Advice for anti theft

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Advice for anti theft

Post by Jge64 »

My new pcx will sit in a parking stall in a secure condo garage. I cannot chain it to anything. We had a scooter stolen last year, but it was poss an inside insurance job, for the most part it is a safe environment.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas to add to my plan:

1. Front disc audible lock alarm
2. Naturally forks will be locked
3. 6 ' Cable thru back wheel and around footwell area
4. Generic cover over whole bike, no honda logo.

Advice?
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Advice for anti theft

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi! :P my 2 cents

Buy Top of the line motorcycle/scoot insurance!! Gives you peace of mind and best security protection.

1. I'm not a fan of disc locks. I keep envisioning damage to disc by act of force (thief rolling it)
or by me just forgetting the lock. Yes, they sell coiled glow cords that go from your bars to the disc lock to remind you the Lock Is There. Good idea. Still, it's just too much "stuff" for me. Engaging it all and disengaging. These Things draw attention to others. I don't want their attention under these circumstances. Just me. :roll: Many bikers have them, use them and just wouldn't go without them.

2. Set your bike on its center stand. Use your 6' cable

3. Fully cover the bike. If the cover has grommets, you could buy and weave one of these through them:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/82-19810?

4. I carry a Grip Lock for short stops (supermarket, etc). Here's a pic, ahh...make that a BIG PIC :oops:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.04 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Thx! I have full insurance...
Glen
kundalini
Year: 2015 PCX 125
Color: Matte Grey

Post by kundalini »

Sounds like you have plenty there. Such a light bike that if people want it, they're just going to pick it up and throw it in the back of a van. Short of anchoring, there isn't much to be done. So like WhiteNoise said, if you have good insurance, that is your best piece of mind.

Personally I have a small Oxford disc lock (I wanted bigger, but the holes on scooter brake discs are tiny) with a bright reminder cable. I don't expect this to protect it from a serious thief, but it will scare off casual idiots that might try to steal your scoot for a joyride.

I've never seen a Grip-Lock before though. I might have too find me one of those. I wonder if they do them in the UK.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by Dustoff66 »

That Grip Lock looks pretty good, except that they charge 20 bucks shipping on top of the nearly 60 dollar item cost!
Amazon has another one, the Bully Lock, which looks about the same, and it's less than 50 bucks with free shipping.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... L1500_.jpg

I put both on my wish list until I do more research or see more reviews.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by Dustoff66 »

kundalini wrote:
I've never seen a Grip-Lock before though. I might have too find me one of those. I wonder if they do them in the UK.
The company's website is from the UK. You can probably get it a lot cheaper than us Yanks.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Grip lock on US Amazon...about $50
Glen
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

There's croc-lock too - but I like the grip-lock better (it seems better). Not sure how there are so many clones as I thought grip-lock was copyright (they all look basically the same).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/36106354 ... 108&ff19=0
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow guys, I didn't realize how the price went up since I got my Grip-Lock(2011?) But....I'd still buy one if I didn't have one. (Or maybe a copycat after checking them out "thoroughly")

Yeah you're right iceman, I just saw the clones out there! How'd that happen?
Whadda-say WE make one? :lol:

Here's more links:
http://www.aerostich.com/grip-lock.html
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... sQTqhI-AAg
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Produ ... HwodmAcAwA
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kundalini
Year: 2015 PCX 125
Color: Matte Grey

Post by kundalini »

Grip-Lock originates from New Zealand apparently. Going to stick with my Oxford disc lock for now, but if I wanted some extra security I would probably grab one of these over a chain that costs over £100 and can be snipped with bolt cutters in under 30 seconds. Saw one video of a guy trying to get a Grip-Lock off with a screw driver, but he had no luck. Would be quicker to dismantle or brake the brake lever I'd bet.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Insure it. Cover it. Park it only in safe places. Then don't worry about it.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Understand that most people would be distressed if they even found a scooter

Try not to be too distressed that most people don't want to steal your scooter

Try to get out more

If you can no-one can steal your scooter
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I had purchased a croc-lock when I got my PCX but never used it and was not keen on the yellow colour (thought yellow would stand out, but didn't like it - but it's available in red, green and black) so sold it on Ebay. Something like this is useful as extra security to stop the scoot being rolled away as it holds the brake on, and that feature may come in handy for maintenance duties too.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

HERE IN CHINA, YOU DEFINITELY NEED A MASSIVE CHAIN LOCK...
IF NOT, THE NOTORIOUS BIG JINBEI VAN WILL BE ON THE WAY, JUST CHUCK THE BIKE IN THE VAN, OFF IT GOES...

