New bloke here - my wife's PCX + bling

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

bikeypikey

New bloke here - my wife's PCX + bling

Post by bikeypikey »

Just found this site and it looks great. I am a Brit who has been working/living in Thailand since 2005. I'm married to a local lass who had a Honda AirBlade for the past 4 years. The PCX 150 has been released here so I got one for her and put a bit of bling on it. I don't know the brand name of the wheels e.t.c but can find out from the dealer if people are interested.

I ride a Triumph Bonneville but here in Thailand, scoots are the way to go. I have marginal interest in most of them as they are just a cheap commuter, but the PCX is pretty funky and has a bit of get up and go, plus a decent road presence. Anyway, here is her bike.

Cheers,

Pikey.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Re: New bloke here - my wife's PCX + bling

Post by edscoot »

Hi, and welcome.

That 150 looks nice. I would love to have that seat. What tyres are those? Are the rims the same size as the original for the 150?

I guess we all want to know what the speed & acceleration is like on the 150.

I've been planing to hardtail a bonnie (t120 or tr6) ever since a friend of mine had one - looked fantastic, a bit like: http://choppahead.com/bikes/31/
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Awesome bike, and pretty wife. :P

I second what edscoot said - this is the first 150 we've seen. How is the acceleration, and what's the top speed on it?

Did you black out the forks, windshield, and rear cover yourself? It looks cool. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
bikeypikey

Post by bikeypikey »

Thanks for the welcome.

The wheels are down 1" from stock being 13" and the tyres are IRC MB99s 130/70-13 rear and 130/60-13 front. Seems to ride smooth on these but a little sharper steering than her old AirBlade which had 14" wheels. The seat is a simple bolt on replacement available here for about 50 quid.

As for performance, hard to tell as we need to put a few miles on it before giving it some proper stick. I run a bike rental shop here and have a PCX 125. What I will do at some point is bring it home and drag race them side by side to see the difference and then let you know.

Cheers,

Pikey.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

loving the windshield and the seat.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

nice looking bike. seat goes well, i blacked my transmission cover and wanted to do the forks but never found the time to do it. gal it looks as good as i thought it would
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

I loved seeing the PCXs on the streets of Thailand, they looked so majestic compared to the other scoots and semi-automatics :D
bikeypikey

Post by bikeypikey »

Thanks for the compliemtns and feedback everyone. She's now had the bike a little more than a month and has just had the first 1000km service and she's very happy with it. Meanwhile, I got to buzz about on it a bit and was well impressed. So much so that I sold her Airblade and my little Honda CZ-i 110 and managed to find a 2 year old PCX with 12,000km on it for a bargain price of 50,000 baht (about a thousand quid). The sale of the other two scooters covered that so I've convinced myself it was "free" ;)

I've already swapped out the plastics as whilst the bodywork was the nice silver/titanium colour, the plastics and the seat were that shitty brown.

Then I swapped out the variator and weights for some mysterious parts from a performance shop that came in a Honda parts bag. Dunno what they came from originally but it's added 6kph to the top end and given the bike a bit more poke off the line. Now it doesn't hit the rev limiter, but simply runs out of steam at 110-111kph.

Then I replaced the stock absolutely crap tyres with oversize IRC Wing - 120/70-14 rear and 110/70-14 front. Wow, hell of a difference, though part of that may have been that the bike had been standing for a year before I bought it and the original tyres could've hardened.

Lastly, and my favourite mod so far is a new bi-xenon headlamp unit with Angel Eyes. Not cheap and a nightmare to fit but IMO, transforms the look of the bike.

Turned off:

Turned on:

With Angel Eyes on:

The main reason I bought it (apart from me being a tart) is that it really adds visibility to other road users. I'll probably save up and get one for Mrs Pikey's bike too.

I plan to do more mods to the PCX on a monthly basis as time and cash allow. On the list so far is shocks (do the stockers have any damping? a fruity pipe, possibly a K&N or one of those induction pipes, some bling footboards, and then replacement handlebars & controls.

Let me know what you think and I'd welcome ideas for customizing.

Cheers,

Pikey.
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Love the lights. How does the colour temp look normally as compared to show they show in the pictures?
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

are the smaller lights on the front red? Definitely wouldnt get away with that here.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Sweet bike, love the headlights and the body color.

How did you find out that you could fit the 120/70-14s on the rear and the 110/70-14s on the front? The stocks are 90/90-14 on the front and 100/90-14 on the back, so that's quite a lot more width. I bet it's a lot more stable in the corners.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
bikeypikey

Post by bikeypikey »

Thanks guys. ;)

@Teamtd11 - the lights look the same in reality as in the pics. Bluer with the Angel Eyes on and they really stand out amongst the hordes of scoots here with regular headlights.

@Wooley - yes, a kind of purpley/red and I know the old Bill would have me in an instant if I was back in Blighty. That's the cool thing about living here - so long as you are not in somebody's face, people generally leave you to just get on with it.

@Maddiedog - There's a PCX performance shop here in town and whilst I was skeptical of the 20mm increase in width, the lady in the shop assured me the tyres would sit on the rims OK. She appears to have been right and yes, you're right, much better in the corners and just a more comfortable and confident ride overall.

Cheers,

Pikey.