My PCX

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: My PCX

Post by gn2 »

JGC wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Woolley wrote: HID kit which is very pricey.
It would be illegal to fit one to a PCX and ride it on UK roads.
You are not allowed to retro-fit HID kits to any vehicle in the UK unless it had HID lights when it was originally manufactured.
I know of of owners on the Deauville forum who have fitted HID conversions with out any legal issues. I believe bikes are OK to retro fit HID but it is illegal to retro fit to cars unless they have self leveling head lamps.
It is not permitted to retro fit HID lamps to any vehicle which did not have them at manufacture.
This is because there will be no EU type approval for HID lamps in that vehicle.
Unless there is type approval for HID lamps, it is illegal to fit them because under existing UK legisation they are illegal.
The only reason that HID lamps are allowed in the UK at all is because they are permitted under EU legislation which over-rules UK legislation.
If you do want to fit HID lamps you have to fit a complete new headlamp unit, it is not permitted to fit HID bulb kits into a halogen headlamp under any circumstances.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Ok, found it. Not saying this proves anything, just useful info.

Thread:
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/469110.aspx?PageIndex=1

Relevant Post:

ok people I have a reply!

Me-

"Hello,
I hope I have chosen the correct department and you can help me out. I have heard a lot of 2nd hand information about new rules coming into force for MOT testing and would like to hear it from the horses mouth!
To cut to the chase..... I have an after market HID kit fitted to the dipped beam headlights of my 2001 VW Golf into after market projector lens headlights. I believe my beam has the correct pattern but I do not have headlight washers or a self levelling system in the headlights. Question being once the new rules are fully enforced will my car fail it's MOT with HIDS fitted but no washers or levelling system? Or will it pass providing the beam pattern is correct?
Many thanks for your help"
VOSA-
"Dear Mr. Bruce

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 16th March 2012, concerning the
above.

HID lamps that have an output of less than 2000 Lumens do not need headlamp
levelling or washing. LED lamps under 2000 Lumens must have self
levelling, but do not need washing.

It is not possible for an MOT tester to determine whether or not a
particular lamp is more than 2000 Lumens or not. The MOT test therefore
uses the lowest criteria that can realistically be applied; so if a
particular vehicle is fitted with a headlamp levelling or washing system,
then we consider it logical to assume that it requires it by law and
therefore it must work ; conversely, if a vehicle is not fitted with these
systems, it would be logical to assume that they are not legally required.

DfT produce a factsheet on aftermarket HiD headlamps at
http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/d ... lamps.html although this
does not mention the 2000 lumen requirement.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have
any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,
Stephen
Customer Service Centre
VOSA Operations Directorate

Tel: 0300 123 9000"

So, MOT stations have no way of testing our lumen output so as long as your dipped headlights meet the correct beam pattern and are aimed correctly they will pass and if you do have washers and levellers they must be working.

Unfortunately the link doesn't work and I can't find the info on there site yet.

Hope this clears it up for people.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Note that the reply you got was regarding whether you needed self levelling and washing, it did not actually address the issue of whether or not it was permitted to fit them to your particular vehicle in the first place.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

i didnt actually email them, someone on uk mkiv's did. I dont have HID's. As long as they are in a projector housing (maaaaybe the H7R bulbs in a reflector housing?) and the beam pattern and colour is correct , you wont get any problems.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Woolley wrote: you wont get any problems.
Till you have a bump and the insurance company refuses to pay out because of the illegal modification...
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

I actually emailed admiral before just to see how much it would cost and i specifically asked if i would still be covered in an accident if these were fitted. They said it would be £17.50 to declare them and i would still be covered.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Note i still never bought or fitted them, im just as skeptical as you on this one. I know how evil insurance companies are all too well.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Wait, your government inspects your HEADLIGHTS to make sure they're aimed right? That's nuts. Laws are wonky across the pond. o_O
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:Wait, your government inspects your HEADLIGHTS to make sure they're aimed right? That's nuts. Laws are wonky across the pond. o_O
Yes, vehicles over three years old have to get an annual Ministry Of Transport test and you have to pay for it.
Pretty much everything gets checked, you can fail for all kinds of stupid trivia and get charged a re-test fee.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022109
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022514
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

It sounds like they are doing everything possible to discourage vehicle ownership in the UK. I thought the smog tests here were a pain, although they are phasing them out in this state because modern cars rarely fail the standards.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

After seeing many vehicles in USA I would consider death traps I am quite happy there is a yearly mot in UK to try and keep road users just that bit safer.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

rainburg wrote:It sounds like they are doing everything possible to discourage vehicle ownership in the UK.
If they are then it's definitely not working, the number of vehicles on our roads increases every year.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My PCX

Post by Woolley »

I've never failed an mot. I've only had 3 though. On 3 different cars. Helps to know the mot tester though, never even had an advisory, just tells me if something needs doing and when it'll need doing.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My PCX

Post by Woolley »

maddiedog wrote:Wait, your government inspects your HEADLIGHTS to make sure they're aimed right? That's nuts. Laws are wonky across the pond. o_O
You can fail an mot for a lot less than headlights. Some testers will fail your car if it's got a satnav stuck to the windscreen.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Woolley wrote:Some testers will fail your car if it's got a satnav stuck to the windscreen.
Quite right too.
Satnav users are nothing less than criminals and should be transported to Australia like they did back in the good old days when navigation was done with the brain.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Satnav? I think we call that a GPS in the USA, but not sure.

GN2 - :lol: Nothing less than criminals? Did a band of rogue satnav users ransack your house or something? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Yeah, a satnav is a GPS :lol: (short for satellite navigation)
To be honest im not surprised GN2 is against them, wont stop me using the tomtom app on my phone most of the time though. Seems to always know the best ways around traffic and the like.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Satnav was really invented for women who are devoid of any sense of direction.
Men should be able to find their way around, I've navigated my way all round Europe with just a Michelin map and the grey matter between my ears.

I can remember in my last job I was on nightshift at a remote rural location and about 00.30 I got a phone call from a trucker with a delivery for me.
He wanted to know my post code so that he could enter it into his satnav to get directions to my location.
He had been on satnav for the previous 100 miles and didn't have the first clue where he was, what road he was on, what way he was pointing or what was the name of the last town he passed.
In short there was no way I could give him any assistance because using sat nav had robbed him of his inbuilt man ability to find his way around.
So imagine his consternation when I told him that my location didn't have a postcode and the name of my location (a railway signalbox) was no help because his satnav couldn't find that either.
He drove around for five hours before he found me just after 06.00

So that partly explains why I hate satnav, it makes dumb people dumber.
There are many reported cases of satnav sending idiots down roads inappropriate for their vehicle type.
IMO (just like mobile phones) it's also a big distraction and a major safety hazard.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My PCX

Post by Woolley »

That's why if I wanna go somewhere like that I find it on google maps and put the exact coordinates in. Satnav has never let me down in 3 years driving. And I couldn't care less about how manly reading a map makes me :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You're not even manly enough to ride a scooter these days never mind read a map.
Could it be that you is now a big puff and a batty boy...? :lol: