FEEDTHEDOG.ORG Ride

Meetups, rallies, or scooter-related events.

Moderator: Modsquad

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

FEEDTHEDOG.ORG Ride

Post by GeorgeSK »

So I saw a sign at a local shop for a charity ride. The cause was to support service dogs for disabled/PTSD'd veterans. I checked out the charity - a one lady enterprise who is trying to fill a huge hole by providing pet food and specialized equipment to veterans who cannot afford some of this stuff. The ride would kick off at an American Legion post not far away. The day was perfect -we decided to go.

Everyone who spoke with us was extremely friendly, despite our being seriously weird at this event. There were a bit over 100 bikes, mostly Harleys, a couple of Indians, a Victory, a Goldwing, some huge BMW, a Cam-AM, and a little red Forza.
Big Scootie with the big dogs.jpg
Big Scootie with the big dogs.jpg (299.6 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
I think there were maybe two passengers with full face helmets, and we were the only ones without black leather. Nobody needed no Hi-Viz - that's for sure. There was a fair amount of squidding going on, but nobody gave us any crap - just support for supporting the cause.

This was my first group ride, and these guys made it easy. I don't think they were trying to be helpful, but riding safe seemed to be job one. It is possible that riding loud was job two, but I'm not sure. I had lots of room, but did find that riding in that close proximity for that long (50 miles) was a bit more stressful than a normal ride. All in all though, a great experience.

One of the take-aways was that, on average, 22 veterans commit suicide every day. This one tiny organization cannot fix the problem, but setting up someone with a support dog (seizure detection, wheelchair pulling, or just emotional support) nibbles away at the problem, and seems to be worthy of support. Check them out if you are so inclined.

http://www.feedthedog.org/
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: FEEDTHEDOG.ORG Ride

Post by kramnala58 »

Great post. Thanks for sharing about your experience.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Little red FORZA not so little in that picture..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Good Job! We need more organizations like that. Veterans are not throw away commodities.
Too many of them come back from combat totally messed up physically and/or emotionally. We are raised understanding that killing people is wrong. Then we are thrown into a place where life means nothing, and killing is a daily thing. We see women and children used as weapons against us, and yet we see poverty and ignorance as well, and we have to fight the urge to help them until we can determine if they are safe. It really messes with your mind and your heart.
We come back to this country and feel out of place, and the guilt is extreme.

....and then they are left to their own devices by our government instead of helping them. It becomes the community's responsibility to help them, but we do not have the training or resources. These rides are our contribution. Thank you for helping.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Yes Mel politicians like to play high stakes chess qames and chest pound with human lives instead of pawns, what they claim to be our heros ,in reality is nothing more than fotter to them . Lets hope" Nero" keeps it cool.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Just keep in mind that places like North Korea, and groups like ISIS want to harm us, and no matter what the cost, they feel that they have a right to. We can only help our own and leave everything else to others. Right now, our heroes need our help. That is all we can do within our control.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I have deep respect for all our fighting men and women .. In fact my son has fought two tours over there. However I do have a problem with the term hero. I think we use that term too loosely these days .. I would prefer to call the folks protecting us as professionals. To me a hero is a person coming home from church walking down a street sees a house on fire and rushes in to save a child or family would be a hero. When one signs up for a job that clearly states on the application expect injury and death takes on a dangerous profession , much like welders, high bridge builders etc. You sign up for what you get. You are then a professional soldier or professional policeman paid for a dangerous service that you chose as your profession.Our chess move that has only gained us a lot of wounded veterans and little more. After 17 years of killing and wounding we have accomplished literally nothing but made more closet enemies that will evolve over time. And you are soo right..we need to fully and completely take care of all our injured veterans, police officers , and bridge builders.. how the powers play chess is out of our hands
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:I have deep respect for all our fighting men and women .. In fact my son has fought two tours over there. However I do have a problem with the term hero. I think we use that term too loosely these days .. I would prefer to call the folks protecting us as professionals. To me a hero is a person coming home from church walking down a street sees a house on fire and rushes in to save a child or family would be a hero. When one signs up for a job that clearly states on the application expect injury and death takes on a dangerous profession , much like welders, high bridge builders etc. You sign up for what you get. You are then a professional soldier or professional policeman paid for a dangerous service that you chose as your profession.Our chess move that has only gained us a lot of wounded veterans and little more. After 17 years of killing and wounding we have accomplished literally nothing but made more closet enemies that will evolve over time. And you are soo right..we need to fully and completely take care of all our injured veterans, police officers , and bridge builders.. how the powers play chess is out of our hands

Well said.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think you are right in saying that they should be called professionals. I spent 12 years of my life saving lives while in the Coast Guard, and I never thought of myself as a hero. To me, the smiles and "Thank You" that I got from the people I rescued was payment enough for saving them. I was well trained and I knew the risks when I joined.

However, many who join do not truly know the dangers these days. As one of my disillusioned grandsons said when he joined the Army, "I joined because I want to go out there and kick some butt". They obviously don't think that their enemy joined for the same reason. I have 3 grandsons in the Army right now, and one of them flies Apache helicopters. He joined because he wanted to fly helos like grandpa. Big difference. He is flying a war machine and the enemy likes to shoot at them. How many others had the same Reasoning? There is no reset button on war. Just a lot of pain and death. Neither would be necessary if there weren't so many who leaders were greedy for what others have.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks for participating in that!

I donate for Veterans as well but haven't done one of those charity rides yet.

I also donate to a Farm that rescues horses and other animals.

The charity rides where I live consist mostly HD owners too. But cheers to all those. . .whatever they ride. . .for supporting Veterans.

Pets really do make a difference in people's lives. I'm on my own now and have a "Sylvester" type cat and for the 1/5th of the time he is a PITA or tries to claw apart the furniture he's great to have around. Always greets me at the door with enthusiasm and never misses the litter box. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I think you are right in saying that they should be called professionals. I spent 12 years of my life saving lives while in the Coast Guard, and I never thought of myself as a hero. To me, the smiles and "Thank You" that I got from the people I rescued was payment enough for saving them. I was well trained and I knew the risks when I joined.

However, many who join do not truly know the dangers these days. As one of my disillusioned grandsons said when he joined the Army, "I joined because I want to go out there and kick some butt". They obviously don't think that their enemy joined for the same reason. I have 3 grandsons in the Army right now, and one of them flies Apache helicopters. He joined because he wanted to fly helos like grandpa. Big difference. He is flying a war machine and the enemy likes to shoot at them. How many others had the same Reasoning? There is no reset button on war. Just a lot of pain and death. Neither would be necessary if there weren't so many who leaders were greedy for what others have.
Mel. First post I have ever read to my wife. Hats off to you.