1st time scooter owner

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: 1st time scooter owner

Post by homie »

tink wrote: 2 pairs of boots & haven't even got a helmet yet! Maybe I'll have to pick up another armoire... *shrugs*
Shoes get you girls every time :lol: I can't get into my bedroom closet for all the shoes to trip over so I moved to the garage :roll: Now about boots, there is nasty stuff found at stop lights and parking lots that you really need a non-slip sole. I wear combat boots sometimes but they really don't have the high tech soles you need to cut through wet oil at a stop light. Most of us know that moment when you drop your foot you need to be ready for anything.

The Bates riding boot was recommended to me by a female Harley rider as excellent, but not over priced traction with comfort. I bought a pair because riding boots can range all over the place with scary prices and was pleasantly surprised even when you step in oil. They do not slip around like most footwear and to be honest I don't know why.

http://tacticalgear.com/bates-footwear? ... oCQAvw_wcB
Attachments
boots.jpg
boots.jpg (218.92 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
tink
Year: 2017
Color: Pearl Blue

Post by tink »

ooooh thanks Homie! It'd be great to have bumps like those! I know a boot/shoe sole fixing guy about 2 miles away, going to take in my new boots when I get them & see if he can add those bumps :) I actually met him over the weekend looking for options to thicken soles, and he can do it, a max of about 2" he said. Then he showed me they can't be cheap boots to begin with, they have to have soles originally constructed in true layers, not molded as a single piece. Well, I have 1" cheap bottom boots now, getting 2" cheap bottom boots in the mail. Then I'll take both pairs in to him with that pic and see if he can add on bumps/grips of some sort. I bet he can.

My main problem is I absolutely have to have a heel of some sort. Unless I go full platform style... The boot man kept asking 'no heel'? uh-oh lol. Well not if I buy the boots from him, his don't have heels. Confusing but will make something good happen! Stripper type platform / combat boot tread combo with soccer shoe sole accents, in a full leather boot, why not? hahaha!!! (oh so much don't like being short)

Still looking for seat mods / aftermarket that are even just an inch lower in the front humpy part. I don't care if I lose storage under the seat. Looking at youtube vids it is possible and doesn't look too hard to custom make a seat with fiberglass... really would like a seat of a wrecked scooter to have something to start to play with though so I don't mess up the brand new seat on the scooter now. But boots first, then I'll know if the seat actually *needs* to be changed.
here to learn how to have more fun & stay alive
I'm 5'1": http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2102
8/11/2107= 0 miles
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

http://cycle-ergo.com/

According to this you (5'1" - 26-28 inseam) will be on your toes at at every stop with a 2015-17 Honda PCX (use the options tab to see your footing) Knowing this you'll want good rubber on the toe of whatever footwear. If you can get platforms custom to stand flat footed on your new bike that would be interesting. The custom seats you want to avoid custom shoes might be a problem because most are looking for more padding not less on PCX. Someone will link you to low profile seats if there are any available i'm sure.
tink

Post by tink »

"If you can get platforms custom to stand flat footed on your new bike that would be interesting."
-- that's what I'm aiming for yep!

I have bookmarked a few platform combat boot options & found where someone mentioned ranger 301 boots also that they got for their wife (http://www.amazon.com/Pleaser-Womens-Ra ... B002A9ET06) but I wasn't thrilled with those. The boot guy in town can add up to 2" he says for $80 a sole I think it's $80 per inch of added height per boot/shoe. I'm basically collecting boots to take in to him to see what he can do IF none of the boots I find do the trick for making feel comfy with enough of my feet on the pavement.

I can lean just a little bit with the boots I got Sunday & hit one foot on the ground flat including that it has a bit of a heel like the pic above, but it's not quite enough for me, so the 2nd pair have thicker soles (will have to take pics when they get here, the online pics suck for them).

This boot guy takes off the very bottom (tread) sole layer that are original to the boots, adds in some sort of black material & puts back on the sole. He also has full soles like with combat type tread that he puts on boots/shoes also, so thinking I don't have to be 'too' picky about the original grip of a boot sole, he can just change that too if need be, but the original boot sole layers have to be layers, not solid --- sorry I don't know how to explain it better.

I promise to take pics to show what I end up with that works, because I definitely will make something work that feels good & safe.
8/11/2107= 0 miles
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

Just wow!

So welcome aboard, Tink!

If I haven't mentioned it yet, please add yourself to the Owner's Map. Instructions below.

Glad to have you, and just get out and ride.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
tink

Post by tink »

*Waves to Ishkabibble*

Thank you for the welcome :)

Oh okay yes I'll have to figure out the map, never saw it before so thanks!

Aww, I can hardly wait to get out and ride... the knowledge test for the permit to ride here is scheduled for Monday 8/22 so not much longer to wait. Eeks I'll be studying like its finals in college just to be sure I pass.

I'm going to pick up a lot of kids sidewalk chalk as soon as I get my permit and start making little marks & lines on my street, ha! My neighbors will think I've really gone off the deep end this time, LOL! But I want to practice u-turns & swerving & stopping & such ASAP. I live in a cul-de-sac type area so there's very very little traffic. There's also a school only 2 blocks away with big parking lots for practicing too but it's up a little hill so I'll wait a bit to go there.

If I remember right, the specs say the turning radius can be 6.5 feet... it's going to take a lot of practice to not put my foot down LOL! I am really looking forward to practicing slow turning & slow u-turns so I won't have to walk the scooter backwards very often :) It's all so exciting!
8/11/2107= 0 miles
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

As a short-legged female (inseam around 28-29 in) it isn't important to get your heals down, just a solid toehold. Especially on the PCX, which isn't that top-heavy.

Platform soles can be a problem--you can twist your ankles more easily.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

tink wrote:the knowledge test for the permit to ride here is scheduled for Monday 8/22 so not much longer to wait. If I remember right, the specs say the turning radius can be 6.5 feet... it's going to take a lot of practice to not put my foot down
After you learn to put a scooter through the course the hard way I will tell you a simple trick that brings the twist-n-go's to a crawl between the cones and turns. Not cheating, as the officer can't stop you from doing it even if he notices, but you will make the course look too easy.

Here's a clue... you can't do it with a clutch bike :lol:
tink

Post by tink »

Thanks bunches for the heel comment, will make perfectly sure I get a solid toehold, the scooter's so shiny I'd like to keep it that way :) Hmm, I'll make a point of being sure the boot modifying guy understands that if he doesn't just automatically get it.

Yeah the ankle twisting sounds bad, trying to find a balance between everything, boot height, seat lowering, mmmaybe shocks but hate to mess with factory settings having to do with suspension unless there really is no other option. Of course will update with how it goes. I wish we could drive to the UPS warehouse & just go get the boots instead of waiting for the truck to be loaded & sent out tomorrow. I really need to make friends in logistics!

Oooh a clue? as in just let off the throttle? no way. really? can't be, do tell pretty please!!!
8/11/2107= 0 miles
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

I'm a shorter person also and found the PCX somewhat awkward when it came to placing your feet a a stop
so I discarded most of the mid bike plastics including the stock footrests-way lot easier to work on
plus foot placing became more natural
instead of throwing your feet outward to place them allowed me a more natural way of just letting them drop
to find the ground. Most cycles allow you to take your feet of pegs and find ground
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

tink wrote: Oooh a clue? as in just let off the throttle? no way. really? can't be, do tell pretty please!!!
Ok but but you should still learn to manage tight slow turns without this. Ride the left brake lever whilst accelerating and you will get INCREDIBLE control of the PCX in tight corners and slaloms. Kinda like you set the throttle and use the brake to manage the tightest turns. When you set up your practice area try it and see if dosent make you an instant pro 8)
tink

Post by tink »

WOW great tips !!!

Hm, now I have more homework to do but glad to do it! You said 'stock' footrests so maybe there's some aftermarket ones as part of a kit or something? I'll look at pics and see what's out there. I WILL find a way to make do with it as-is, but eventually comfortably dropping my feet down like on a bike with pegs sounds a lot easier. Thank you ever so much for the ideas I'm adding them to the list just started a few hours ago.

For the 1st time ever I'm having fun being a rookie. If this is part of what going through a mid-life crisis feels like, I wish I'd done it a lot sooner, lol, all fun work instead of stressful work!
8/11/2107= 0 miles
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

your Mastiff is cracking me up... I assume that's your dog
tink

Post by tink »

Yeah, she is my dream come true dog, she's got one heck of a personality lol. Went with her instincts and just as soon as the scooter was up in the driveway she smelled the back end of it. I couldn't believe it lol so took a pic.

She's 1/2 mastiff/johnson type pit mutt & 1/2 purebred boxer and the best friend/sidekick I ever had, means the world to me, sticks to me like glue 24/7. Best damn smartest sweetest most alert obedient dog I ever had or heard about... she's my everything & stays involved in every thing I do no matter what it is she helps. 2 yrs. 4 mos. old been with me 24/7 since she was 6weeks old (other than going in to grocery stores). She lays down by the scooter's front tire a lot, like she knows I'll be actually leaving to go places without her.

I should start putting treats under the seat for her so she learns to like the scooter! Wow just thought of that!

I seriously wish there was a way to take her with me on it, but between 75-80 pounds I don't know how that's possible. When I get good enough for real road trips I'll most likely get her a puppy dog friend to keep her company while I'm gone... or upgrade to something that can have a sidecar... or whatever I come up with by then ;)
8/11/2107= 0 miles
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

relic wrote:I'm a shorter person also and found the PCX somewhat awkward when it came to placing your feet a stop
so I discarded most of the mid bike plastics including the stock footrests-way lot easier to work on
plus foot placing became more natural
instead of throwing your feet outward to place them allowed me a more natural way of just letting them drop
to find the ground. Most cycles allow you to take your feet of pegs and find ground
Chief says " that be a real piece of crap to show up at a rally on" I apologize for Chief
Attachments
mac&chief2.jpg
mac&chief2.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
cropped.jpg
cropped.jpg (94.84 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
tink

Post by tink »

So while looking at low profile seats I ran across some DIY seatpan vids on youtube, searched more, found some had used mesh metal to shape seats and then covered with fiberglass mesh & epoxy stuff, and others had hammered out varying thicknesses of sheet metal... so if worse comes to worse I can make my own 'lower profile' seat, add padding as needed & cover up with any good fabric material. It doesn't look all that hard. Figured I'd throw that out there for any other *short* person lol or those who wish to remove humps & bumps. You don't have to use the same plastic base and just shave off foam padding. Youtube is awesome :)

Lowes.com has 2'x3' sheet metal (for practice hammering/bending out shapes since it's thin gauge) at just under $10. 3' is not quite long enough to span front to back with any real features but good place to start for seeing how it feels to work with on the cheap.

Still waiting on the boots delivery & cleaning out the shed on a ~100 degree day is slow work.
8/11/2107= 0 miles
tink

Post by tink »

Ok the boots came, they are WAY Better than the other boots, not in quality idk but in height for sure! I could ride it like this. With these on I barely barely have to lean the bike to get one foot all the way flat. There's like maybe 1/2" an inch to BOTH feet soles touching at the same time. Can easily & comfortably get one foot all the way flat or touch front of feet both at the same time barely. I could definitely feel safe practicing with these, but for the rainy season that's coming I'd want to go just a tad thicker.

Pic is of old & new. The new is thicker under the front part of the boot, where I really need it. and the heel rise isn't as tall also, which is easier to walk around in. The only real downside is these run a tad bit, so I could have /should have/ gotten a size 6.5 instead of 7. IDK for sure yet since I'm not wearing socks (too hot right now).

I want to take this new pair to the boot man ASAP and see if he can make it thicker... how much thicker ? 1/2" 3/4"? Unsure... will have to wait until the boyfriend gets here after work to measure for me while I'm sitting on the scooter.

The new boots have 1 3/4" soles on them right now with the measurement of the sole thickness taken from under the front part of the boot. Hmmm. Since they ARE a little too big w/out socks maybe I'll get some gel inserts and see if that makes enough of a difference!!! If it works, I'll order more of the same boot, just in case (read: for when I crash) I crash & ruin these.
Attachments
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5031.JPG (221.58 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
8/11/2107= 0 miles
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Maybe put down scraps of plywood, thus giving you known thicknesses, until you have what you are comfortable with.

I cannot recommend highly enough that you take an MSF course. You will get a break on insurance and you will get the license certification without having to deal with the registry. More importantly, you will learn some safety stuff that will maybe keep you off Homie's list.

Welcome aboard!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Dang woman! You do know a cobbler :lol:
We've had a couple capable female riders in here over the years and you are shaping up to be one. I expect to see good things from you in the future. Maybe you WILL redesign a seat or drop the shocks on your PCX. I'm not underestimating you from this day forward, nope you're a keeper. Say hello to the BF for me and give that Mastiff a big o'l bone.

Yes, the crash list is not a badge of honor... we need to stay off of it for sure ;)

It's been threatening rain all day today in Chicagoland, I'm going to risk getting the precious wet.
I need to get out... LETS RIDE!
tink

Post by tink »

Yep wood/foam, etc., yep yep I think so, too, George. Definitely need to do something a little 'more' to be able to stop 100% safely in the rainy season but for now it should be fine - will know for sure after the written test on Monday, take her out on Tuesday and play w/her a bit taking off/stopping, repeat all day ha! I'm pretty sure it'll be the most fun I've ever had under 10mph.

Oh will see about adding bumps to the soles of the boots, too before it rains. Whatever the boot guy "cobbler" (yes Homie thank you, that's the proper term) thinks he can do to give the boots the best traction / grip possible. People who are professionals in whatever they do do know best of course.

Thanks for the kudos, I'm determined to become 1 with the scooter sooner than later. Been telling the BF all the forum threads, including this one, and driving him nuts with my enthusiasm as usual haha! You'd think he'd be used to it by now. The dog will be spoiled yes, good idea always ;)

Stay safe in the water!!!

ps. I'll see about that safety course just as soon as I'm done riding like a complete idiot ~ I'm still in the phase where I have to look down to see where the kickstand is & have a giant bruise on my leg from it, too!
8/11/2107= 0 miles