PCX horn replacement attempt

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

PJDawgs
Year: 2013
Color: Husker Red

Re: PCX horn replacement attempt

Post by PJDawgs »

Mel46 wrote:OOOOK, well I have installed 2 Bad Boy Horns and the whole process took less than an hour, but then I didn't take the bike apart like you did. I think you did an admirable and very professional-looking job. All I did was take the instrument panel cover off and stuff the horn down in the open area. Then I tie wrapped it in place, ran the wires to a relay that I had attached to the frame under the center cover, and then to the battery, ran a wire from the original horn, which I kept, to the relay, and I was done.
I wish I had confidence to do these simple modifications. I am afraid to screw things up and can't afford letting the local scooter shop do these extras I would love to have. I lead rides often and would love a real horn
http://www.facebook.com/Herbie2PCX
BACracer
Year: 2021
Color: Matt Black

Post by BACracer »

How many Amps does the stock PCX horn draw? I have a 2021 ADV150 and I want to switch the horn with a estylus 4 amp air horn.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Good question. I don't know about the ADV150, but I did find that any horn I tried to wire as a direct replacement did not have enough current to make the horn noticeable by traffic around me. That is why I have my Bad Boy horn hooked to the battery through a relay, and I use the wires from the original horn to run the relay instead of the horn itself.

It isn’t like you will be riding around with your thumb on the horn constantly. Going beyond the initial horn current draw using the same wires as the original one may not give you the sound you had hoped for. Try using a relay. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Mel46, is there a delay when you press the horn button and the sound comes out?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Rickjds wrote:Mel46, is there a delay when you press the horn button and the sound comes out?
I have my original horn still connected as well, so any delay will not be noticeable because both horns blow at the same time. I not only do NOT sense any delay, it scares the heck out of anyone near me when I push that button!

Interestingly enough, when we sold my wife's bike, which is wired exactly like mine, the horn turned out to be the major selling point for it. The guy bought the bike as a surprise birthday present for his wife. He told me a few weeks later that when his wife was looking over the bike and pressed the horn button she jumped! He said that then her expression changed to delight and she pressed it again. (The bike does not need to be running for it to work. It just needs to have the ignition in the ON position.

If I can figure out how to, I may just record me pressing the horn button while the bike is sitting in the garage. You will be pleasantly surprised. :D
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:25 am
Rickjds wrote:Mel46, is there a delay when you press the horn button and the sound comes out?
I have my original horn still connected as well, so any delay will not be noticeable because both horns blow at the same time. I not only do NOT sense any delay, it scares the heck out of anyone near me when I push that button!

Interestingly enough, when we sold my wife's bike, which is wired exactly like mine, the horn turned out to be the major selling point for it. The guy bought the bike as a surprise birthday present for his wife. He told me a few weeks later that when his wife was looking over the bike and pressed the horn button she jumped! He said that then her expression changed to delight and she pressed it again. (The bike does not need to be running for it to work. It just needs to have the ignition in the ON position.

If I can figure out how to, I may just record me pressing the horn button while the bike is sitting in the garage. You will be pleasantly surprised. :D
Go on then. We never did get that new garage shot.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

How do you put a video on here? I don't use Facebook or any of the social media stuff.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150