Reflective 3M Rim Tape before and after...

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Reflective 3M Rim Tape before and after...

Post by ScottDR »

This stuff is super reflective! Can't hurt for visibility :). The application isn't perfect and the applicator tool not the handiest, but it's on and it shouldn't come off. Got it from a vendor on Ebay.
Attachments
tape 1.jpg
tape 1.jpg (971.49 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
tape 2.jpg
tape 2.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3155 times
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3155 times
After.jpg
After.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3155 times
After 2.jpg
After 2.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3155 times
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Re: Reflective 3M Rim Tape before and after...

Post by Sandymay »

I like this! Looks good.
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Looks good. Where did you get it and what was the cost. :D
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Wasn't too expensive. I bought it over 90 days ago and honestly can't locate the vendor! My main criteria was 3M brand. 7mm is a bit wide so I may suggest 5mm for an easier install. Thanks for the positive comments. My spouse is not terribly impressed :)

Cheers!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by hondamatic »

Scott, I don't mean to hijack your thread but what trunk box do you have? Will it hold a full face helmet? It looks good on your ride. By the way the tape stripping also looks great!
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Hi there, it is the Honda OEM box and mount. Just went and checked. Yes, a full face cl5 by HMC in size large fits in it no problem.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

They make pre-curved relective strips for all wheel sizes.
You pick color, width, custom font-logo-lettering & color of same.
Including how many times you want lettering to appear on the rim.
Much easier to install in my experience than from a spool of the stuff.. scissors and spray bottle of water/drops of dish soap.
Put "Honda CBX500" in white on red strip on my bike.
Could do the same on any scoot. eBay.
Fish
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Simon0867 »

Tape and Tyreart lettering on my PCX. Done this on all my scoots over the years, always liked the look.

ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Fish: good point, most likely a much simpler install.

Simon: I really like the wide look (and you installed better than I!).

Cheers.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012

Post by Scoot Commute »

Yes I do like that

Apart from looking great it is especially eye catching for other motorist to pick up on and realise your there
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012

Post by Scoot Commute »

Yes I do like that

Apart from looking great it is especially eye catching for other motorist to pick up on and realise your there
silverantec
Color: Candy

Post by silverantec »

Nice look. It would be interesting to see same with some extra striping on the spokes too about 3mm wide but I imagine that would be really fiddly, but maybe with a couple of different colours I think would look really cool at night in headlights.

I also like your driving lights but would have much preferred you had used a higher mount point to get the best advantage of the light produced (and eliminate road vibration where mounted) and I would usually expect that had they been mounted horizontally instead of vertically they may have given a wider light spread. I have similar lights with 4 LED's each mounted on the handlebars with a great light spread and more than enough distance. Yours do however blend in well where they are mounted. Nice looking scooter. May I ask how you went for wiring them into the system to operate with high beam plus have an independent switch. As in, do you have the computer controlled power that will not run a standard relay from the high beam power?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Simon, that looks so purdy, the tape really pops and I dig the white lettering. Nice job! :P
Back in the day of muscle cars, I put wide Goodyear White Lettered Tires on all round. Groovy

@silver, welcome back stranger,
Funny how you mentioned adding reflective tape on the spokes. I was thinking along the same lines at the same time. (Ouuu...spooky, Too much Halloween this year :lol: )
Anyway, I was wondering about those open spoke cavities in our wheels, those little windows. Why not put reflective tape over them back to back? You know, on both sides. Anyone do this yet?
Neat-O! Picture it.....Spinning around 8) BAM!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

ScottDR....You're Black Rocks!! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Sandymay wrote:I like this! Looks good.
Thanks! It's getting there. I'd rather have a white bike but couldn't pass up the deal :)
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

silverantec wrote:Nice look. It would be interesting to see same with some extra striping on the spokes too about 3mm wide but I imagine that would be really fiddly, but maybe with a couple of different colours I think would look really cool at night in headlights.

I also like your driving lights but would have much preferred you had used a higher mount point to get the best advantage of the light produced (and eliminate road vibration where mounted) and I would usually expect that had they been mounted horizontally instead of vertically they may have given a wider light spread. I have similar lights with 4 LED's each mounted on the handlebars with a great light spread and more than enough distance. Yours do however blend in well where they are mounted. Nice looking scooter. May I ask how you went for wiring them into the system to operate with high beam plus have an independent switch. As in, do you have the computer controlled power that will not run a standard relay from the high beam power?
Hello,

Thanks for the compliment.

I mounted them down low like Mel46 and others before him. I like the less than completely stable mount as it's proven to get you noticed on the road (like the flicker option on some motorcycle driving lights).

Wiring...well, I had changed to LED headlights (from Ebay/China) so the draw was far less than OEM halogens. I then wired these extra lights to the low beam wires through a switch on the handlebars. So, the extra lights get power when the bike is running at all times.

Cheers!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

WhiteNoise wrote:ScottDR....You're Black Rocks!! 8)
Thanks WhiteNoise!!! Really appreciate the kind words. Hmmmm, spoke tape....might be interesting! :)
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:

Previously owned:
1975 Honda CB125
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r