Birmingham to Scotland and back again on our Honda PCX

Meetups, rallies, or scooter-related events.

Moderator: Modsquad

Lynny74

Birmingham to Scotland and back again on our Honda PCX

Post by Lynny74 »

Next year me and my hubby are going to drive from Birmingham to Scotland and back again.

I have a White HONDA PCX
My hubby has a Black HONDA PCX

They look like Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper when together :lol:

Places we are going to stop off at are

Cleethorpes
York
Edinburgh
Aberdeenshire
Inverness
Fort William
Kendal
Heysham
Blackpool

Then home again

Can't wait, we are doing a blog about it but I will keep you posted about planning etc on here.

If anyone has any tips or ideas or has done a journey on a PCX that is approx 1200 miles over a two week period let me know.
Lynny

White Honda PCX Owner

hondapcx.tumbler.com

Code: Select all

www.blueeyescomputersuk.co.uk
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Birmingham to Scotland and back again on our Honda PCX

Post by gn2 »

The only thing I would suggest is get something bigger.
A journey like that on a PCX would be absolutely no fun whatsoever.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I dont know. If you stay off the motorways/major roads and are not in a hurry each day, it will be fine. Are you camping and will have much gear to carry? There are several threads on this forum of those doing long trips including Snoopy ( http://andrewcharnley.com/ ) who setoff RTW on his PCX and got 1/4 of the way before switching to bicycles.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

I crossed the U.S. continent 3 times on a bicycle. Once in 1974 with a guy friend, then I got married in 1975 so my wife and I did the trip in 1976, and again in 1978. That trip in 1978 ended up in Alaska. We averaged 80 miles a day, living out of a tent. My rear end had temporary nerve damage that lasted for a few weeks after each trip. I couldn't feel as much of what a man likes to feel, if you know what I mean, because of numbness.
Oh, what comfort a PCX seat is by comparison!
Sure, the PCX design intent may not be to spend all day long at highway speeds for days on end. But not all long distance multi-day trips have to consist of long, all day rides. I could imagine touring on a PCX, with the intention to take it slow enough to enjoy the experience.

I think you'll have a great time, and I look forward to hearing about your trip.
Lynny74

Post by Lynny74 »

It's not a one day journey! We are staying at the the places listed so about two weeks.

Staying at B & B's cheap hotels like Travelodge etc..

We have to keep off motorways as we are riding on CBT's only but we are both mature riders. I am 39 and 2 months and hubby is 53 10/12's :lol: Between us we have over 10 year plus riding experience.

Motorways are boring, how many Ye Olde Inn's can one stop at on the motorway on a hot June day for a tall cold glass of lemonade?

We will average 135 miles a day through country road and cities. Its a challenge before we are to old and decrepit...

We did Wales and back in a weekend about 3 years ago but on cheap Chinese bikes we did about 175 miles one of the days, 30 miles of that was in the wrong direction but hay ho it's fun getting lost and discovering places.
Lynny

White Honda PCX Owner

hondapcx.tumbler.com

Code: Select all

www.blueeyescomputersuk.co.uk
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

I started to go around the UK coast last year but abandoned the trip due to weather and the need for a service and drive belt. The PCX is easily capable of the trip you're planning. The main problem you have is the small fuel tank and getting a numb bum if you ride for too long without a decent break - I did 500 or so miles in 13 hours only stopping to refuel when needed and my backside suffered o_O I think as long as you stick to twisty roads your backsides shouldn't suffer too much.
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

It looks like a good trip! :)

The link to your blog is wrong, by the way. It's 'tumblr' without the 'e' :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Sounds like a great time! I've taken my PCX on several long trips, and cherished every one. Make sure to post up pictures after you go! :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes