PCX in the Smokey Mountains (pic heavy)

Meetups, rallies, or scooter-related events.

Moderator: Modsquad

Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX in the Smokey Mountains (pic heavy)

Post by Shoe »

skuuter wrote:Next time You're riding the road to Cades Cove, turn and go out to Tremont. The road will finally become gravel, but will give way to a great area for photos....!!!...and over on 32 past Cosby, continue on the road after it becomes gravel, it will take You (after about 23 miles) to the Elk Herd, and spit You out on the super narrow, super twisty (curves posted at 5mph) paved Lost Cave Cove Road. You'll come out in Maggie Valley, North Carolina..... 8)
Thanks Skuuter

I went back about a month ago and stayed in Townsend this time. Some kind of Golf Community just west of Town. I did ride Tremont past the Institute. Too bad the road was trashed from all rain prior to our arrival. All the rivers were still way up, but the weather was decent for us.

I have some additional photos. It looks much better with foliage...lol (and much warmer riding) 8) We took the cager down the Parkway and through the dragon. I wanted to ride, but our day trip took us around Fontana into Cherokee and over Newfound back to Townsend. It would have been too much for my wife.

That Dragon is insane! Guys doing 50+ around those twisties. :o I just moved over and let them have their fun (then we saw the Tree of Shame!!!!) Yipes!
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Awesome ride report Shoe! My wife and I love riding in that area, we try to get down there at least twice a year. We're going again in about a month. We always stay in the Fontana NC area.
skuuter wrote:Next time You're riding the road to Cades Cove, turn and go out to Tremont. The road will finally become gravel, but will give way to a great area for photos....!!!...and over on 32 past Cosby, continue on the road after it becomes gravel, it will take You (after about 23 miles) to the Elk Herd, and spit You out on the super narrow, super twisty (curves posted at 5mph) paved Lost Cave Cove Road. You'll come out in Maggie Valley, North Carolina..... 8)
skuuter - I've been wearing out Google maps trying to figure out a good way to get from Cosby TN (via 32) to anywhere that doesn't include I-40. (terrifying o_O ) I'll see if I can find Lost Cave Cove Road. Thanks. :)
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Lagerhead wrote:Awesome ride report Shoe! My wife and I love riding in that area, we try to get down there at least twice a year. We're going again in about a month. We always stay in the Fontana NC area.
skuuter - I've been wearing out Google maps trying to figure out a good way to get from Cosby TN (via 32) to anywhere that doesn't include I-40. (terrifying o_O ) I'll see if I can find Lost Cave Cove Road. Thanks. :)

I have no maps with it either.... :D ...if You run the Road, it will become gravel....You'll wind up in the Cataloochie Wildlife Area where the Elk Herd is....I'll find some Pics shot from the back of Our Gold Wing Trike by my Wife and post Them. You will eventually come out right beside I-40 on Hwy 276 in the Cove Creek Area of Maggie Valley. The Folks that own most of the Property in the Area have fought paving the roads for years...the gravel is a discouragement to Tourists. Same here for Our Gravel Roads around Lynchburg..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

That there gravel is to slow down the tourists so mountain folk can do what they will to those tourists! Or is that just in the Appalachians?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:That there gravel is to slow down the tourists so mountain folk can do what they will to those tourists! Or is that just in the Appalachians?
Skweel like a piggy boy
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

^^^^^^^.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Wow, these gorgeous pix took me down memory road.
I camped at Dupont Lodge zillions of years ago ... really beautiful area.
I'm jealous, Volunteers!!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400