Foam handlebar grips

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Summicron
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Foam handlebar grips

Post by Summicron »

What size foam handlebar grips should I get, 1 inch?

Do I remove the the rubber grips?

Does anyone have a source for plan smooth foam grips?

Jim
Madison, WI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Foam handlebar grips

Post by homie »

Welcome Jim!
I see you are my neighbor up Wisconsin town 8) If you don't care for the stock grips I have seen some slip over foam products talked about in here. Might be a good idea and someone will link you in time. However if you are thinking to remove and install new grips be prepared for some very tight bar-ends. That cross tip screw is extreme and might require an impact tool. At the very least make sure you have the exact size screw driver bit before jumping on that o_O

Order the proper length and inside diameter grips, remove the bar-ends, cut the stock grips off with a razor blade. Cleanup the old glue residue, add fresh adhesive, install new grips, replace bar-ends. Job requires confidence but not experience.

yeah the foam slip on's are going to be much easier ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi and welcome to our forums! :P
Here's a pair of foam grip covers that many scooter members use and are very happy with. They're called "Grip Puppies." They slip over your existing grips using soapy water. They increase the diameter and make them cushier to grip.
Here's one place they can be purchased,...good 'ol Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GJKYG ... ref=plSrch
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome,

Before Whitenoise tells you, although you list your location in your first post, it often helps us help you better if your location is listed under your profile that can be accessed from the 'User Control Panel' in the upper right corner.

Regarding the foam grips, by suggestion would be to go with the slip-over type ones that Whitenoise highlighted.

I have installed the full foam grips and if I had to do it again, I would go with the slip-over type because they are less expensive and easier to install. I love the feel of the foam grips but they deteriorate quicker than regular grips and need replacing. Thus, the slip-over style appear to much more convenient.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
silverantec
Year: 2015
Color: Candy

Post by silverantec »

Summicron I am wondering if you are after foam grips for looks or to ease the wrist. If it is the latter may I recommend using a simple to fit cheap little item called a wrist saver sold at probably any and every bike shop. Positioned (properly) on the very outer end of the accelerator grip it is so relaxing you do not actually need to wrap your fingers around the grip to operate the accelerator. If you are after a certain look just ignore this reply.

Oh and if you do try the wrist saver start with it positioned a little too low and creep it up till you are happy (too high & it is annoying operating the brake with a kink in your wrist to avoid accelerating by accident). Trying to drag it down is impossible (almost) and it will save you spinning it around the grip if you start off too high. Do make sure it is on the extreme outer end though of your grip.
Summicron

Post by Summicron »

Yeah, that is called a Cramp Buster and I have tried that. Due to the CVT the throttle lever moves too much and the Cramp Buster is not what I want. In a prev bike, I used foam grips over the rubber grips and that made the grip diameter better, which I like.

Jim
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by ScooterAddict »

Get on eBay and look for GrabOn grip covers. Look for the free shipping ones. I bought 2pair last time and I think I paid $12 and change for each pair.
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
Summicron

Post by Summicron »

Put the Grab On grips over the weekend using the dish soap as a lube. Much easier to install without the handlebar end weights in place. Now it is raining and can't get out for a ride, but they feel great. Thanks to all that helped.

Going to be a great riding season.

Jim
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I noticed that the sizes of both types of items range from 1.25" up to 1.65". Which size fits the PCX? My wife is worried about the vibration she will feel through the handlebar when she starts to ride again, especially through her shoulder that they had to rebuild after that last accident. I thought that either of the two items (GrabOn grip covers, Grip Puppy Foam Over Grips) would be great for her. however, I do need the correct size.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers