Which disc lock?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Which disc lock?

Post by Theboybilly »

I was just wondering what disc lock you may recommend for the PCX. I have a decent lock & chain for when parking up outside the house. I'd like to add some extra security but also have something more handy for those quick stops around my little high street shopping area.

Bill
Image[/URL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Which disc lock?

Post by gn2 »

I use an Oxford Titan cheapie.
If the tealeaves want your scoot, it makes no odds what disc lock you have, they'll just lift the scooter into a van and drive off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

That's my take on things. I will do all I can to prevent theft but security hardware is just one of many measures. I try to pick a good place to park up to deny thieves the ideal conditions for them to have there evil way. I would always look to park next to a more expensive, unprotected bike or scooter for instance.

Many thanks.

Bill
Image[/URL
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Theboybilly wrote:That's my take on things. I will do all I can to prevent theft but security hardware is just one of many measures. I try to pick a good place to park up to deny thieves the ideal conditions for them to have there evil way. I would always look to park next to a more expensive, unprotected bike or scooter for instance.

Many thanks.

Bill
I just live in nice area
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

Just a quick note before you buy a disc lock make sure its a 6mm one or it wont fit,
Ps anyone want a cheap 8mm disc lock :oops:
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

uploader wrote:Just a quick note before you buy a disc lock make sure its a 6mm one or it wont fit,
Ps anyone want a cheap 8mm disc lock :oops:
I did that when I got my first scooter! Luckily the shop took it back and I bought an oxford chain!
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Thanks for the 6mm info Uploader. That could save a bit of bother

Bill
Image[/URL
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Living in a nice area doesn't help much, qed. In fact, guess where most luxury cars get stolen. And quite a few get stolen from the garage, driven away with their own keys once the burglars break into the house. Owners are lucky if they're not inside when this happens. Louthepoo is right, if they want it, they will most likely steal it.

But as it is our duty to make their life harder, a disc lock isn't a bad idea at all. I use this:

http://www.motardclass.com/Antirrobos%2 ... con-alarma

Not expensive, not too heavy, and it has the interesting feature of a built-in alarm. It claims 100dB and I doubt it is that much, but it is loud enough.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cascanciu wrote:Living in a nice area doesn't help much, qed. In fact, guess where most luxury cars get stolen. And quite a few get stolen from the garage, driven away with their own keys once the burglars break into the house. Owners are lucky if they're not inside when this happens. Louthepoo is right, if they want it, they will most likely steal it.

But as it is our duty to make their life harder, a disc lock isn't a bad idea at all. I use this:

http://www.motardclass.com/Antirrobos%2 ... con-alarma

Not expensive, not too heavy, and it has the interesting feature of a built-in alarm. It claims 100dB and I doubt it is that much, but it is loud enough.

Cheers, but nothing gets stolen. I know as I'm here
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Where's 'here'?
Image[/URL
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You after my bikes? :D
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

lol, no I just like to know where folk are from. I wasn't after your house no. or postcode

;-)

Bill
Image[/URL
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Theboybilly wrote:lol, no I just like to know where folk are from. I wasn't after your house no. or postcode

;-)

Bill

Just teasing. North Yorkshire
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Xena locks work really well for those of you in the USA: http://lockandloud.com/. The alarmed ones are nice and LOUD, I've heard one go off in a parking garage, it was painfully loud. o_O

Here's how it works:

Regardless of what brand you get, I recommend getting some sort of reminder bungee to wrap around your grip so that you don't try to roll off with the lock engaged. The lock will bend your disc badly if you try to roll off on it.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Once watched someone take off at full throttle on a Honda CBX 1000 with the front wheel still locked.
Nasty.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

a right big headed arsehole at work sat on his aprilia rs125 revving the shit off it laughing at me on my 50cc scooter and tried to shoot off with his disclock still on! i had tears filling up my helmet as a crawled past him! shame i couldnt rev the scooter with the exhaust in his face!
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

louthepoo wrote:a right big headed arsehole at work sat on his aprilia rs125 revving the shit off it laughing at me on my 50cc scooter and tried to shoot off with his disclock still on! i had tears filling up my helmet as a crawled past him! shame i couldnt rev the scooter with the exhaust in his face!
I will reply to this post when I stop laughing and pick myself up from the floor :lol: