Achieving a goal without knowing what you're doing...

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Achieving a goal without knowing what you're doing...

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for that k2, keep smiling
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Ish, I have to laugh at your last statement. I live right across the street from a Home Depot. It is one of my favorite places to go to dream up ideas....that, and ACE Hardware.

Oh, and by the way, I had no parents. All of my training came from being in the military. I would have stayed in if they would have allowed me time to finish college. Alas, it didn't work out that way. Still, after I finished college I ended up working for the company that provided us with the planes I flew in. I retired from there as a Christmas present in 2011.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Mel46 wrote:Ish, I have to laugh at your last statement. I live right across the street from a Home Depot. It is one of my favorite places to go to dream up ideas....that, and ACE Hardware.

Oh, and by the way, I had no parents. All of my training came from being in the military. I would have stayed in if they would have allowed me time to finish college. Alas, it didn't work out that way. Still, after I finished college I ended up working for the company that provided us with the planes I flew in. I retired from there as a Christmas present in 2011.
So you sprang from the forehead of Zeus, fully armored and armed? :o

I generally have a bit of disdain for the big box stores, as it seems like they get most of their employees from all those people NASA laid off. Really, if I know more about any project than the people I go into a store to ask for suggestions, advice, assistance, etc. then I don't need to be in that store.

There's this little mom-and-pop (or should I say pop-and-pop, since it was two guys that started it back in the early 1930s) hardware store, practically and pretty much the last of it's kind in the area, and those guys have forgotten more than I have ever learned about building materials, woodworking, plumbing, etc.

I get about 80% of my inspiration from the guys that work in the yard and the shop, and the fellows (and young ladies!) at the front desk are no slouches either. If they can't figure out a problem, then that problem can't be solved. My family has been going there for over 50 years. The big box stores do not compare, in any way, to these local guys.

Sure, the local guys might be a tad more expensive, but when I go in and ask for a piece of 7/8" paint-grade ply, cut into 22" x 96" strips, that's exactly what I get, with no argument, no hesitation, and no quibbles. I walk around to the shop, and Eric is waiting at the stairs for me, and we go up to see Edgar, and Edgar cuts my wood exactly to my specs, with a smile, and a "what are you working on this time?" Edgar is the guy from whom I get all my advice on rebuilding that bench in the lair. He knows what I'm doing, and he's been there for 30 years, so I know he's going to be the same guy I talk to next week.

There just aren't many neighborhood stores like that any more.

I just have to get up off of Ol' Rusty to go get it. :lol:
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Woot! Mom and Pop hardware stores are the Very Best! No ands, ifs or buts about it! ;)

I grew up with ours a mere bicycle ride down the block. I would linger about the store asking questions about this n that. They were as Friendly as all get out (that's a complimentary phrase folks :P )

Between my Dad and that hardware store, I learned more in a handful of years than most sales folks know today in any of the big chain stores. That being said, I still shop them and enjoy walking about looking at the variety of everything. I'm Still learning. Never stop that. My complaint, it's hard to find knowledgeable help...it's hard to find a salesperson - Period! "Can I get a Holler?" :D

Thankfully, I don't need them often, and if I do, in truth, I end up teaching them! How's that working for ya WN? :ugeek:
Oh boy, oh boy, oh Boy!

Oh and another thing...when I do go there in quest of a certain piece of hardware, most times they don't have it! Okay agree, maybe the piece I require Is unique, but you can't quite convince me of that....not in this day and age (think Man on the Moon). This is HD, this is Lowes, this Ace Hardware for Gosh sakes! Hel-lo...You guys wiped out my favorite "in town" Hardware Store...remember? And for what?
Best times are when I stand there sketching the part on an isle box so that the salesperson gets the idea. OMG! That right there! makes me laugh :lol: Wonder why?

Hey! Do you/have you ever hang out for any of their lessons? You know, the "How To" demos?
I never did. Do they bring in "the pros" for the show? I dunno :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

I know exactly of what you speak, WN...

I spent my first two years at Georgia Southern working for a construction company, and there are three shopping centers, two apartment complexes and several houses down there that I helped build. The guy that taught me masonry and bricklaying had forgotten more than I ever learned under his tutelage.

