oxford htd grips

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

oxford htd grips

Post by trigg123 »

Hi
after a week of riding in temps around -3 to -5 i bought some oxford heated grips,sport version. fitted them yesterday and finished today. really pleased with them cant wait to try out this week.have used them before on my dylan,well worth the money if you commute all year round.
a couple of tips if your thinking of doing this. after fitting all the wiring i covered all the connectors with palstic and zip tied either side to help with water ingress. also fitted the controller under the seat as its not wired throught the ignition i figured that as i put my lunch in and out each day i simple turn on and off as i put lunch in and out!! also save any water on the controller( i know they are waterproof). lastly fitting the actual grips i used brake cleaner which they slipped on a treat and the fluid evaporates really quick. but on the throttle side the throttle tube is covered in ridges so had too file and sand all those off to get the throttle to work/ return correctly when the grip is on and again a good dose of brake cleaner and it slipped on a treat......really pleased with the install and will welcome toasty hands !! :lol: :lol:
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Re: oxford htd grips

Post by trigg123 »

first trip with gips on today and work very well,even thought it was +6 today,getting colder again this week,so fingers x'd
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

I've got those grips too. I've found that I still need bar muffs and my winter gloves (makes indicating easier with the muffs on for some reason).

Now I can go for long rides in any weather, and my hands don't get cold or wet at all. Feet though, that's a different matter. Heated floor board things, that's what we want.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I ordered some heated grips, but I still haven't gotten around to installing mine. Gah.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

i bought some Spada enforcer wp gloves at the bike show, much better than the older ones i had but this week is very cold and my fingers still are cold, what model grips do you you have and are they easy to fit?
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

hi mate.
I bought the oxford sport version grips £46/flea bay.they were easy enough but just take your time. I double waterproofed all the connectors etc.. also connected straight to the battery and hid controller underseat, so no one can tamper. if you take your time its easy.....oh and connect everything up first off the bike to make sure they work!!
anything you need to know just ask
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

many thanks
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

If you want to keep your hands from freezing, handlebar muffs work better than heated grips. I've had both, and while heated grips can really warm your hands up from the inside, the parts that are in the wind still freeze. With muffs, your hands are completely protected from the wind blast, and as such don't freeze. Now, I've ridden my PCX in freezing weather quite a bit and with my muffs, my hands never froze even though I wear 'all-season' gloves. That's not to say that they didn't get cold, but the way your body works is that the blood circulation to your extremities gets cut off when your torso gets cold. Meaning that when your hands get cold even when they're protected from the wind, you are apparently not keeping your torso warm enough.

That said, I guess handlebar muffs + heated grips would be a godsend in winter weather :D
al69
Regular User
Regular User

Post by al69 »

Handlebar muff have to be one of those must haves for the really cold weather.Since fitting mine i honestly dont think i could ride another scoooter without them unless its summer.They also have the added advantage of keeping your gloves dry when it raining.
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

i have read the muffs arent good on scooters
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Is that scary seventies muffs...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
antwhiting

Post by antwhiting »

muffs are meant to be excellent although they can get in the way of your indicator switch & horn.

I will be getting some for next winter for sure. My fingers cant take the -3 deg mornings much longer
2011 HONDA PCX 125
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Get some decent gloves and wrap up warm.
If your inner core gets cold you won't get as much heat delivered to your hands.
So keep your body as warm as you can.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Gn my gloves were £100 and my jacket £400,cant buy any better than what i have,im afraid i just suffer from cold hands and the grips have done the trick :P
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Price is no guarantee of performance, just ask anyone with a JCosta variator... :cough:
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

:o :o :o ,they do work well,its just my hands are crap
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

You've got to be careful with muffs. At speed, wind can force the muffs back enough that the leavers (brakes and clutch) can be operated. Not fully, but enough.

When stationary I found the one on the right hand was keeping the front brake on a tiny bit if the steering was at full right lock. I only found out by accident when I noticed the brake light was still on. I've got into the habit of checking the leavers are at their proper rest position every now and then while I'm riding.

Quite apart from not wanting my front brake on there is also the issue of having your brake light giving others the idea that your braking when you're not. Could be dangerous.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

With muffs are you attached then to the bike? Wondering if you have a spill as sometimes its best to separate from the scooter! I used to use over glove mitts in the UK in winter. Went over normal gloves as an extra layer.
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Its funny, this conversation is going on about heated grips and it's already getting hot here! I'm losing more and more gear as the weeks go by. Only have to keep the warmer gear for the nights now. It was about 85 degrees on the way home from work today! It was cold for about a week here...
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

edscoot wrote:You've got to be careful with muffs. At speed, wind can force the muffs back enough that the leavers (brakes and clutch) can be operated. Not fully, but enough.

When stationary I found the one on the right hand was keeping the front brake on a tiny bit if the steering was at full right lock. I only found out by accident when I noticed the brake light was still on. I've got into the habit of checking the leavers are at their proper rest position every now and then while I'm riding.

Quite apart from not wanting my front brake on there is also the issue of having your brake light giving others the idea that your braking when you're not. Could be dangerous.
You have to be careful fitting the muffs. Mine attach to the mirror posts and have a strap to pull them together at the front, away from the brake levers. I have the habit to check the brake levers as well though.