Rear ended, mud guard suggestions

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Rear ended, mud guard suggestions

Post by alx123 »

Whats the chance of you getting rear ended running 20kph (14mph) in a small street in Bangkok?

With the way Thais tailgates and ride, it's a big possibility here in Bangkok. Unbelievable, the guy just made excuses that his brakes are not that good and that I stopped so abruptly...

With all that done.

Any suggestion of what mods should I consider or shall I just buy an OEM replacement?
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Rear ended, mud guard suggestions

Post by kramnala58 »

Hey alx123, I have been fortunate enough not to have had that happen. I hope you were able to get some compensation out of him, which is the Thai way. If you know you are not at fault, it may help to suggest he wait until the police come to determine who is at fault.

As far as a mod, some members have done a rear guard removal or a rear guard reduction. Try searching for the results. I am positive you could get in done for 500 baht or so if you don't want to do it yourself. Here is one thread I found that has both the reduction and the removal. It was in the "How To" forum.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2725
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

@Kram

Thanks for the link. I'm not quite sure if that would be a good idea riding in the rain? Without a mud guard, all the mud might go straight to my riding jacket's back. No?

It happened inside a small shortcut soi, so I don't think a police gonna bother coming to settle us. The guy doesn't sound apologetic at all. and being a foreigner here, I really didn't plan to find any trouble. I figure it's not that big of an amount for an argument. Mai pen rai and off he went.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

This is what i have in mind..with the version 1 of the link you gave me..

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

...or if you think you are going to get hit again, just tie wrap it, or super glue it. Just put a piece of plastic or aluminum under it before you reconnect everything. You could even rivet the piece under the broken parts. There is always a way to fix parts. It just depends on how nice you want them to look, though most of us can figure out how to make them look good as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Mel46 wrote:...or if you think you are going to get hit again, just tie wrap it, or super glue it. Just put a piece of plastic or aluminum under it before you reconnect everything. You could even rivet the piece under the broken parts. There is always a way to fix parts. It just depends on how nice you want them to look, though most of us can figure out how to make them look good as well.

your'e right. I'll take a closer look at the extent of the damage tomorrow and see what I can do.

Besides, I might not be able to replace it ASAP so a quick fix is needed.

Thanks
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:Whats the chance of you getting rear ended running 20kph (14mph) in a small street in Bangkok?

With the way Thais tailgates and ride, it's a big possibility here in Bangkok. Unbelievable, the guy just made excuses that his brakes are not that good and that I stopped so abruptly...

With all that done.

Any suggestion of what mods should I consider or shall I just buy an OEM replacement?

I'm shocked. That looks life changing....
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Here's Homie's tidy tail crop procedure http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... l&start=20

I think you have damages beyond this crop so maybe no options, plus you have to hang HUGE plates don't you?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

It wasn't so bad.

That homies tail crop is nice. Gonna give this a little fix and see what I can come up with.

Thank you all...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Cut off the piece that is hanging following the cut angle that is already there on the right side. Then either reattach that part by putting a piece of aluminum behind it to be used as the attachment point or find another way to reattach the part by some other means, such as a black piece of plastic. I also would not be surprised if there were shops that offered aluminum versions of the mud flap. You are lucky that it was the only part messed up.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Think I'd just use a dremel and a chalk line :D
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

you you wrote:Think I'd just use a dremel and a chalk line :D
Proof enough that I always value youyou's wise words of advice..

Mel46 wrote:Cut off the piece that is hanging following the cut angle that is already there on the right side. Then either reattach that part by putting a piece of aluminum behind it to be used as the attachment point or find another way to reattach the part by some other means, such as a black piece of plastic. I also would not be surprised if there were shops that offered aluminum versions of the mud flap. You are lucky that it was the only part messed up.
Thank you Mel. I cut the hanging plastic and is thinking of ways to reattached it as the plate is taking all the mud. I am looking into possible materials (like the ones you mentioned). That, or remove the flap entirely and install an aftermarket mud guard.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi alx, I'm reading along and then a light bulb went "on" (most folk say that the bulb went "off," but that makes no sense to me), anywho....
Have you seen, or considered something like this as a fix, a replacement of and an upgrade to your rear lighting? Yes, :P an all in one!

