GoPro, the Best Game in Town?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

GoPro, the Best Game in Town?

Post by Rick54 »

Was thinking of getting a GoPro strictly for an incident camera on my PCX. In looking at all the reviews for the GoPro cameras on Amazon, it appears there are a lot of problems with these cameras. Not sure I'm willing to pay that kind of money just to purchase problems! Any of you folks using cameras other than the GoPro brand that you are very happy with? Name, model, best source to buy from?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: GoPro, the Best Game in Town?

Post by WhiteNoise »

No camera here yet, but several member's are using (or have used) the Mobius action camera's.
If homie stops in, he'll probably tell you about his. Hang on :P
Oh! Also feel free to click the search button up above if you want lots more info, "right here, right now!"
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Rick54 wrote:Was thinking of getting a GoPro strictly for an incident camera on my PCX. In looking at all the reviews for the GoPro cameras on Amazon, it appears there are a lot of problems with these cameras. Not sure I'm willing to pay that kind of money just to purchase problems! Any of you folks using cameras other than the GoPro brand that you are very happy with? Name, model, best source to buy from?
For monitoring traffic and recording idiots as well a thousand other situations the 100 dollar mobius action cam with all its accessories can't be beat. I have other crappy cams for less money but this is my third mobius because i put them in harms way and give them to family members when upgrades come out. Excellent HD video quality and choice of lenses, plenty of record time, looping if your card is to small. Fabulous and easy software with some of the coolest options including 3-5-10 minute or continuous recording. Tiny little palm size weighs nothing suitable for model aircraft or even on the back of a pigeon. I've filmed nests a foot away with motion sensor activation, caught mice at night in the house and identified skunks under the front porch. People don't have a clue you are filming and the microphone is capable of picking up everything.

However there is no way to motor around in your helmet and talk (the mic's on the cam) but you can stick it to your helmet and it sees everything you see, Works great on big bikes but not on the scooters because of excessive vibration... you need Go-pro for these capabilities.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9 ... UTF8&psc=1
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

Thanks Homie for your insight. I hated to hear that for the scooter I'd have to go to the GoPro products, $$$. You mentioned "options including 3-5-10 minute or continuous recording." which I believe relates to the looping option. For example, set at 10 minutes, means that at the end of every ten minutes, the camera records over the previous 10 minutes? Thus using only a 10 minute worth of SD card? Continuous, I suppose means until the SD card is full? Then does it stop recording, or goes back to the beginning of the SD card and records over the previous recording?
So in the case of an "incident," at lets say an intersection, unless your alert, and able to immediately stop the recording in order to preserve that recorded incident, it may continue recording on the current 10 minutes (if the camera is set at 10 minute recordings). Then when it comes to the end of that 10 minute segment which contains the incident, it starts over recording a new 10 minute segment covering up the incident. If such is the case, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of incident recording doesn't it, if you're not able to stop the recording in time?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Rick54 wrote:You mentioned "options including 3-5-10 minute or continuous recording." which I believe relates to the looping option. For example, set at 10 minutes, means that at the end of every ten minutes, the camera records over the previous 10 minutes?

Thus using only a 10 minute worth of SD card? Continuous, I suppose means until the SD card is full? Then does it stop recording, or goes back to the beginning of the SD card and records over the previous recording?
3-5-10 min segments, it doesn't shut off. Makes faster upload time if you can just grab and edit the segments you want with for example... youtube editor. If you buy that 32gig card offer with Amazon you will have plenty of record time between charges. I start the camera, preset to the choice of wide angle 1080p with 3min segments and forget about it. If I'm in an accident there will not be anyone distorting the truth (including me) :lol:

But you will have to mount the mobius on your chest or helmet only, your body is the perfect stabilizer. No where on the PCX will you find vibration to be acceptable to any cam without stabilizing capabilities.

You make good point about continuous loop, if you are incapacitated it would be overwritten when the card was full. i will be turning that feature off now or buying 64gig card because the battery would drain before card filled :lol: Thanks for the heads up on incapacitated rider accident camera record fail.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You don't get the memory card with this package but that suction mount comes in very handy and the price is still under 100.00
https://www.amazon.com/Angle-Mobius-Act ... +HD+Camera

My choice is this package, and the C2 lens is most practical not the C3 super wide angle dedicated lens. By the way it won't accept a 64gig card so I would turn off the looping when card full feature from the user friendly software downladable online only. https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/downloads-info/

https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-ActionCam ... m+1080p+HD
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

Homie, I opened your first choice on Amazon (the $99 camera) can you tell me what the cord is going from the camera? I was hoping this was battery operated? Also, in regards to the suction cup, are you using this on the windshield so that the camera is looking through the windshield? Any problems with the suction cup holding the camera on?

On your second choice ($135 camera) are you again using the suction cup to mount the camera? Does it come with the camera when ordered?

Any vibration problems when using the suction cup?

Thanks
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

It connects with a fire wire (the cord) via USB to your computer so you can playback your video and save what segments you filmed to your hard drive. This cord also charges the internal L-ion battery. In addition with that fire wire and the software from the website link I provided you get full access to the programmable features and can set parameters over the Mobius action cam.

The suction cup mount is just a quick way to temporarily mount to smooth surfaces not something I would trust to ride with. Rather use the 3m taped mount bases for various adapters to helmet or in my case stick to airbox on my Buell.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

There are plenty of options to a GoPro without the premium. I have a toshiba. Good enough and I won't cry if it gets lost or damaged.

Good underwater pool video for the kids/grandkids
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I might look at Go-Pro again, its been a while. You do get good editing software with GP I hear and the microphone boom inside the helmet eliminates wind distortion. The two action cams are serving two different audiences, you need to know which one you will become but the cost variance is drastic last I checked and not caring to chat when driving plus I have lost at one cam out there already. The little Mobius has its appeal but don't go totally cheap and buy those barrel shaped Sport DV cams. I had one of those given to me. Piece of crap resolution Chinese knockoffs.... check the reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIuzZCGAlfs
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Indoor quality isn't too bad either for such a tiny camera. Make sure youtube's little cogged wheel in the bottom right corner is set to Auto or 1080p HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtuGCx2G2HQ
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

homie wrote:Indoor quality isn't too bad either for such a tiny camera. Make sure youtube's little cogged wheel in the bottom right corner is set to Auto or 1080p HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtuGCx2G2HQ
Poor puppy was worried you were touch it's balls.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

He has always had a passion for his balls... and squirrels
only I can get that close, and notice I didn't come away with one
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

homie wrote:...and notice I didn't come away with one
o_O And I thought my cat was savage... :lol:
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I've a Hero 3 Silver, for the money they still cost to buy you can get a Mobius or perhaps take a look at one of these :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28k7uBDojb8

A user who used to be on here, used a Sony which she had great success with.
aka DrewJW
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

I think my ideal set-up would be a Mobius camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9 ... UTF8&psc=1 and mounted with a RAM mount claw, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQNRTDI/re ... 4JRGW5BT80
Unfortunately, I don’t think the two are compatible. I like the claw mount as it doesn’t go all the way around the handlebar. As I think I only have ¼” clearance at the bottom of the handlebar.
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Anyone using a Contour 3?