New exhaust experience

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

New exhaust experience

Post by chicaboo »

Hi gang,

I put my Realize Blink exhaust from Webike on today. Clamp on slip joint exhausts are a pain to install!
Anyhow, it's noisy and looks good, didn't make any difference to power, yada yada it's just an exhaust...
I was surprised to see the exhaust start to turn gold after only one short 45 minute ride.

Here's the interesting thing, for the first time I wasn't tailgated or had any cars consider driving out in front of me! 8)
On a side note, removing my top box made feel like a more skilled rider all of a sudden. I felt much less noobish. :lol:

Some interesting facts:
Top box h/w - 4kg
Stock exhaust - 4.7kg
Sports exhaust - 3.5kg.

Cheers, Gav.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New exhaust experience

Post by chicaboo »

Oh, and the scooter is geared to an indicated 120kph or 74.5mph, but it doesn't have the power to get there...
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi chicaboo :) ....so overall, are You liking your new exhaust or not liking it? Or are you still experimenting/on the fence about it? Taking your topbox off brought back the natural balance of your scoot. Am I correct in saying that? You mentioned your skills were better afterwards. No added tail weight. I believe you.

Have fun, be safe your scoots a beaut! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hey Mr Noise,

I really like the look of the exhaust, which was the main reason for getting it (while maintaining good access to the dipstick). It's perhaps twice as loud as I would've liked, but in that regard it seems to be doing a smashing job of shooing the cars away. I didn't disconnect the battery due to time constraints, so maybe it has the potential for a few more herbs after it learns. So it would be nice if it wakes up a bit over time.

As you noticed, my greatest excitement was the improved handling after removing the top box. I figured since I never used the thing I'd see what sort of difference it would make. It wasn't clear to me why I was better through the corners at first, and only after talking to a scooter buddy and having him explain to me how sensitive scooters are to small high CG changes that I really appreciated the change.

I'm keeping the top box for occasions I might want to carry some odds and ends for a day trip, but I really do enjoy the clean look and improved ride without it. It's funny I've never seen anyone comment on how a top box affects the ride so much, so i was very pleasantly surprised. I can't imagine how hard it would be to wrestle the scooter with a passenger!

As for the exhaust, there is some space around the flute and between the wall of the cannon to maybe pack some glass wool in there to help quieten it down. I'm surprised the manufacturer didn't do this out of the factory. So it's more of a resonator than a muffler the way it stands... Still, it makes the scoot sound beastly under acceleration and quite nice while cruising. Living in such a hilly area I'm always accelerating, so it tends to be on song more often than not.

Gav.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ms Noise.....?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Oh yeah, the noisy exhaust has me craving more power. Whereas the stock exhaust left me accepting the scoots adequate performance.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

One Thing Leads to Another
Uh oh! :lol: I sense more mods on the build. Influenced by your well liked (but loud(ish) exhaust. You'll find tips n tricks over on the Performance board to increase Top Speed.
I agree, why tote a top box if it's empty.
Be in control and one with your scoot
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I don't know how I feel about more top speed just yet, the scoot is very lazy past 90kph most days. But It depends on the wind and what I had for lunch.
But yes, I've had sliders here for a couple of weeks waiting to go in once my v tool arrives. I'm lead to expect great things from this.
From there I would love more power, but it depends on the finances and how much money I really want to sink into a cheap scooter.
I'd be interested to know what a 31mm TB+IM and injector does vs a BBK? As all of the above gets prohibitively expensive.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hey all,

Just an update to let you know that I'm feeling quite happy with the exhaust now that the sliders are in.
It was a tad disappointing confirming the exhaust is only cosmetic and good car repellent in a can.
But with the sliders installed it feels like a complete package now. Nice to have some go for the show.

Gav.
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: Nc-70 white

Post by Sinfullsinner »

Im waiting on my exhaust from webike to add a little more sound to my pcx, did you have a good experince buying from them?
SINZ

PCX 2010, white, 10yrs old from new (secret transformer shhhh!)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hi Mr sinner,

When I placed my order with them they had nothing in stock, but within 2 days they obtained goods and posted them out to me to arrive about another 6 days later. It was a beautiful seamless experience with email updates letting me know the status of my order and tracking information to watch throughout the process. I highly recommend them.

Gav.
Sinfullsinner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: Nc-70 white

Post by Sinfullsinner »

They did the same with me the item went from Japan to UK in 3 days! Customs have held it for a week then slammed me with a £50 fee! As for webike they havent answered any of my emails so far, even though at the time of purchase tax was included in the shipping :cry:
SINZ

PCX 2010, white, 10yrs old from new (secret transformer shhhh!)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

That's uk customs for you. There's always going to be vat and duty on parts over a certain value.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Yeah, it took them over a week to answer my emails too, by which time I already made the purchase and it didn't matter by then...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Update:

This morning I went to an exhaust shop and got a bung for a wideband o2 sensor welded onto my exhaust.
I also got him to weld a longer tube onto the inside of the baffle to help make it quieter.
This worked out really well and has probably made the exhaust over 25% quieter!
The only downside is that the exhaust sounds a little agricultural now... Oh well, it is a thumper after all.
But it should be still loud enough to keep the soccer mums at bay and quiet enough not to attract the plod.
JaeMelo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black/Grey

Post by JaeMelo »

chicaboo wrote:Update:

This morning I went to an exhaust shop and got a bung for a wideband o2 sensor welded onto my exhaust.
I also got him to weld a longer tube onto the inside of the baffle to help make it quieter.
This worked out really well and has probably made the exhaust over 25% quieter!
The only downside is that the exhaust sounds a little agricultural now... Oh well, it is a thumper after all.
But it should be still loud enough to keep the soccer mums at bay and quiet enough not to attract the plod.
:lol: Im sorry but that was hilarious xD. The way you worded that for some reason reminded me of a gas powered golf kart.

I'll try to get pics and a video up this weekend of the exhaust I got my hands on. I to also will be getting my wideband bung welded in hopefully this week.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Glad I could entertain someone. :P It sounds like when you open up the airbox, IE: quite guttural and dieselish... :?

The problem you might find with the Tsukigi exhaust is finding somewhere with enough space for the o2 bung.
Mine is welded to the fat part of the header between the spring retainers on the inside facing towards the swingarm.
You can't really weld it to the narrow part of the header since there is no room under there, and you'll block the pipe.
Also, for a scooter you should have the sensor at least 12" away from the exhaust port and 10deg above horizontal.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the Tsukigi on your Airblade with the stock muffler and fancy welded header pipe. :D
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

chicaboo wrote:Hi gang,

Here's the interesting thing, for the first time I wasn't tailgated or had any cars consider driving out in front of me! 8)

Cheers, Gav.
The idea that a loud exhaust increases safety is a MYTH, and it is downright dangerous to give this advice to give this bad advice to others as think they will have a safety advantage that in reality they do not have. Bad advice is a disservice to everyone.

1. The worst accident is where people pull in front of you, and your exhaust puts most of its noise out from behind as it points backwards. No one in front of you is going to hear your exhaust while you approach them at speed, and a loud exhaust will NOT prevent this kind of accident.

2. Most rear end accidents happen when stopped or braking, when the engine is at IDLE, and you are not going to hear the exhaust anyways. Its very rare to get rear ended when under high power.

3. Modern cars are incredibly quiet inside, you are dreaming if you think a lot of people will be hearing your exhaust.

4. If you want to increase safety, LIGHTING both front and rear is a REAL solution... False solutions might make you fell good, but they do not work.

5. Constant Loud noise increases rider fatigue and increases RIDER ERROR's by a large amount. The Aviation industry has spent hundreds of millions of dollars making cockpits quieter to protect pilots from the effects of noise fatigue, and reduce pilot error. Pilots are some of the best trained, most skilled people on the planet. You are delusional if you think you are immune to the effects of noise fatigue.

If some kids likes a loud bike, more power to him... I get it that they want to be cool. BUT, I take issue when people start trying to pass this garbage off as " SAFETY "

There are plenty of articles and analysis out there for those interested in reality and truth.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/s ... save-lives

Mike
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Put the oem muffler back, and shut up.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

aguim wrote:Put the oem muffler back, and shut up.
If you're talking to me, that is no longer an option.