GRIP LOCK? U LOCK, NO GOOD AT ALL...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

doletotodole wrote: THE NOTORIOUS BIG JINBEI.
Attachments
JENBEI.jpg
JENBEI.jpg (77.18 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
ribanold
Year: 2016
Color: brown

Post by ribanold »

dear friends of usa, good evening

here in düsseldorf its give a bike robbery gang, he works so:

you have standing your bike or pcx on the street, and you have manny idears vor no robbery, chains vor grips and breakdisc"s and so.

no this gys are comming with a wheelbarrow, and have a great carpet-floor on this.

he does yor bike on the carpet and rolling to a 3.5 to --like the same from mercedes, opel like the great as unuited parcel car, you know what i mene??

than he open the hydraulic-flap and your car ist on the way to a new owner in a other city.

and when you have a big bike (gold wing, e- glide or so) and you have the grip clothing:

he cut the brake line and yor bike is on the way. this little grip thing is a joke. sorry for usa owner, sorry.

now in the last summer he have in front of a motorcykle shop rubbery 10 bikes on one day in 2 hours.
-----------

and when you have a great, big chains on the front wheel and this on a tree or so, and you think the chain is unbreakable....

now, he tow the frontwheel out of the up side down, let this wheel on the tree or ever and do a little wheel from a other bike or wheelbarow on the up side down and the bike is out of order in a other town, country.
greasy world in düsseldorf

best whisches and a happy christmas and a good new year.

ans menny sorry for my englisch
THE LIFE IS WONDERFULL
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

There is no way to stop a theft , but you can slow them down by using chains alarms etc. I would recommend using a proximity sensor. When someone comes close to the scooter within a foot or two the sensor will trigger an alarm and will text you on your phone of the breach. You can then run out to the scooter and fire a couple rounds at the perpetrator.. In the USA he will fire back so be prepared .. LOL
If you use a proximity sensor make sure the bike is parked where it will not get a lot lookers or movement. Park it alone in a well lit place , with a GPS locator, proximity sensor and some chains and you are fine. Yeah right ????
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I watched a bike being loaded onto a truck recently. The guy had some kind of start problem so it had to go to the shop. They shop truck had these wheel 'carts' that sit low to the ground. They put the front tire on one because the handlebar was locked. They rolled it to the tail lift gate, pushed it up on to it, raised it to the bed, rolled it in and tied it down, and they were off in minutes. That was a bigger BMW. What do you think they would be able to do with a little PCX?

Unless it is tied down you are not going to keep a determined thief from taking it. I use a Grip-Lock when I go to the store, but I carry good insurance that also covers my accessories and add ons. Use some kind of security on your bike, but just be aware of the story I told you about how the easy the bike was to move to a truck since it was not tied down. If you have your own designated space in the parking area, drill a hole in the cement and put an anchor in it like the one on the link:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kryp ... oCz6fw_wcB
It won't be in the way, and will stay there permanently. It might even be a good selling point if you own the condo.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Cable lock and excellent full coverage insurance.....the best combo......
Glen
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ribanold wrote:dear friends of usa, good evening

here in düsseldorf its give a bike robbery gang, he works so:

you have standing your bike or pcx on the street, and you have manny idears vor no robbery, chains vor grips and breakdisc"s and so.

no this gys are comming with a wheelbarrow, and have a great carpet-floor on this.

he does yor bike on the carpet and rolling to a 3.5 to --like the same from mercedes, opel like the great as unuited parcel car, you know what i mene??

than he open the hydraulic-flap and your car ist on the way to a new owner in a other city.

and when you have a big bike (gold wing, e- glide or so) and you have the grip clothing:

he cut the brake line and yor bike is on the way. this little grip thing is a joke. sorry for usa owner, sorry.

now in the last summer he have in front of a motorcykle shop rubbery 10 bikes on one day in 2 hours.
-----------

and when you have a great, big chains on the front wheel and this on a tree or so, and you think the chain is unbreakable....

now, he tow the frontwheel out of the up side down, let this wheel on the tree or ever and do a little wheel from a other bike or wheelbarow on the up side down and the bike is out of order in a other town, country.
greasy world in düsseldorf

best whisches and a happy christmas and a good new year.

ans menny sorry for my englisch

Ah the old bike stolen every twelve minutes routine. Literally :D

Carelessness. Don't park outside the bike shop I say. Or do and catch some bike thieves.