Snow Time.

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Snow Time.

Post by edscoot »

Well, I meant to take the panels off the scoot and set about getting it ready for winter but in the end I didn't have enough time - so I went for a ride instead :)

The weather here in the north of England is now getting nasty - very cold, sleet, snow, hail etc. One question about the PCX remained unanswered for me: How would it behave in snow? The last time I rode in snow was the winter of 1981/2 and that was on a trials bike with low gearing and off road tyres, it wasn't a very nice experience but the weather was a lot worse then than now.

Anyway, I went for a ride with no particular plan of where to go (the best rides always seem to be these ones), the only thing I had to do was get some petrol for the next three days commuting (I only work Wed - Fri), I went into the countryside around where I live and meandered along the country lanes collecting mud on all the bits I meant to winterise. In the distance were the North Pennines, covered in snow and topped with murky dark cloud hiding the skyline. Zipping along the roads around Kirkoswald I decided to head for the hills and see how bad the snow was on the A686 and Hartside Pass (The A686 is a very popular road with bikers and has been voted one of the 10 best roads in Europe for its views - not that you could see much in the cloud - check out youtube for some on board footage).

I went past Renwick and up the side road that joins the A686 - this is a steep road in places with some sharp bends that can surprise you if you don't know the road. Climbing up, getting steeper and steeper, the road began to get snow on it (this road won't get gritted unless it's very bad). Soon the back wheel was slipping around a bit and I had to reduce speed to walking pace. The snow was wet and not very thick but I know that my car (rear wheel drive and automatic), would almost certainly be near its limits in these conditions and on such steep sections of road especially with some of the tight bends, in fact I wouldn't take it up this road in snow. The PCX however didn't really have a problem - I wish I'd brought a camera so I could have taken a picture of the wheel tracks. This scooter continues to really amaze me with what it can do - I never believed a 125 twist 'n' go was anything more than a toy for commuting.

I joined the A686 and climbed over Hartside Pass and went down the other side to Alston (where I used to live) and from there headed home via the A689 towards the A69 new Brampton and back to Carlisle. Freezing cold feet by the time I got home.

Take a look at google maps to follow the route I took if you like - Carlisle, Cumbria, UK, then: Wetheral, Wetheral Pastures, Armathwaite - go over the bridge and keep right, Kirkoswald - turn left at the first junction and head for Renwick - just before you enter the village there is a sign for Gamblesby, Melmerby and Alston - take this road and keep on it heading for Alston, When you climb up the hill to the A686 turn left and then head towards Alston, go over Hartside Pass (passing the cafe on your right)and head down towards Alston. Before going over the bridge at the town turn left onto the A689 (Google maps has Raise Bank written on its pic). The A689 is a good riding road like the A686. Lots of nice bends but it doesn't have the views that you get on the 686. Follow the road to its junction with the A69 and turn left and head towards Carlisle - if you want to, it's a boring road to ride and too much traffic and usually speeding.

Would I ride the PCX in the snow again? Only if I had to, but it's nice to know it can cope :D Make sure you've heated grips though!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Snow Time.

Post by maddiedog »

Nice, sounds like you had fun. Even though you didn't get pics, the descriptions of the road and landscapes paint a picture in my head.

What an adventure though, I'm jealous. Glad to hear you kept safe and only got a bit cold. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Snow Time.

Post by rich666 »

Nice ride, I'm just glad the snow has stayed in the west so far we've had one flurry and it was to wet to stick around.

My PCX is now officially garaged for the winter and I'll be using "Ratty" my new(old) winter hack scoot.
it tastes like...Eagle!