Leading Trikes with the PCX150s.....

Meetups, rallies, or scooter-related events.

Moderator: Modsquad

skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Leading Trikes with the PCX150s.....

Post by skuuter »

Last Saturday, Mitzie and I led a Bunch of Trikes on a 148 Mile Ride around the Country, Ridge, and Mountain Roads in Our Area. The PCX150s are more than capable and adequate for this on the Backroads, and generally can put distance between Them and Full Blown Harleys and Gold Wings there. Here are a few Pics.....

A Fun Day with some Fun Folks..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Leading Trikes with the PCX150s.....

Post by maddiedog »

Wow, was one of those half of a VW beetle?

I bet you'd be way more nimble than the riders on those huge trikes. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

maddiedog wrote:Wow, was one of those half of a VW beetle?

I bet you'd be way more nimble than the riders on those huge trikes. ;)
Yep, one is a "Homemade" using a VW...He lives in Shelbyville, Tennessee. Yep, unless You get on a Straight 4-Lane, and Somebody on a Gold Wing, etc. wants to "Show Out", They're pretty much "Toast" to the PCX150s if we "wick it up"..... :lol: ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I'm looking at those huge engines and wondering why someone doesn't just put those in a car! When I go out on a ride I want to enjoy my little bike, not worry about the heat and bulk of a car engine. That VW conversion was a head turner. It also made me think about those engines. I think the scooters are more appropriate than those big monster mobiles.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Mel46 wrote:I'm looking at those huge engines and wondering why someone doesn't just put those in a car! When I go out on a ride I want to enjoy my little bike, not worry about the heat and bulk of a car engine. That VW conversion was a head turner. It also made me think about those engines. I think the scooters are more appropriate than those big monster mobiles.

My Wife owned this for a long time...VTX1300 Motor Trike.....

I owned This for 3 Years, Gold Wing 1800 Motor Trike IRS.....

Everything Different a Person can own and Ride makes Them a much more skilled Rider...Trikes are actually Great handling Machines Today. My Gold Wing Trike had Independent Rear Suspension. Onboard Air Compressor to adjust Ride and Roll Center going down the Road, 4-Piston Mustang GT Brakes, 4.5 Degree Raked Trees, Progressive Technologies Fork Springs, Traction Dynamics Fork Sliders, SUPER BRACE Fork Brace, Michelin Pilot Activ Tire...took a really good Rider on most 2-wheeler Motorcycles to not get reeled up by it in the twisties.....GREAT Trikes..... 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Not my cup of tea old chap.
Just don't understand why anyone would take a totally shite motorbike and spend a fortune making it worse.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Opinions are like armpits ... everyone has them and many of them stink.

Not everything I see on here is something that appeals to me but nonetheless I always enjoy seeing and hearing about what others enjoy and don't see the need to speak negatively toward them just because they like something I may not. Thanks for sharing the pics Skuuter.

Just out of curiosity, what is is cornering/turning on a trike like? With a bike we can lean into the turn, but that isn't possible on a trike. With the single front wheel I would assume that it would also make turning different than in a car.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I'm curious too... You'd think they would be hard to ride. I've heard that you can get really bad understeer really easily with a trike and that you have to be careful to avoid flipping it...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Nope, Nope, and Nope..... :D .....Today's Special Built Trikes with all of the really sophisticated suspension are virtually impossible to turn over. I took my Gold Wing Trike out to the Airport (one of my Motorcycle Riding Buddies is the chief stockholder and Administrator there, and owns my old Kawasaki Versys... ;) ) and ran it up to 70 MPH, then made an abrupt, full lock turn with the Bars several times...could spin it out twice of about 7 passes, but couldn't lift a rear wheel. Raked Triple Trees, that are a virtual no-no on 2-Wheelers, cure Trail Issues associated with Trikes, making Them feel virtually like power steering, and quickens steering response to the point of rivaling most any 2-Wheel Cruiser. I led Sport Bike Rides with mine several times at "The Dragon" at a pace that suited at least 70% of the Riders, and at a pace well above most Cruiser Rider's preferred pace.

