My PCX

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Firepriest

My PCX

Post by Firepriest »

The attachment IMG_0955 2.jpg is no longer available
IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0951.jpg (159.94 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: My PCX

Post by maddiedog »

Looking good! Any plans for mods, or are you going to leave it stock?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Firepriest

Post by Firepriest »

I want to/will do when my pocket allows. I've seen so many mods I'm spoilt for choice.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Nice. A good cheap one to start with is change the smaller lower lights (sidelights?) to these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-T10-W5W-501 ... 43ab031fa5

And itll make it look like this:

Pretty good for £1.12
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Firepriest

Post by Firepriest »

Nice one Woolley. Are they straight bulb swaps? I only ask as I'm really no good at electrics and wires.
Firepriest

Post by Firepriest »

Also, is it £1.12 per bulb or for the two
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

they were literally the cheapest on ebay, id probably go for these, there from UK and not hong kong.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-ps-T10-501- ... 1c250d96be

Thats definetely for two aswell, yep they just swap straight over.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

So these leds match the brightness of the headlights or are they brighter? Away from home so cant check right now as to how bright and white the headlights are
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

There not as bright as the headlights, but there a much nicer colour, and brighter than the originals. Ive had them in my cars too, you can see them in my sig. Both pics are with just sidelights on.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Downside is it makes headlights look yellow as these are a really sharp white with slight blue tinge.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Might leave em then
Firepriest

Post by Firepriest »

Ordered. Nice 1. First mod. Apart from my topbox and baseplate, if you can call that a mod. That's the only downside to the PCX, you got to drill holes in the back to fit a topbox plate but hey!
Firepriest

Post by Firepriest »

Hi Woolley, how you doing? I got those bulbs and installed them. They look cool. But I wanted to know is, are there any bulbs I can get for the main headlight to match that have the same white/blue tint as those. Also, forgive my ignorance, would the main headlight bulbs be legal? I've heard so many things about LEDs that I'm kinda unsure.
Cheers in advance.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My PCX

Post by Woolley »

I wouldn't get LED's as headlights. They don't actually shoot a beam pattern and you wouldn't be able to see where you were going. If you wanted it exactly the same as the LED colour you would need a HID kit which is very pricey. You can get close to the LED colour with some standard halogen bulbs but usually at the expense of light output. I've got the same LED bulbs in my car for sidelights and I ended up getting some mtec cosmo blue headlight bulbs to go with them. The colour doesn't completely match but they look alot whiter than before, much less yellow. I'm not sure if they make them in the size for the PCX though, and to be honest I don't know what headlight size the PCX takes. Beware though there is ALOT of headlights out there (including philips bluevision ultra which i refunded) that claim to be a bright white with a hint of blue and they are just as yellow as bog standard halogens.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Woolley wrote: HID kit which is very pricey.
It would be illegal to fit one to a PCX and ride it on UK roads.
You are not allowed to retro-fit HID kits to any vehicle in the UK unless it had HID lights when it was originally manufactured.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My PCX

Post by Woolley »

I think it came down to as long as the beam pattern is ok and there not dazzling people, and there not a stupid blue or purple colour there generally accepted. They really need to be in a projector housing, not reflector to have a decent beam pattern though. There has been ALOT of talk about it on the VW golf forum I go on too and someone actually spoke to the DVLA about it and got an email reply. I'll try find it tomorrow but right now I'm going to sleep.
Firepriest

Post by Firepriest »

Thanks for the reply guys. Still unsure. Do I / don't I. Aghh!
I might have to change them back, purely for aesthetic purpose matching. But I do prefer the LEDs. They look so much sharper and clearer. I feel they compliment the PCX better as well. Oh well. Thanks again anyway.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My PCX

Post by Woolley »

Leave them in for a bit, I ended up growing quite fond of the contrast between the two.
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

gn2 wrote:
You are not allowed to retro-fit HID kits to any vehicle in the UK unless it had HID lights when it was originally manufactured.
I know of of owners on the Deauville forum who have fitted HID conversions with out any legal issues. I believe bikes are OK to retro fit HID but it is illegal to retro fit to cars unless they have self leveling head lamps.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

My PCX

Post by Alibally »

JGC wrote:
gn2 wrote:
I know of of owners on the Deauville forum who have fitted HID conversions with out any legal issues. I believe bikes are OK to retro fit HID but it is illegal to retro fit to cars unless they have self leveling head lamps.

Cars have to have self level sensors to keep the aim correct and headlamp washers. Mercs have a system that sprays the headlamps about every 12 presses of the windshield washers. Other manufacturers might do this as well.