Take a look at this great how-to and review on "Vololights":

Member Jge64 installed this item on his Beautifully Upgraded White PCX. You can find His install here along with All of his goodies:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... e&start=60

Shame on me! I forgot to say Sorry this stupid mishap happened to you! Thank whomever you want because this "hit" could have been worse. If you keep that in mind, your cracked tail is no biggie. Sometimes things happen for a reason...in your case, it will be an upgrade. Chintzy tail no more!
Good Luck and please keep us posted!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:
you you wrote:Think I'd just use a dremel and a chalk line :D
Proof enough that I always value youyou's wise words of advice..

Mel46 wrote:Cut off the piece that is hanging following the cut angle that is already there on the right side. Then either reattach that part by putting a piece of aluminum behind it to be used as the attachment point or find another way to reattach the part by some other means, such as a black piece of plastic. I also would not be surprised if there were shops that offered aluminum versions of the mud flap. You are lucky that it was the only part messed up.
Thank you Mel. I cut the hanging plastic and is thinking of ways to reattached it as the plate is taking all the mud. I am looking into possible materials (like the ones you mentioned). That, or remove the flap entirely and install an aftermarket mud guard.

:D looks good
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hi alx, I'm reading along and then a light bulb went "on" (most folk say that the bulb went "off," but that makes no sense to me), anywho....
Have you seen, or considered something like this as a fix, a replacement of and an upgrade to your rear lighting? Yes, :P an all in one!

Take a look at this great how-to and review on "Vololights":

Member Jge64 installed this item on his Beautifully Upgraded White PCX. You can find His install here along with All of his goodies:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... e&start=60

Shame on me! I forgot to say Sorry this stupid mishap happened to you! Thank whomever you want because this "hit" could have been worse. If you keep that in mind, your cracked tail is no biggie. Sometimes things happen for a reason...in your case, it will be an upgrade. Chintzy tail no more!
Good Luck and please keep us posted!
@Whitenoise

Bookmarked! I think I will end up reading that entire thread later tonight. :)

Awesome mods and treasure of infos in there.Thank you.

The vololights might not work for me, Thai plates are as big as Thai road signs. :lol:

I agree on the POV on things, at least this will give me something to work on and make my DIY juices flowing..

I'll let you guys know what I'll come up with. (Hoping I'll not mess this up,LOL)

Cheers..
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

alx- there is a simple trick to get your license plate about one inch higher on the mudguard

Take apart the license plate holder and mount it on the mudguard upside down. This will get it right under the reflector.

I have the same plate holder. You can see the location on my bike here - http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ivi#p85116
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

BobS wrote:alx- there is a simple trick to get your license plate about one inch higher on the mudguard

Take apart the license plate holder and mount it on the mudguard upside down. This will get it right under the reflector.

I have the same plate holder. You can see the location on my bike here - http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ivi#p85116

That's great news. I'll this tomorrow. Thanks
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Update:

Since the Thai plates are so big, I followed Bobs advice above and moved it a little higher closer below the reflector. (Thanks bob)

I then cut the rear mudguard where the plates ends, since I don't want my plates getting all that dirt. (Thailand has a lot of rains all year round)

Not the best compromise but I might stick with this for a while.

I think the size of the plate really limit the possible mods.

I plan to someday remove the entire mud guard, put the plate somewhere in there, and install an aftermarket mud guard.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Perfect, right there! Job done and looking better than before (the bruising) ;) Ain't it great having pals here on the forums? Can I get a Woot! :D

Cheers to all, and to all ride safe
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Perfect, right there! Job done and looking better than before (the bruising) ;) Ain't it great having pals here on the forums? Can I get a Woot! :D

Cheers to all, and to all ride safe
woot