The hardest part to master is the actual STEERING of a Trike. Turn left to go left, turn right to go right, instead of leaning and counter steering. Riders with much, much less Riding Experience, Years, and Miles than me, catch onto Trikes much faster. I had lots of techniques and habits that had to be re-learned and/or totally put aside. I can now hop back and forth between Trikes-n-Bikes with no issues though. My thinking in any motorsport, as well as Life is: "NEVER TOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE", and I never snub ANYTHING that I haven't tried personally for myself..... ;) :D
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Variety is certainly the spice of life, you've had lots of fun experiences. ;)

Thanks for sharing, I didn't realize they handled that well or were that different. Turning bars instead of leaning would be completely strange, I can't imagine that.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

maddiedog wrote:Variety is certainly the spice of life, you've had lots of fun experiences. ;)

Thanks for sharing, I didn't realize they handled that well or were that different. Turning bars instead of leaning would be completely strange, I can't imagine that.

"EXTREMELY STRANGE".... ;) ...my Wife actually felt comfortable riding Trikes before I did....it was a tough learning experience for me....."Old Dog, New Tricks Syndrome"....... :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

skuuter wrote: I never snub ANYTHING that I haven't tried personally for myself..... ;) :D
I'm familiar with that way of thinking but here is another one:
Its possible to know that something just doesn't appeal to you without trying it.
Gay sex or Russian roulette are two such examples.... Trikes makes three :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I had a trike when I was 3 years old but progressed to 2 wheels soon after!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I guess I don't have as much of a problem with trikes as with the size of those engines. Half the horsepower those things put out would be more than adequate for most of them. I know. I owned a Harley Sportster for a long time and it had way more power than I needed for everyday use. In fact, my brother and I had Honda 500s or 550s (I can't remember the exact CC's since I am older than most Japanese models that first arrived in this country). He toured the whole U.S.A. on his before he went back to Canada. I raced my Sportster but 1000cc machine is a lot to handle and not necessary for everyday use. 500 or 550 is just about right. I love the Burgman 400 I have now but think the 650 would be great if I toured a lot. Even the Silver Wing would be great for touring. But that would be about as high as I think they should go. I know, To Each Their Own. Still, how much is too much??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I agree, Mel. Too many people like too much power. I have a really good friend I ride with very often, and he has a 1250cc Suzuki Bandit. It's a great bike, beautiful and fun to ride, but I can keep with him on everything but the highway on my 250cc Nighthawk.

Even still, these bikes do need more power simply because of weight. A full Goldwing trike weighs almost as much as my car! (my cage is a Honda Fit)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nice! I think it's so cool to see groups of similar bikes (trike, vespa, PCX's etc.) not to mention same color. Look at all the Red! All in one place! Do you think they saw you guys coming 'n going? :lol: Seeing a GoldWing on an iPad and seeing one in person is....Wow, so much Bigger! My neighbor had one in Florida, definitely looked the size of a VW Beetle so why not add the rear-end :oops: to one? As the one shown above. Thanks for sharing the trike ride skuuter!
This is a trike I tested in a FL dealership lot a 2009 Ridley automatic. It was a bit intimidating in the small lots turns, but I bet (a different kind of) fun if given the time to get acquainted :P A one sweater, trunk in back, & the color I rode? yeah....White 8) glad I "heard" the muffler, sweet :D
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.82 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

gn2 wrote:
skuuter wrote: I never snub ANYTHING that I haven't tried personally for myself..... ;) :D
I'm familiar with that way of thinking but here is another one:
Its possible to know that something just doesn't appeal to you without trying it.
Gay sex or Russian roulette are two such examples.... Trikes makes three :lol:

....... :lol: :lol: :lol: