New 2016 PCX150 owner

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

bigmike7801
Year: 2016
Color: Dark Candy Red

New 2016 PCX150 owner

Post by bigmike7801 »

Just had my new 2016 Dark Candy Red delivered yesterday.

This is my second scooter. I sold my 2007 Genuine Buddy 125 last year.

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: New 2016 PCX150 owner

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to hondapcx.org

I really like that color of red. Thanks for the pics.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Welcome Big Mike,

Nice PCX, nice Buddy (I had a Pamplona) and nice name!

What are your plans for that beautiful red thing?

Mike (does this make me "little" Mike?)
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Wingscribe wrote:Welcome Big Mike,

Nice PCX, nice Buddy (I had a Pamplona) and nice name!

What are your plans for that beautiful red thing?

Mike (does this make me "little" Mike?)
Hey, did you used to frequent the Modern Buddy forum? I seem to remember you username and avatar.

I'm not really sure what my plans are yet.

There's two things that bug me about the PCX that I would like to address at some point.

1. I wish the turn signals made an audible clicking noise like a lot of other scooters do such as the Zumas, Buddys etc... The reason being is that I find myself accidentally leaving the turn signal on after I have made the turn because I don't hear the clicking noise to remind me that it's still on.

2. I want a louder exhaust. This is more of a safety reason though. I just want the added protection of people and cars being able to hear me. The PCX is so freaking quiet!
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

I've read somewhere (and I can't remember where, because it isn't a concern for me) that there are aftermarket relays that have the audible click as a feature. I personally haven't yet had that problem, and I find the "touch the button" to turn off the turn signal a really great feature. I'm sure I'll leave the thing on at some time, but it's part of my situational awareness scheme to make sure I turn off the signal when completing a turn, but that's just me.

Yeah, it is pretty quiet. I do agree that a somewhat louder exhaust might add to the cues for people on four wheels to notice us who are on two. If the bright neon high-viz helmet I have doesn't get their attention, I don't know what would. I'd guess since their attention is either focused on the phone they're playing with, or the music blaring from their radios, they probably aren't going to hear anything short of a fire truck right behind them, which I've seen them be surprised by, when it gets right up on them and blows that 130 db horn.

I haven't seen the '16s yet, until this post. I'd call that color "Burgundy" but I like it.

Safe riding!
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Ishkabibble wrote:I've read somewhere (and I can't remember where, because it isn't a concern for me) that there are aftermarket relays that have the audible click as a feature. I personally haven't yet had that problem, and I find the "touch the button" to turn off the turn signal a really great feature. I'm sure I'll leave the thing on at some time, but it's part of my situational awareness scheme to make sure I turn off the signal when completing a turn, but that's just me.

Yeah, it is pretty quiet. I do agree that a somewhat louder exhaust might add to the cues for people on four wheels to notice us who are on two. If the bright neon high-viz helmet I have doesn't get their attention, I don't know what would. I'd guess since their attention is either focused on the phone they're playing with, or the music blaring from their radios, they probably aren't going to hear anything short of a fire truck right behind them, which I've seen them be surprised by, when it gets right up on them and blows that 130 db horn.

I haven't seen the '16s yet, until this post. I'd call that color "Burgundy" but I like it.

Safe riding!
I agree, it looks more like "Burgundy" in this picture, however in direct sunlight it brings out a much warmer color. This picture was taken in a shaded area. I personally prefer the white color myself, however they only offered the Steel Grey and Dark Candy Red colors for the 2016 models.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I love that red. It is definitely different than the red on our 2013 bikes. It is a beautiful bike, and the updates they did after the 2013 model have helped it, though I understand that they did something to the gearing that lower its top end. Still, for an around town scooter, it is nice looking.
For any of those who are new to riding, or at least to riding the PCX, the easy way to turn off your blinker after you have made a turn is to just press the switch in the middle. It will cancel it without you having to find the center to turn it off. My motorcycles had this feature but for some reason I have found scooter riders who did not know this.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Mel46 wrote:I love that red. It is definitely different than the red on our 2013 bikes. It is a beautiful bike, and the updates they did after the 2013 model have helped it, though I understand that they did something to the gearing that lower its top end. Still, for an around town scooter, it is nice looking.
For any of those who are new to riding, or at least to riding the PCX, the easy way to turn off your blinker after you have made a turn is to just press the switch in the middle. It will cancel it without you having to find the center to turn it off. My motorcycles had this feature but for some reason I have found scooter riders who did not know this.

Yes I know how to turn off the blinker, the issue I have is REMEMBERING to turn off the blinker ;)

On many other scooters, the blinkers have a loud audible clicking sound when they're turned on so after I make a turn, I would hear the clicking in case I forgot to turn them off. On the PCX, I find that I forget to turn them off some times. Not a big deal, just something I'll have to get used to.

I need to see what the 2013 and 2016 PCX reds look like side by side.
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Wingscribe »

Big Mike,

You are absolutely correct...nice to know that I am continuing my level of subtlety...

I would love a turn signal volume boost..now, how to do that effectively...

Good to have you here,

Mike (the small one)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Now that Red would turn my head at the dealer.
A 2016 Dark Candy Red,....yeah it Rocks!
Welcome aboard to the two of you! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Now that Red would turn my head at the dealer.
They actually only had the Steel Grey in stock and ordered the Dark Candy Red for me. It was supposed to take a week to get in so they were going to give me free delivery. It actually came in within 2 days and I still got the free delivery!

I honestly think I like the White better for the simple fact that there's a lot you can do with it in terms of graphics and decals.
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

bigmike7801 wrote:
They actually only had the Steel Grey in stock and ordered the Dark Candy Red for me. It was supposed to take a week to get in so they were going to give me free delivery. It actually came in within 2 days and I still got the free delivery!

I honestly think I like the White better for the simple fact that there's a lot you can do with it in terms of graphics and decals.
After I read your post above, I went to the Honda site and looked at that Steel Grey, and man, I'd have had a really tough time not riding it out of the dealership. I absolutely love that color. Not as fast as white, for sure, but I do love it. Maybe someday when my accountant lets me upgrade, I'll get something like this!

Oh, and I meant to ask you about your "forgetting to turn off the turn signal" when you complete a turn. Is there something distracting you from maintaining adequate situational awareness in the operation of the bike while you're riding? I get why an audible clicking would be a good prompt, but if you're riding with appropriate concentration on the safe operation of the scoot, and maintaining appropriate situational awareness of the environment around you (including those people on phones in their giant SUVs) how can you not remember to turn it off when you're completing the turn?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just trying to understand the thinking process of others. ;)
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is easy enough to forget to turn off the turn signal after a turn. As an example of what goes on that can distract a rider while turning, I had this happen a few times while my wife and I were riding. There is a light near our home that allows two vehicles to turn left at the same time. There have been quite a few occasions when we were on the inside lane with a large (think Chevy Suburban Extended Edition) SUV to our right. As we were in the turn the SUV, with the driver on a cell phone, drifted into our lane and forced us to not only use the horn continuously but to also try evasive action to avoid being hit by them. At some point we would finally be out of danger, after speeding up while watching the SUV in our mirrors (with the female driver still on the cell phone while turning around to talk to her children). With all that was going on, and with us trying not to be hit, we left our turn signals on. Luckily we ride staggered, so we have a signal to let the other know that their turn signal is still on. Most riders don't have that, so it would be easy enough to forget. I can't tell you how many times a large SUV has almost run over us around here because the driver was not paying attention. I truly believe that they buy these huge vehicles so that they don't have to be as observant while driving. That situation seems to say, "I am the biggest car on the road. Let everyone else watch out for me, because I am not going to watch out for them". We are the smallest, so we do just that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Ishkabibble wrote:
bigmike7801 wrote:

After I read your post above, I went to the Honda site and looked at that Steel Grey, and man, I'd have had a really tough time not riding it out of the dealership. I absolutely love that color. Not as fast as white, for sure, but I do love it. Maybe someday when my accountant lets me upgrade, I'll get something like this!

Oh, and I meant to ask you about your "forgetting to turn off the turn signal" when you complete a turn. Is there something distracting you from maintaining adequate situational awareness in the operation of the bike while you're riding? I get why an audible clicking would be a good prompt, but if you're riding with appropriate concentration on the safe operation of the scoot, and maintaining appropriate situational awareness of the environment around you (including those people on phones in their giant SUVs) how can you not remember to turn it off when you're completing the turn?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just trying to understand the thinking process of others. ;)
It's not that I'm distracted from maintaining adequate situational awareness, it's the fact that every scooter I've ever owned/driven has always had an audible clicking for the signals and so I guess that's just what I have gotten used to. Now after driving my PCX for a couple of days and putting on about 30 miles, I've noticed that I haven't had a problem canceling the signals after making a turn like I thought I might. That being said, i still would prefer if it made the clicking noise because I like it ;)

On a side note, here is the Steel Grey PCX150 I test drove.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Some like turn signal noise. I find it irritating. Just saying. NY/LI areas are noisy enuff!

Using any turn signals is a matter of (what the MSF instructor's call), "Muscle Memory."
Use your turn signals "consistently" for every turn (yes, even in those areas where you're totally alone on the road)...and it will come naturally. On/Cancel/Off. You'll do it automatically. No cheating though, just keep Doing it :ugeek:

Somewhere on some forum (maybe here?), I read of installing a mirror so it could reflect the blinking signal light. :? That reflection would then catch your eye and remind you to turn the switch/signal off.
The things folks come up with.
I'm not a fan. Mirrors can reflect other things too...like bright blinding sun-light. Yikes! Maybe sizzle up or melt the dash screen? I don't know and...
....I don't care. Wow, That's! putting it bluntly :lol:
Crazy. I will think of this No More :D

Wait a minnie!! Is it me? A member did write of setting up a signal noise. Do you remember that? Who was it? Please step forward if you did so and succeeded. There is hope yet member bigmike!
We'll see (maybe hear too?) 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

One other thing I've found a bit annoying is that the turn signals and horn button are flip-flopped from what I'm used to. The horn location feels weird to me but it's probably that "muscle memory" you were iluding to.
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Wingscribe »

BigMike

You have all the signs of PCX/Buddy confusion...a malady I have suffered from breifly.

This too shall pass.

I still can't find the horn on a bet, but I no longer hit it when I am trying to change lanes...so, there's that.

Mike