Missing stock tool kit. Worth it to purchase? Or make own?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Missing stock tool kit. Worth it to purchase? Or make own?

Post by grndslm »

Scooter came without tool kit (including wire! what's that for again?)...

Should I try to locate an overpriced toolkit on ebay?

Or should I just make up with my own toolkit?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Missing stock tool kit. Worth it to purchase? Or make o

Post by chicaboo »

The only real useful thing in the toolkit is the sparkplug tool. I don't know how generic it is, but you will need the correct one if doing your own servicing.
The wire is for running through the DD ring of your helmet strap to secure it to the hook on the left side of the scoot near the seat hinge.
You can easily obtain an "owner's" manual (with service intervals) for the US market off this website somewhere, or anywhere quite easily...
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Re: Missing stock tool kit. Worth it to purchase? Or make o

Post by Smaug »

(bumping this old thread to show I've done my homework first)

The sparkplug socket in the OEM tool kit seems to be worth paying top Honda dollar for. (it was on my Silverwing) It's like it was custom-designed to be the only one that would fit in the sparkplug well.

Thinking about the helmet leash, but one of my helmets has the click-type closure, rather than D-ring. Does anyone else have one of these, and if so, how do you attach it to your bike without taking up the whole trunk? I'm thinking maybe a small cable lock for both helmets that will go through a wheel or something.

Other compact tools worth having along: (again, that won't take up a significant portion of the trunk)
  • Hex key set. Will one of those fold-up jobbies do, or should I just have discrete allen keys? Which sizes?
  • 12 and 14 mm hex wrenches, will that be enough? I was thinking of adding an adjustable wrench...
  • Pliers-based multi-tool (ex. Leatherman, SwissTool, Gerber)
  • Zip ties (great idea) and a small amount of duct tape
  • Tire plug kit and pump or CO2 inflator
  • 6-in-1 screwdriver
-Jeremy