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Photo 2 Running lights
Photo 2 Running lights
runlight.png (101.62 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Photo 1. Reflector location
Photo 1. Reflector location
flect.png (206.19 KiB) Viewed 2205 times

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

An update...

I've finished the brackets project, and I have to say, they turned out exactly the way I had envisioned.

Here are a couple of photos to show what the new running lights with bracket, look like.

When I get a chance to put them on, I'll start a thread on the project.
Attachments
161221.png
161221.png (967.45 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
161208.png
161208.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2187 times

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Oh, so you are doing things the 'proper' way. When I get an idea I just start bending and cutting and drilling until presto, whatever it is that I thought up works! It may not look like the best piece of work a manufacturer can put out, but it works. I get all sorts of fun ideas in lighting and I just go for it. I had an SUV that had reflectors under the back bumper. I turned those into extra lights. I had extra side reflectors. I turned those into rear side turn signals. I just can't leave well enough alone.
I applaud you for doing it the proper way. It will look great when you finish.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Mel: Thank you. A compliment from you goes a long way to puffing up my ego. :)

I'm just not really sure what you mean by the "proper way"

I just wanted it to look like it's supposed to be that way, and not make it look owner-rigged. As Honda might have done it, if they'd thought of it.

If you think this was good, wait until you see what I've done to the reflector you sent me. Man, that thing is going to be bright! and look OEM too.

I just have to pick up some more heatshrink tubing, and I'll be good to go. I think installations of these new lights should start any day now. As soon as I finish that %#@*!&^ workbench top...

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

ISH! I AM VERY EXCITED! I'M DIGGING ALL YER PLANNED STUFF!
Genius onboard! Yes, Ish You!
Look at that wood mold! Stuff From scratch, I calls it.

You work like my Dad (rip). He taught me, "Do It Right the First Time and Not Again. That allows you to move onto your next project."

Now you could calls that proper or whatever,...but it's the way I'm living loving and fixing my ways through this life.
Worked for Dad....Works for Me!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (28.4 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
Please continue "Showing and Telling" as you move along Ish. Me?... I'll be following ;)
Wahoo! More to come!
(Told you I was Excited :oops: )
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

..and THAT is what I mean be proper. Mine may work but it may not look pretty. When it comes to looking like it was a factory install, yours will top the list. Very nice job!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Mel, you Rock! I dig All your stuff too! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

WhiteNoise wrote:ISH! I AM VERY EXCITED! I'M DIGGING ALL YER PLANNED STUFF!
Genius onboard! Yes, Ish You!
Look at that wood mold! Stuff From scratch, I calls it.

You work like my Dad (rip). He taught me, "Do It Right the First Time and Not Again. That allows you to move onto your next project."

Now you could calls that proper or whatever,...but it's the way I'm living loving and fixing my ways through this life.
Worked for Dad....Works for Me!
image.jpeg
Please continue "Showing and Telling" as you move along Ish. Me?... I'll be following ;)
Wahoo! More to come!
(Told you I was Excited :oops: )
WhiteNoise you're a Gem, I love your posts..LMAO Keep em' coming
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Looks good. Are you still going to do some vacuum forming?
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Wow guys... You really know how to make an old tinkerer feel good.

Mel, I deeply appreciate your comments and advice. My dad once told me (among the other innumerable gems he's passed along) "If you aim small, you're going to hit small" It was years before I understood what that meant. My take is, if you plan on accomplishing a goal, make sure that you are specific and precise, that way your results will be specific and precise. Apparently, your dad and my dad read the same "dad books"...

WhiteNoise, I thank you for the grand encomium. Yes, I have many other projects in mind, up to and including an attempt to make my own LED Turn Signal Mirrors. That's where the vacuum-forming is going to come into play, because I'll have to make "skins" for the backs of the mirrors to make the wiring be hidden. I want them to look as OEM as I can get them, without having to build or cannibalize a whole set of mirrors. Ooops, I'm giving myself away. Heh...

I'm going to attempt dem0nk1d's installation of turn signals in the existing US headlight assembly (I was going to put DRLs there until I found some that I think are better than my planned ones) and I would really like to upgrade the rest of my lighting, including headlights. I've posted some links to some of the HS5 bulbs I'm looking at, as well as found a flasher relay, and that little thingy that is supposed to make my brake light flash before going steady.

I do have some frustrations at the moment, not the least of which is, I can't seem to make the time, or get away long enough to go buy the damn plywood to make the decking for the benchtop in the lair. Without that, I can't go any farther with my plans. I don't have a surface to work on. I have no place to put tools down, no place to put the former once I build it, and no place to lay parts while I'm working on other parts. That's holding everything up. I'm afraid I'm just going to have to say "to hell with it" and go buy plywood one day whether I have other things to do or not.

I'll keep things coming as long as I have things to work on.