Redlights and small scooters

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

markz

Redlights and small scooters

Post by markz »

In South Florida, most intersections use vehicle sense schemes as described in this writeup:

http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

My 1984 NN50MD has the ferrous metal content of a hefty flyswatter, and my new PCX125 isn't much better at being acknowledged at intersections.

I took the video's advice and sprung for a small box of similar rare earth magnets:

http://www.amazon.com/BYKES-Neodymium-M ... m_indust_8

I place two end to end, and duct taped them up to both of my scooters underside.

Low and behold, they did the trick, and the red lights no longer discriminate me and my little ride...

FWIW....
:)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Redlights and small scooters

Post by GeorgeSK »

Interesting trick - I might give it a try when the weather breaks. I do have one light that I hit on not rare occasion that has been problematic.

Thanks!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I haven't checked recently but last year I put two magnets on my cenerstand and they seemed to do the trick. However, I haven't checked lately to see if they are still there. The scooters are stored for the winter right now. This discussion reminds me to go down there and check.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I hop off and press the pedestrian crossing buttons. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I've thought about that a couple of times maddiedog but didn't want light to change before I could get back on. Have been tempted to call to pedestrians jaywalking to press button for me(other side of street cross button doesn't work so we all just have to jaywalk on campus). My intermediate programming course is a 20 minute route walking or 6 minute by scooter, but I kinda enjoy walking instead of sharing roads with these inpatient people
ImageImage
RusticCharm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by RusticCharm »

In Wisconsin motorcycles may cross against a red light if you have waited at least 45 seconds, the signal is car activated and you may proceed safely. I know other states have similar laws. Check your motorcycle laws.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I just do it anyways when it never changes. I have to jaywalk that street all the time since the button doesn't work
ImageImage
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I tried magnets on my CBR250R. I lined one side of the ferrous swing arm with giant heo magnets I stripped from a worn out wind mill. It doesn't work. No difference. If the light doesn't change, it is considered to be malfuntioning. At which point, you treat it like a flashing red according to law and proceed when it is safe. We had a big discussion at the 250 forum with a few people trying it and it magnets generally do not make any difference.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

My understanding of the buttons for pedestrians is that they don't usually activate the light, they simply make sure that the walk signal stays on long enough for the average pedestrian to clear he crosswalk, contrary to popular believe that they trigger the light to change.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Must be different there in Thailand then
ImageImage
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

kramnala58 wrote:My understanding of the buttons for pedestrians is that they don't usually activate the light, they simply make sure that the walk signal stays on long enough for the average pedestrian to clear he crosswalk, contrary to popular believe that they trigger the light to change.
It depends on the light. A lot of the ones in the USA aren't even hooked up. The ones that are in my area change the light almost immediately (within seconds), so you have to RUN back to your bike if you hit them. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

RusticCharm wrote:In Wisconsin motorcycles may cross against a red light if you have waited at least 45 seconds, the signal is car activated and you may proceed safely. I know other states have similar laws. Check your motorcycle laws.

Yep. That's what I do.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by MKE PCX »

RusticCharm wrote:In Wisconsin motorcycles may cross against a red light if you have waited at least 45 seconds, the signal is car activated and you may proceed safely. I know other states have similar laws. Check your motorcycle laws.
Have you found this in writing anywhere?

I'd love to keep a copy of that statute with both my PCX and my Triumph. I get stuck waiting all the time and always end up running the light.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I have a rare earth magnet on my oil drain plug, it does double duty of helping to activate traffic signals and picking up ferrous material in the oil.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
RusticCharm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by RusticCharm »

MKE PCX Page 9 of 2014 Wisconsin motorcyclists' handbook contains motorcycle red light law. Can be found on line..
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by MKE PCX »

RusticCharm wrote:MKE PCX Page 9 of 2014 Wisconsin motorcyclists' handbook contains motorcycle red light law. Can be found on line..
Awesome. Thanks.

I've got one of those at home somewhere.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

We have that option here in Illinois
I have a bunch of these super magnets... Cool! I think I will attach them to my boot rather than the scooter.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

dkazzed wrote:rare earth magnet .
I tried a dozen gigantic neo magnets I robbed out of a windmill all along the swing arm of my 250R. And then stacked all along the lower plastic spoiler under the engine. They changed nothing in trying to trip the red light sensors on two different places along my commute.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Magnets will never work on the optical sensors. Several lights here have those. Sometimes flashing your high beams or turning slightly will affect them. Personally my opinion is they should not be allowed unless they can detect all legal motorized vehicles!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

speedandstyle wrote:Magnets will never work on the optical sensors.
Obviously. The optical sensors work fine for motorcycles. The inductive sensors in the pavement rarely work and even gigantic magnets don't make any difference since you really need to affect the whole, car shaped loop. So you are left with sitting there until someone pulls up behind you. Or considering it as defective. Which it is. At which point it is legal to proceed as if it were a flashing red.