I interrupted a "demo" once at Home Despot. The guy was really snotty about it, and loudly proclaimed that what I suggested was impossible, and would I care to demonstrate <snicker> So I did. Much to his embarrassment. I could have taught that demo better than he did. His first three courses were all out of plumb, with uneven beds. He didn't even know what tucking an pointing were. Amateur hour.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Now guys, let's remember that the big box stores gave us...huh...they gave us...well they gave someone lots of money, and the rest of us are on our own when we go in there. I love Home Depot for what they have, and for their low prices, but when it comes to needing help on a project or an idea they just look at me with this dumb look on their faces. Many many years ago I lived in a small town for awhile where there actually were small Mom and Pop stores, and I have to say that even if they did not know the answer they were willing to investigate. Sometimes we learned together. It was fun to pick the brains of some of those really smart people, especially the farmers who came in and had done what I was trying to do, so they would contribute to the conversation.
But all of that is going away as big box stores like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and even Ace Hardware, which is at least not as bad as the really big guys, take over and shut down the small towns. Pretty soon all of that knowledge will be gone, though the young people of today don't really care.

I was raised in a orphanage (among other names for it) but I had a lot more opportunities to learn than half of the kids today. I got one of the best educations because they had a private school, and they had trade schools, and we played sports and learned about sportsmanship, and we learned to lose. Many of the kids today have not been raised to learn to lose at anything. They get a medal for participating! They go on a killing spree because they lost or because they didn't make the team, or because some other team won, or because they didn't make an 'A' on their paper! I went into the military after I left there and went to boot camp, and it was fun! It was fun because I was prepared to go, and I was physically fit, unlike these kids today who exercise their thumbs and think nothing else exists beyond their phones.
OK, off of my soap box. Having an imagination is key to a lot of the things you do or want to do in life. There is no limit to what you can do if you can imagine, and think.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Now guys, let's remember that the big box stores gave us...huh...they gave us...well they gave someone lots of money, and the rest of us are on our own when we go in there. I love Home Depot for what they have, and for their low prices, but when it comes to needing help on a project or an idea they just look at me with this dumb look on their faces. Many many years ago I lived in a small town for awhile where there actually were small Mom and Pop stores, and I have to say that even if they did not know the answer they were willing to investigate. Sometimes we learned together. It was fun to pick the brains of some of those really smart people, especially the farmers who came in and had done what I was trying to do, so they would contribute to the conversation.
But all of that is going away as big box stores like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and even Ace Hardware, which is at least not as bad as the really big guys, take over and shut down the small towns. Pretty soon all of that knowledge will be gone, though the young people of today don't really care.

I was raised in a orphanage (among other names for it) but I had a lot more opportunities to learn than half of the kids today. I got one of the best educations because they had a private school, and they had trade schools, and we played sports and learned about sportsmanship, and we learned to lose. Many of the kids today have not been raised to learn to lose at anything. They get a medal for participating! They go on a killing spree because they lost or because they didn't make the team, or because some other team won, or because they didn't make an 'A' on their paper! I went into the military after I left there and went to boot camp, and it was fun! It was fun because I was prepared to go, and I was physically fit, unlike these kids today who exercise their thumbs and think nothing else exists beyond their phones.
OK, off of my soap box. Having an imagination is key to a lot of the things you do or want to do in life. There is no limit to what you can do if you can imagine, and think.

And......breath.

Is it too late to send my son to an orphanage or the military :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think every kid should be required to go into the military for 2 years once they graduate from high school. No deferments. They don't have to go into the part where you go off to war, but they need to learn discipline and they need to exercise. They could actually learn something about obeying orders.
If the kid doesn't like violence, there are still a lot of positions in the military that are not front line. Heck, I was in the U.S. Coast Guard for 12 years. I can't count the number of lives I saved. It was hard work but the rewards were worth it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I think every kid should be required to go into the military for 2 years once they graduate from high school. No deferments. They don't have to go into the part where you go off to war, but they need to learn discipline and they need to exercise. They could actually learn something about obeying orders.
If the kid doesn't like violence, there are still a lot of positions in the military that are not front line. Heck, I was in the U.S. Coast Guard for 12 years. I can't count the number of lives I saved. It was hard work but the rewards were worth it.

I agree but don't want to be a hypocrite. I was a conciencous objector from the Brownies.
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dgnyberg »

Mel46 wrote:I think every kid should be required to go into the military for 2 years once they graduate from high school. No deferments. They don't have to go into the part where you go off to war, but they need to learn discipline and they need to exercise. They could actually learn something about obeying orders.
Hey, Mel, as an 11 year Air Force Veteran, I'd like to thank you for your service!! I agree with the two years of service out of high school. Good call!!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Two years of public service. . .men and women. . .a choice of military or non-military venues. Let's all the citizens have skin in the game. . .not just some. Accommodate those with challenges who have the spirit to contribute but need a leg up. . .not a hand out. Could be a real eye-opener for career moves that young people may be having trouble establishing. Sort of a right of passage to becoming a responsible adult in society. :geek: